Default Drinks- Hummingbird & Purple Rain

Heard so many people mention the Hummingbird & Purple Rain, wondering- what is in these? Looking forward to trying them soon, but trying to fill the time while I'm waiting. Thanks much!

My wife loves both, Purple Rain ingredients Half vodka a shot of blue curaco ,grenadine,pinapple juice & lime juice. I have watched them make many,they are allways a little diferent from bar to bar, However be warned 3 is the most my wife got thru before having to take a nap.The hummingbirds are like a awsome milk shake with a little alcohol good to drink during the day in paradise not sure of the ingredient. Im sure we will have both this fall.

I have the recipes at home and will post later.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLa Land View Post
    Heard so many people mention the Hummingbird & Purple Rain, wondering- what is in these? Looking forward to trying them soon, but trying to fill the time while I'm waiting. Thanks much!
    from drinksmixer.com

Hummingbird
    Scale ingredients to servings
    1 oz bananas
    1 oz coconut cream
    1 oz creme de bananes
    1 oz rum
    1/2 oz Tia Maria® coffee liqueur
    1 oz strawberries
    crushed ice

Purple Rain
    1 1/2 oz gin
    cranberry juice
    1 splash Blue Curacao liqueur
    1 splash sweet and sour mix
    1 splash soda water

Jeff and Susan
    CSS: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010,
    2011, 2012, 2013
    CTI: 2009
    CN: 2011

Oh yummy!! Can't wait! One more month and I'll have my butt in the sand and one or both of these in my hand! Thanks for the warning Mr Jellis. I'm a lightweight so I'm sure one or two & I'll be good.

My new favorite: BBC (Bailey's, Banana, & Coconut (not on the menu...but well known throughout.

I would not recommend the recipe listed from Drinkmixer above for the Hummingbird. A real banana is a must. Those banana liquers are just nasy in place of a real banana! In Jamaica, including at Couples the recipe varies slightly from one bartender to another but the basics are as follows:

banana
    Tia Maria
    rum cream
    Strawberry syrup
    milk
    crushed ice

If you substitute Simple Syrup for the Strawberry Syrup you will end up with a good Dirty Banana!

When I make mine at home, I use fresh strawberries instead of the strawberry syrup. It is really good that way.
    Linda

Oh, and I forgot I never have Tia maria either, so I substitute Kuloua, which does pretty well. It may not be exactly the same, but it is exceptionally close. My favorite summer drink during these really hot days we have had this year.
    Linda

Hi LaLa Land,
    I'd go with the recipe from rhallva. When I make them I usually use fresh strawberries instead of the syrup and Creme de Cocoa instead of Tia Maria. They come out a little thicker but they're still darn good. Here's a pic of me toasting with my Hummingbird at CSA to you for a great trip to which ever Couples resort you're headed to. By the way, if the Purple Rain is the drink I think it is...skip it. It tastes like that grape flavored medicine we used to give to our kids called Benadryl. It was on my list of drinks for the day and no one in our group would help me finish it. Enjoy your time in Paradise!
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BTW- When I run out of Rum Cream or Tia Maria I substitute Bailey's and Kalua is it's still a good drink. You do what you have to do. But if I'm out of bananas.... I just skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
    from drinksmixer.com

Hummingbird
    Scale ingredients to servings
    1 oz bananas
    1 oz coconut cream
    1 oz creme de bananes
    1 oz rum
    1/2 oz Tia Maria® coffee liqueur
    1 oz strawberries
    crushed ice

Purple Rain
    1 1/2 oz gin
    cranberry juice
    1 splash Blue Curacao liqueur
    1 splash sweet and sour mix
    1 splash soda water
    Is the Purple Rain a smoothie (blended) type drink or over ice?
    Thanks
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"