Hybrid View

Default Completely stupid question...

...but we're heading to CSS in September for our first visit to any Couples resort. Stupid Question Du Jour: How do you pronounce Sans Souci? Give it to me fonetiklee, please. Muchas Gracias.

San Sooo See

Hey! So happy for you guys! We have booked this for Oct. 2013, our 25th anniversary, it will be our first time to a Couples, or AI, or out of the country together! I hope you have a great time and if you get the chance post a review, I ~love~ to read those and sometimes people say things that turn out to be great tips that I add to my notebook! I am curious how people pronounce it too, we say "Sans" like Sand without the "d", and "Souci" like the Japanese word for Sushi, so "San Sue-she" ... but I don't know if that's right or not!

sanz soo see
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

San Soocie

sahn sooo SEE....but don't worry - your pronunciation will get much better after a few rum punches!!

The keyboard doesn't contain the symbols necessary to spell the phrase phonetically, but perhaps this will help: sanz soo-see.
    Last edited by Pamela; August 14th, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

If you are my husband you pronounce it San serously he refuses to say it correctly.
    Honeymoon @ CSA 2010; CSS 2011 & 2012; CTI June 2013

San Sue-see

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    San Sue-see
    Another pronounciation would be heh-vin!
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog:

sahns sue see

Thanks to all. Now we won't be the obvious newbies that everyone snickers at. At least not in this way.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the people who pronounce it correctly! No Sushi! :-D

It is french and means 'without care'. The 'Sans' part is pronounced just like the final part of the word liaison; as in ON that starts with an s (but not pronounced like Son -which would be sun! Jeez |English is hard, especially when it's French!) Souci is pronounced soo see. S'on soo see. See?

Whilst I am on the subject (and in Pedantry mode!) Au Natural should really be Au Naturelle.

Pedantry done. Over and out.

THE Definitive Answer!!!

Just to clear some of these pronunciation tips, it's not sanz, it's san. Sans is French for "without", and the second "s" is silent.

Souci, pron "sue-see" is French for "care".

Sans souci translates to "without care", which is a perfect name for a Coupels Resort in Jamaica!