Default Passport w/ maiden name + marriage cert?

Hello all!
    I made our reservation using my new last name but didn't realize i would have to pay passport renewal fees just to get my name changed. Has anyone traveled with a passport with your maiden name and your marriage certificate? I've read online that other people have but I wanted to get more info about it. Thanks!!!

CSS in a little over 2 months!

If the name on your airline ticket does not match the name on your passport exactly you will not get though security and won't be allowed to get on the plane! You probably won't even get past the ticket counter.

[
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Better make some changes. I am unsure if this is a honeymoon. If so, I think the only option is to change the name on the reservation and pay the fees to do that or delay the honeymoon. You won't be able to change the name on your passport until after the marriage by providing documentation etc. When I got married and when I got divorced (yikes!) I had to have the passport changed. My agent for my honeymoon actually told me not to make my reservation in my married name due to this issue. Unless something has changed, i think these are your options. If it isn't a honeymoon, make quick moves to get it changed and pay the fees to expedite the passport process if necessary. I am so sorry as I am sure this is stressful. I would rather try to sweet talk a travel agent or airline into lowering change fees rather than try to sweet talk TSA.

Wally is right. In order to get on the plane your passport has to match the airline ticket. While Couples, on one hand, isn't so worried, Immigration, on the other, has rules it has to play by.

I would try the airline before renewing your non-expired passport!! They might be able to change the ticket name much easier!! My wife and I did use her original (maiden name passport and our marriage certificate for a few years until her passport expired but we always had the ticket in her maiden name as well.

You will have to send your passport back with a copy of the marriage certificate and another photo. If your passport is less than a year old, you will not have to pay any fees. I just did mine and it took 3 weeks to come in.

You can get an addendum for your passport that should cost less. At least mine did a few years back. The airlines always had my name messed up so we couldn't go to the kiosk b/c I had a conflict in names. They could distinguish my married/maiden names b/c I had no hyphen...ugh
    The key was that they start w/ your driver's license and then go from there. We did finally! get it all fixed when we sent in our marriage license, as well...what a mess! g/l!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Wally is right, you want to change your passport if you're already married - or change your tickets if it will be your honeymoon since you can't do it that fast.
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by mikkiwin View Post
    Hello all!
    I made our reservation using my new last name but didn't realize i would have to pay passport renewal fees just to get my name changed. Has anyone traveled with a passport with your maiden name and your marriage certificate? I've read online that other people have but I wanted to get more info about it. Thanks!!!

I was is same situation. I travel frequently domestic so i asked TSA and they said that the passport had to match ticket, no exceptions.

If i would have known sooner, i wouldnt have changed my last name with the airline. I had to do a rushon my new passport, and yes pay all the fees again.

I would call airline and change name on ti ket. Ticket and passport names need to macth. They shouldnt give you are hard time if on ticket you have middle initial and passport has full. Same thing for people with a Jr on their passport but not on ticket. But differant last name is going to cause proublems coming and going.

Wally is absolutely correct. Your Id mustmatch the ticket name exactly or you mostprobably will not be flying.

Wally is right. I am a travel agent and Your airline ticket has to match your passport to the letter or you can and likely will get denied boarding. If they do let you board, the might make your day a Bit difficult. Good luck. You will love couples though!!

If its just the hotel reservation and not the plane ticket in your maiden name, you will be better off.

Hello all!

Just book your plane ticket in your maiden name. As long as your name on the ticket matches the name on your passport, you will be fine. You can use your passport as your ID for travel. If the names are different, you will have an issue with the airlines - and if you are somehow permitted to board a plane, with immigration.

If you already have you tickets, pay for the US Passport expedited service to get your passport changed and returned quickly.

I also did not want to change my passport until it expires in a couple years. I booked my airline ticket with my maiden name so it matches my passport name.... even though all my other ID now has my married name. I think there can be an issue of the passport and ticket don't match which is why I did that. If you have them as 2 separate names, I would call your airport to find out if you can change the name on the ticket so they match, or if you'll be ok with just the certificate. Best to definitely take the certificate just in case though! Good luck!!

Hello all!

I wouldn't take a chance on it, I'd pay the fees and get my name changed to match my reservations.
    Irie ,
    (Ladydia) Dianna

CTI 2006, CSA 2007, CN 2008, CN 2009, CN 2010 twice
    CN 2012, CSS 2012, CN 2013

I have traveled by air 3 times in the last year since getting married. I just traveled with my passport with my maiden name and my marriage certificate and I had no trouble at all.

If you book in your maiden name and just show your passport (which still has your maiden name) it's not an issue. I have been doing this for 2.5 years because I refuse to pay $100+ just to change my name on my passport.
    Honeymoon @ CSA 2010; CSS 2011 & 2012; CTI June 2013

My wife and I did the same thing just this past July. She had my last name on the ticket but the passport had her maiden name. It was NOT an issue at all. We flew AA out of Cincy with a layover in Chicago and came back thru Miami. We realized it about 6 weeks before our trip and panicked. We called the airlines as well as TSA and they said that as long as you have your marriage certificate they would let you pass without problems. They said this happens all the time. Of course I can't promise that you won't have an issue, but we did not, both leaving America and coming back. Enjoy the trip.

You need to change your airline ticket or your passport. They must match.

Sorry
    Irie Mon

Thank you everyone! I called the airline and passport agency, both seemed unsure so I went ahead and sent my passport to be changed. In the end I would rather pay the fee and be sure than take any chances. Thanks again!

Thank you everyone! I called the airline and passport agency, both seemed unsure so I went ahead and sent my passport to be changed. In the end I would rather pay the fee and be sure than take any chances. Thanks again!
    Last week i was at airport and TSA wouldnt let someone go through security for this exact reason. She was crying saying she called people and they said no problem...so probably a good idea that made the changes.