Default TIPS (Chocolate Tips that is)

Hi,
    I know you can't tip empoyee's at couples but I heard the staff loves chocolate. We were wondering who do you give the chocolates to, and how do you distribute them.

Id love to take the staff some Isadelights!!!!
    -Otter,

We take 10 bags of the mini Snicker's bars. I hand them out to the Watersports guys, bartenders, maids, gardeners, front desk staff, etc... We hand out 1 1/2 bags per day. When we are at CSA everyone knows when the "candy man" is on vacation.

One trip we had along a bunch of different kinds of candy...Paydays, Twix, Milkyways, and Starburst. Most of the staff just wanted the Snicker's.

We usually give the watersports guys a few in the morning and then come back after lunch and get the guys that come in later. Most of the bar staff goes to lunch around 1-2, so we hand most of the candy out around 2-3. We leave a candy bar with a note for our maid each day and one for our turn down lady. If we have a mini bar we will leave one with a note for the bar stocker.

M&M's The fun size packs are great!!
    Kristen

I brought mini bags of M & M's, etc. and left a couple each day on the bed for the maid (and later, for the 'turn-down' mail, along with a brief Thank You note for their terrific service.

You can leave some in your room for house keeping and some at the front desk.

Leave a note saying they are a gift for house keeping when you leave them in you room.
    Irie Mon

We brought a box of M&Ms (regular size) and handed them out to whomever we wanted to thank. Some to our maid, some to our favorite activity directors, and some to our favorite bartenders. I know they like chocolate, and from what we were told, it is very expensive in Jamaica. So, any type you bring will put a smile on the faces of those you give them to.
    Linda

Does anyone have a problem while bringing chocolate through customs? Our travel agent had told us not to bring any type of food from the U.S. or back vice versa? Any info and or advice on this would be appreciated. I just thought this would be a nice little treat for them when we go if it is being done and there are no issues in doing so. Can not wait..... 24 days!!!

G

From the USA Customs and Border Protection.

Meats, livestock, poultry, and their products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States

Bakery items, candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products)are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Dairy items such as milk, yogurt, butter are generally admissible, although this is subject to change, depending on disease outbreaks. Hard cured cheese such as parmesan or cheddar are generally admissible, soft cheeses such as brie and soft curd cheese and cheese in water(ricotta, feta, etc.) are not.

Fish, if it is for your personal use, is generally admissible.

Condiments such as oil, vinegar, mustard, catsup, pickles, syrup, honey, jelly, jam, etc., are generally admissible.

From the Jamaican Customs:

Prohibited /Restricted Goods
    · The importation of controlled drugs and utensils used therewith, is absolutely prohibited.
    · The importation of firearms, ammunition and explosives is
    prohibited unless accompanied by the prescribed permit
    issued in Jamaica.
    · Fruits, vegetables, plants and live animals may be imported
    only if the owner is in possession of a valid permit issued in
    Jamaica.
    Irie Mon

Chocolate is OK

From the Jamaican Customs site.

Prohibited /Restricted Goods
    · The importation of controlled drugs and utensils used
    therewith, is absolutely prohibited.

· The importation of firearms, ammunition and explosives is
    prohibited unless accompanied by the prescribed permit
    issued in Jamaica.

· Fruits, vegetables, plants and live animals may be imported
    only if the owner is in possession of a valid permit issued in
    Jamaica.
    Irie Mon

It is OK to bring items back to the USA, just review the list below.

From the USA Customs and Border Protection.

Many fruits and vegetables are either prohibited from entering the United States or require an import permit.

Meats, livestock, poultry, and their products are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States.

Bakery items, candy, chocolate, and cured cheese are generally admissible. Canned goods and goods in vacuum packed jars (other than those containing meat or poultry products)are also generally admissible if being imported for personal use.

Dairy items such as milk, yogurt, butter are generally admissible, although this is subject to change, depending on disease outbreaks.

Fish, if it is for your personal use, is generally admissible.

Condiments such as oil, vinegar, mustard, catsup, pickles, syrup, honey, jelly, jam, etc., are generally admissible.
    Irie Mon

Default Thank you very much.

Actually, this is the first time I've ever even left the country and find myself at little nervous shall we say. I just want to make sure that I do not do/bring anything that would cause a hold up in customs or immigration. Just thought the chocolate idea was fabulous! Otherwise it just seems very odd to not tip for services provided well. Thank you very much for answering my question. I really appreciate it!

I've read on line through the government website that I should register my hand/palm camcorder and digital camera because of duty free entrance/departure? The website I swear speaks in riddles. I'm going from U.S. to Jamaica and then unfortunately come home to U.S. Is this something I should do prior as it states on the website....I'm so confused, let me explain.

Traveling on Oct 5th to Knoxville,TN. This is where my daughter lives and she is getting married at couples in Jamaica. We then "4 of us all together" are leaving Knoxville on the 6th of October and going to Jamaica together. So, my question is the registering of my photography equipment. Do I do that from Michigan before arriving in Knoxville the day prior. Or, wait until I leave Knoxville or I don't even know we may be connecting in Florida. So, do I do it there.

So many questions so little time.

We are all staying there from the 6th until 13th. Any one else going to be there at this time?

I thank all of you for your feedback on chocolate. I will for sure bring a lot to hand out.

Thanks
    GF

I have traveled all over the world for years and never register my laptop, cameras or anything else.

I have never been asked in Jamaica what electronic items I was bringing in or on any return flights to the USA.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by gmfreel View Post
    Otherwise it just seems very odd to not tip for services provided well. T
    Fill out the comment card at the end of your stay. THE best tip you can leave, and one that won't cause anyone any grief.