Hybrid View

Default A gift-hangover cure--doctor recommended

I've seen several posts about the fun everyone has at the various resorts and how great the staff is to freely keep your beverage refreshed.

If you want to prevent feeling bad the next morning I.e. the dreaded hangover, before bed take a 12 hour Aleve and a Zantac 150 with a full glass if water. Both OTC items. you won't feel bad the next morning! This was doctor recommended by a friend of mine -- believe it or not!!!

There it is, my gift to you to enjoy all your future stays at couples resorts!!

Jeanne

Thanks Jeanne for the recommendation. I have a secret and ancient native-american method for preventing hangovers. Before drinking eat 6 whole natural almonds. It works. I usually add a Vitamin B at the same time. Then drink as much as you want. Not really sure of the origin but my great-great grandmother was Cherokee so I am attributing the secret to her and our family's propensity to over indulge in the demon rum. I have shared it with friends and they now swear by it.

just pace yourself, get enough rest and eat
    aleve can be really hard on your stomach

Most of the pain from a hangover is due to dehydration which the alcohol causes. The water could be replaced with a sports drink before bed to also replace electrolytes that are one of the only things missing from that wonderful rum. Most of the couples should provide one brand or another of these. At CSA go to the health bar at the sports complex. Of course the Aleve can never hurt. No pun!

[B]I do agree that pacing yourself is key, I usually drink a bottle (or in this case it will be a glass of) water after every couple drinks, it helps keep me hydrated. On an evening when I may have missed a few glasses of water, I will drink one pack of E-mergency before bed, works like a charm every time!! The Almond thing… now that sounds interesting, I have actually heard that before.
    11 more day till CN

You should never take any medications without checking with your health care provider especially if you are currently taking medicine or using OTC medications or supplements. And especially when adding alcohol into the mix.

Yes, emergen-c is the way to go! Vitamins and water. Perfect.

As someone else mentioned, alcohol causes dehydration, so as long as you drink plenty of water while drinking and have a good amount right before bed you'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCouple27 View Post
    As someone else mentioned, alcohol causes dehydration, so as long as you drink plenty of water while drinking and have a good amount right before bed you'll be okay.
    I often use the Jamaican cure, which is coconut water right from the coconut. This is called a "jelly coconut". At CSA they always have a few at Seagrapes, until they run out. When you are feeling low and wrung out, go get one. Trust.

Coconut water apparently has an almost identical electrolyte content as what's in our blood, and it is very effective at re-hydrating a person. There are also stories that it can safely be used as an IV in an emergency situation when no medical grade IV's are available. Obviously, I have not tested this. YMMV.

All I know is that it works. In fact, I drink coconut water all the time now, though it is prepackaged (Vita-Coco from Costco). I built two decks on my house during this super-heat-wave-filled summer. I have no doubts that coconut water helped me through that process more than gatorade ever could have. I also drink one before going to bed, because I sleep better and longer.

PLUS!!! It's just fun to drink right out of a coconut! You're in Jamaica mon!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff542 View Post
    I often use the Jamaican cure, which is coconut water right from the coconut. This is called a "jelly coconut". At CSA they always have a few at Seagrapes, until they run out. When you are feeling low and wrung out, go get one. Trust.

Coconut water apparently has an almost identical electrolyte content as what's in our blood, and it is very effective at re-hydrating a person. There are also stories that it can safely be used as an IV in an emergency situation when no medical grade IV's are available. Obviously, I have not tested this. YMMV.

All I know is that it works. In fact, I drink coconut water all the time now, though it is prepackaged (Vita-Coco from Costco). I built two decks on my house during this super-heat-wave-filled summer. I have no doubts that coconut water helped me through that process more than gatorade ever could have. I also drink one before going to bed, because I sleep better and longer.

PLUS!!! It's just fun to drink right out of a coconut! You're in Jamaica mon!
    I second coconut water!!

Unfortunate for me, I have found that running 5 miles is a great hangover cure (ugh!). It is very hard to do sometimes, but as badly as I may feel, it seems the body says "whoa - I have to start pumping blood and moving oxygen...no time to feel like crud!" Trust me...it works every time.

(Yeah, I'm predictable )
    Last edited by Bert; March 8th, 2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Update

Take milkthistle for your liver.

WHOO HOO 37 days til CTI

After a night of heavy drinking I always drink as much water as I can possibly stand to drink. It's usually not fun because I'm full already but since I've started doing that I haven't had a hangover - and it's been years!!! It's really all about the hydration!

I'm Irish.... That being said.... Pacing myself is when I'm the driver. My mother told me years ago, two aspirin. So right before I finish my last beer, I also take two Aleve. Aleve is really amazing when it comes to hangovers. I've not once experienced an hangover after taking Aleve.
    To be honest, I found it hard to even drink last time in Jamaica, It was to hot and my drinks kept melting away..... However this June will be my first time in a couples resort.... So who knows!
    Rachel-

Rachel, you found it hard to drink in Jamaica and you call yourself Irish? You should be ashamed!!!May the Fathers upstairs cover their ears!!!