Thread: one way airfare

Default one way airfare

has anyone ever booked one way airfare to and from Jamaica. I just did this and then a friend said that i can be immediately exported back to the u.s. without question. to make matters worse, i booked out of madison, but back into milwaukee.
    my reasons were financial and time. getting to the resort as soon as possible and also returning without a redeye were key. my hubby and i will only be going to couples for that week, plus i will be 8 months pregnant. is this seriously a problem. help!

As long as you have a return ticket, you should be fine. I've never seen anything that said it had to be a round trip ticket, on the same airline. You just have to show you are planning to leave.

We've done it and had no problems. First time left from Orlando and returned to Boston. Second time left from New York and back to Boston. I don't know where your freind got the information but the worst we suffered was we got extra "random" checks on the way out of Orlando.

I'm pretty sure your friend is mistaken on the deportation thing! As long as you have a return flight information written down on your "entry" papers you fill out on the plane for customs, you should have no problems at all! No worries!

Hi,
    We've only done this once, but we flew out of Orlando on AirTran, and they did ask us at check in if we had a return flight on another airline and we told the rep that we had our return booked on JetBlue and that's all it took. I have NEVER hear that you could be required to leave the country for doing this. You just need to establish that you have a return ticket to the US.

Happy Travels!
    suzyQ

It is not a problem as long as you can show proof that you have purchased a return flight from Jamaica back to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by madtown mom View Post
    has anyone ever booked one way airfare to and from Jamaica. I just did this and then a friend said that i can be immediately exported back to the u.s. without question. to make matters worse, i booked out of madison, but back into milwaukee.
    my reasons were financial and time. getting to the resort as soon as possible and also returning without a redeye were key. my hubby and i will only be going to couples for that week, plus i will be 8 months pregnant. is this seriously a problem. help!
    We book our flights one way and return to a different city without getting deported! We fly from JFK(new York) to Montego bay so so we can be on the beach before noon! We fly back into Boston because it's only 1 hour from home. JFK is 3+ hours away. They do ask for your return flight info but as long as its already booked you are all set.

thanks everyone. that's what i thought. my friend is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by madtown mom View Post
    thanks everyone. that's what i thought. my friend is crazy!
    No, you're friend's not crazy, just didn't have all the facts. As others have said, just be ready to show your return flight info (don't you have to put that on the Customs/Immigration form anyway?) and they won't have a problem at Immigration.

I would think more the problem would be going to Jamaica 8 months pregnant.

I don't have a comment on the flights, but I noticed you said you'd be 8 months along... have you checked the airline policies on flying while pregnant and checked with your Dr? I thought I remember reading that many airlines have policies against late-term pregnancies because of the risk of labor. I just did a little googling and it looks like it varies a lot between airlines. I'm sure you've probably already thought of it, I just wanted to make sure! Hope you enjoy your baby-moon!

no worries everyone. most airlines, like the two that i am taking, require a doctor's note if you are traveling withing 30 days of expected delivery. i am "due" the second week of january, so thanksgiving is well outside of the 30 day mark. now hopefully the baby agrees