Thread: Rituals

Default Rituals

Ritual A fairly common word with a whole lot of functions.

Primarily, a ritual is a set of actions, performed mainly for their symbolic value. It may be prescribed by the traditions of a community, including a religious community. The term usually refers to actions which are stylized, excluding actions which are arbitrarily chosen by the performers.

There is no shortage of rituals in the human species or in the animal world as well. There are the rituals of various worship rites and sacraments of organized religions and cults. There are rites of passage, purifications rites, oaths of allegiance, marriages, funerals, school “rush” traditions, Halloween parties, Christmas shopping and so many more. Shaking hands with someone and saying hello may be termed rituals.

As with anything else that humans have to contend with each and every day of their lives, rituals have their yin and yang too. Some we look forward to with wide eyed excitement. Getting to Couples or getting back to Couples. An exhilarating, uplifting and simply wonderful feelings. We can’t wait.
    Then there are those rituals that are less pleasant and hardly ever looked forward to. Paying your taxes. Working. Very much a ritual. Being ill. And of course, death with a myriad of rituals around the world in every culture.

So the day to day stuff, dragging your ass back and forth to work, shopping, cleaning, brushing your teeth, humans have learned to work all of those rituals and many more, into our daily life. Coffee in the morning. Getting a parking space. Sitting in traffic. Thirty minutes for lunch. Rituals rule.

There is no getting away from it. There are rituals all around us, every day, and a lot of the time, we never give it a second thought. However, when it comes to the rituals surrounding going back home, back to a Couples property, we’re more excited than a pre-pubescent boy or girl after their first kiss. “Whoa. Lets do that again”.

And so it begins. For us, it will be the 37 overall visit to Jamaica, and the 34 to CTI. That’s a ritual indeed. It didn’t start out that way. But we are certainly now, in the groove. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.

With 73 days to go, less by the time this posts, our “systems” begin to behave differently and I think the body knows before our brain begins to grin.

For instance. Just the other day, it was just that. “Just another day”. I’m in the bathroom at 6:15 in the morning, brushing my teeth. Consciously, there were no outward signs that I was aware of, that this was any different from any other morning. Nay, nay I say.

Prior to this incident in the morning, Syl and I have not yet really gotten that “Oh my. We’re going again” feeling. We haven’t really been talking about Jamaica in general.
    We were, however, keeping in touch with the weather conditions concerning Isaac. Looks as though everything is okay there.

So there I am, with toothpaste dripping down my chin, staring at myself in the mirror when, I felt, what seemed to be like a knock, in my heart. Actually, it was two knocks. That go my immediate attention. A few seconds more, another, knock, knock.

I felt as though the reflection in the mirror was trying to communicate with me. But it couldn’t speak, so the image used expressions and eye movements to indicate, well see, that’s a problem.
    At the time this was happening, I was pretty much on auto pilot as I got ready to go to work. But the knock knock got my attention almost immediately. I do have a stent in one of my arteries of my heart, as well as one in my right calf. I take heart medicine every day, so my first thoughts were, well, lets just say my first thoughts were just a teeny tiny bit over the top.

With my mouth open wide, the remaining toothpaste slid down my tongue and into the sink. That’s where my toothbrush was too. It’s a vibrating head, and as it lay there in the ceramic bowl, it made a buzzing sound and the sink amplified the sound. The water was still running too, and as it touched the “talking head” the vibrations splashed water everywhere. I just stood there. With my nose up against the glass. Turning my head this way and that, and wondering, what the Hell was I doing. And why was I doing it?

In the few minutes that it took me to clean up the little morning mess, my brain got the message. “It’s Jamaica time, mon”. I stood up straight and backed away from the mirror. A small wry grin curled itself around my lips. The face in the mirror was telling me that, our next trip was not far away.

The longer I stared at my other self, the more my brain was able to process this new data with lightning speed. I finished up in the bathroom and went back to our bedroom to finish getting dressed.

I could have sworn that the me looking back at me, winked his eye, as if to say, “Ya mon”

The ride to work that morning was sheer delight. Music was blasting, I’m singing along, and my face could have won any “widest smile contest” Needless to say, they noticed my grins at work and did not have very many words of encouragement. That’s okay. I’m not a hater. Besides, I’m going to Jamaica and they aren’t. lol

Now I must tell you. This story is absolutely true. Or. This story is completely made up.

What isn’t made up and is absolutely true, is that we are about to begin another “Magical Mystery Tour” to the land of the Hibiscus and Flame of the forest. A land where we are able to discover, or hopefully, rediscover ourselves and our partner.

From now until the morning we leave this town, every new day will have a different hue. Every passing hour will, unrelentingly, chart our course for the place we are thrilled to call “home”.

grin grin grin

Richie

To anyone who responds to this post. Please list what you think: Story-- True-False

Thanks for your answers.

again, you made me smile. thanks!
    have an amazing time anticipating your trip.
    82 more days for us!

I love your posts! gb

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

I loved the story whether true or false. You made me smile and feel very happy, for that I thank you very much!! Have a good trip, still 466 days till we return :-(

Richie-- FALSE--I don't think that you work any more. The knocking on your heart was just too spicey of jerk sauce from the night before!!!

Great story. Yaz