Default How does snorkeling at CTI work?

Looking forward to our visit to CTI and doing some snorkeling. Can you just walk into the water off the main beach and snorkel? Or is there a designated area? Does CTI provide equipment for snorkeling? These will be new experience for me and really looking forward to it.

If you want to snorkel any time but the organized trip, you need to bring your own gear. Highly recommend doing that anyway so you make sure your mask fits properly (and I prefer to have my own snorkel).

While the organized boat snorkel trip is good, I much preferred going out early in the morning before breakfast and swimming between shore and island. We saw some wonderful creatures last time and plan to do a lot more of that in just a couple of weeks. May even go out at night just to see what's there! We saw trumpetfish, cardinalfish, pufferfish, among others. But you may not see those things close to shore once the water activity picks up.

Enjoy!

Bring your own equipment.

There are several snorkeling excursions to local shallow reefs. Just sign up and have fun. Try the resort into to diving, youll love it.

You can snorkel off the main beach especially in the swim area. However, if you want to snorkel the rest of the area you will need to go at sunrise. The risk of boats not seeing you without a spotter would make it unsafe. If you want to go out on your own bring your own equipment, there is no way they can provide every guest their own gear.
    Mark & Sylvia

At CTI they take 2 snorkeling trips a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon- you sign up in advance, they supply all the equipment (mask, snorkel, fins)- the boat takes you out close to the reef. You can go as many times as you like, just sign up early because the trips fill up quickly. I have never snorkeled off the beach- but I have seen some people do it- just be careful, there are a lot of sea urchins in the water past the clear, sandy bottom area- wear your aqua shoes!!!

They provide snorkel tours several times a day, you sign up at water sports. They'll take a group out to a designated snorkel sight by boat and they do provide the equipment. It's about an hour long tour. Lot's of fun!!!
    Irie ,
    (Ladydia) Dianna

CTI 2006, CSA 2007, CN 2008, CN 2009, CN 2010 twice
    CN 2012, CSS 2012, CN 2013

There are snorkeling excursions where they take you out in a boat and down the coast. I've not inquired about borrowing equipment.

CTI provides snorkeling equipment. You can snorkel right off the main beach but doing a snorkeling trip where they take you to a reef is better. There will be lots of fish there to see. Take a roll from breakfast with you and put it in your pocket so it can soak up water. Then, when you find some fish you'd like to visit with, begin to break off small pieces and let it sink towards them. Pretty soon you'll have all kinds of fish friends hanging around you. It may be a good idea to bring a waterproof camera to take pictures to bring home and enjoy.

Have fun!!

Bart & Bug

You have to sign up at the watersports shack - they will provide equipment and take you out on the boat out into the reef.

Two options: bring your own gear and go wherever and whenever you would like. Honestly, though, right in front of the beach is not a good area! The other side of the island and right around the pier hold some nice fish.

Or, sign up in the morning for one of the (usually) two runs daily out to the reef and wreck. Much more interesting and they provide you with equipment that actually works, compared to some other places we have been. Takes an hour to 90 minutes and its free.

OK dork question here! I'm not a strong swimmer. When I snorkeled in Mexico they gave me an inflatable type of life "jacket". Does anyone know if they have something like that available @ CTI?

Yes they offer life vests.

If you bring your own gear and snorkel from the main beach you will be sorely disappointed. I would show you pictures we took, but the water was so murky you could barely see the trash that was laying around by Bayside (charcoal grill, broken glass, etc.). Not worth carrying the gear from the states, trust me. I'd go with just the resort's gear on the organized excursion if you want a chance to see fish, coral, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Paschal View Post
    OK dork question here! I'm not a strong swimmer. When I snorkeled in Mexico they gave me an inflatable type of life "jacket". Does anyone know if they have something like that available @ CTI?
    They have lifejackets you can wear while snorkeling that will make your excursion much more enjoyably if your're not a strong swimmer.