Default Possible Mission Trip

Our church is considering a mission trip for 2010 and Jamaica has come up as a possible destination. I was wondering if anyone had been on a mission trip to Jamaica and what your experience was like. I was also wondering what the needs are. We would like to do some construction work and probably Vacation Bible Schools.

If Randymon or any of the staff have any thoughts I would appreciate their comments also.

Our friends just got back from a mission trip to Jamaica in July. My friend, Eric, did a lot of construction work and said he was really hurting--he's in his mid 50's.

From what they told us it was not like a fun vacation trip at all. A lot of hard work and that's about it. I'm not sure if they liked it very much, but I guess that's not what its all about when you volunteer to help out.

It's a wonderful thing to do- it's not supposed to be a fun vacation trip- the FUN comes from giving to those who need your help- and opening your hearts, especially to children.

Definitely check with
    this organization- ask for Marcia Burke. She is very involved with the schools in Jamaica. I know people who built doors and windows on schools and similar things. It's the MOST rewarding thing you can do. So many people worry about a Hurricane ruining their vacations, not realizing how they can devastate people's homes and other necessary structures.

Director@friendsofjamaicausa.org
    Friends of Jamaica, USA in Loves Park, IL

or this group in Minnesota
    Mission Jamaica
    contact Lori Goble 651-762-9163

Also the ISSA Foundation founded by Couples, may be able to offer some guidance.

WandA: Just saw your response. Thanks for the information. We have contacted a group that has a local represenative so we will probably go with them but I am going to check your suggestions out. You are right about the reason to do a trip, to help others. There is a lot of need in Jamacia and I hope and pray that our church is able to go and do some good.

Default Kycouple Mission Trip

Hi!

Thanks for your interest in a mission trip to Jamaica. Please feel free to email me your contact information to dbpollard2003@yahoo.com, and I can share information. Thanks!

Diane Pollard, Vice President
    Issa Trust Foundation