Thread: Rum Prices??

Default Rum Prices??

Hi everyone! I am going to CN in October and am wondering where you can find the best prices on Rum, and about how much it costs? I am trying to work on my budget and figuring out how much money I need to set aside for rum.... =) Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Julie

The airport as we were leaving had the best prices. I think I paid $16.99 for a fifth of the Appleton VX, in the gift shop I think it was $24.99.
    Becky & Dave
    CSS July 2012 (Wedding @ CSS 7.18.12)
    CN July 2012

I just got back from CN on wednesday, the cheapest place to get it is the airport on your way out. The rum cream is $14 us for a 1 liter bottle, so is the appleton rum, next cheapest place is in time sq its $14.95 a bottle. At the resort its $26.95 a bottle. I brought backmy limit 10 bottles, 8 rum cream and 2 appleton special.

Good grief, how is the limit 10 bottles, I thought the best we could do was 2?

You can bring back 2 liters of alcohol (I believe it is per adult, but not sure). Rum cream does not have enough alcohol in it to be counted towards your limit.
    Linda

I think you can only do 2 bottles pp of Rum, but the rum cream you can buy more of.... I am not positive on that though

Oh my, if I can buy more Rum Cream because the alcohol content is less, then I will have to watch out to not exceed the weight limit. I love that stuff and a couple of bottles does not last the year between trips.

Quick word on the "limit" - you can bring back more than the so-called limit. (I'm speaking of the US; any other country, you're on your own!)

The limit is how much you can bring back without paying any duty. You can bring back more than that, as long as you declare it to the guy at customs. You might have to pay a duty, but odds are they'll just waive you through. A couple of years ago, I brought back over six liters (well over the "limit" for two people) and they just let it pass -- I guess it's more hassle for them to ring up the duty than to let it slide. I had an identical experience five years ago bringing 8 liters of wine over the Canadian border (land crossing).

Of course, if you don't declare it and they find it, (a) you won't have the rum anymore, and (b) you'll likely miss your connection for the next plane!

Yes, but now that Cruzan is making rum cream and you can find it in the states and it is just as good if not better than Sangsters, I don't need to worry about bringing it back anymore!

Actually, you can bring back as much as you want, you just have to pay duty on the amount past the limit. My husband and I brought back and claimed 6 bottles of Rum Cream, two bottles of Special Reserve Rum, and two bottles of Cocomania, expecting to have to pay a little duty, but they passed us through like it was nothing. Rum Cream contains less alcohol, so you are allowed more bottles of that than your regular Rum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby and Lisa View Post
    Actually, you can bring back as much as you want, you just have to pay duty on the amount past the limit. My husband and I brought back and claimed 6 bottles of Rum Cream, two bottles of Special Reserve Rum, and two bottles of Cocomania, expecting to have to pay a little duty, but they passed us through like it was nothing. Rum Cream contains less alcohol, so you are allowed more bottles of that than your regular Rum.
    Depends of where your going through customs (US anyhow). We went through Memphis, here's the information we received for TN.

(2) Except as provided in 57-3-207 for purchases made by an individual at a winery licensed pursuant to 57-3-207, and notwithstanding the prohibition in subdivision (b)(1), it shall be lawful for any individual to transport not more than five gallons (5 gals.) of alcoholic beverages or wine into or within this state for the personal or household use of that individual.

No worries

yes I brought back that much ohh and 2 bottles of wine forgot them. I looked on my airline website which was american airlines and on the page of what you can bring they say the limit is 5 liters per person of 20 - 70% by volume, anything over 70% is not allowed. I was thinking prior to leaving the states to go to Jamaica that the rum cream would fall under this limit but rum cream is only 15% so it does not count. Also as a side note I found Appleton rum at my local abc store and the price was the same $14 a bottle. The sangsters rum cream is not available in the states as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaRich View Post
    Depends of where your going through customs (US anyhow). We went through Memphis, here's the information we received for TN.

(2) Except as provided in 57-3-207 for purchases made by an individual at a winery licensed pursuant to 57-3-207, and notwithstanding the prohibition in subdivision (b)(1), it shall be lawful for any individual to transport not more than five gallons (5 gals.) of alcoholic beverages or wine into or within this state for the personal or household use of that individual.

No worries
    Considering that's 18.75 liters (per individual; double that for a couple), definitely no wories. The cost of checking extra bags for that much liquor would dwarf the costs of the rum!

In the past I've always found the prices in the duty free in Jamaica to be a big savings over the prices at home. Apparently this has changed in the past couple of years as the last time I was there the prices were basically the same as at home, there was no incentive at all to buy there.

Vicster, no true about Cruzan. I've had a local store look into it for me after I bought their last 3 bottles. They don't make it any more! I am rationing it again as we won't be getting back to CSA until April. Good luck.