Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help! I don't want to gain 5 lbs!

We are leaving soon for CSS. I love reading the board and have noticed all the posts by people mentioning all the weight they gained on their trips. I have been working my rear off (literally) to get back to my pre baby fighting weight and I don't want to have to start over when I get back. I am a total gym rat at home but only hit the gym on vacation if it rains. We scuba dive every morning so that is all the off beach time I want to spend. Any one have tips for minimizing the damage? How about a beach drink that feels tropical but is not too bad - does such a thing exist?

Amy

AAS

You're on vacation and you're in Jamaica.

LIVE IT UP!

I normally gain a few pounds at CN or CSA or at the other 2 AI's we have stayed at in Jamaica (before we found Couples) but when we were at CSS in May, I did not gain any weight at all. The steps are great help in taking care of that, I think. I would NEVER go near the gym on my vacation ........... it's a VACATION from reality in my opinion & the treadmill or exercise class of any kind does not fit into that. Just walk around the resort a time or two each day (don't miss any of the steps) plus all the walking you normally do just going about your day & you should be fine. ENJOY the food & drinks while you can ........ You'll be back to your normal routine before you know what happened.
    Julie

Amy,
    Chill girl you're going on vacation, everybody gains weight on vacation. I find that the change in temperature and the retention of water forces you to gain weight regardless of what you might eat. I gain about 8 lbs every time but if I controlled calories , which I do not I am sure after a week home all the water would leave and all would be as it was before I went. Usually I end up with a net gain of 4-5lbs which I find I can live with, until the prep for Summer diet begins.
    Go enjoy yourself and diet when you get home.
    ... it keepsh me shane

CSS has a smoothie bar by the mineral pool, so that may be an option for you. I think that you should let yourself enjoy your vacation. Eat whatever you want, just watch your portions and you should be fine.

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

Carb blockers and Chitosan tablets (fat trappers). We go armed with them each time. In ten days I usually gain 3 pounds and I eat and drink what I want.

Yea, I hear what ur saying. I try not to hit the grill late at night before bed, and stay away from the deserts or desserts lol. For drinks, I avoid the big fruity mixed drinks -- I go with Red Stripe lite, and rum w/diet coke --- splurge with bloody mary's after the morning workout (if i'm able to workout).... What is your plan???

Good luck with not gaining weight at CSS.......... and I'm not being sarcastic!
    Last edited by Mzambo; March 30th, 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!! You are on VACATION!! Give your diet a vacation too!! You don't have to go crazy and eat everything in sight, you can still work out, and as far as the alcohol goes, it is all in what you like. You can have rum and diet soda, or whiskey and water, but the fruity drinks are high in calories. I, myself, vote that you give yourself a break.
    Kristen

I have trouble sleeping past 5 am when we're in Jamaica. I'm usually in the gym by 6 am for 60 minutes of cardio and 60 minutes of strength training. By 8 am--before breakfast, I've gotten in a complete workout. I've never gained weight, but I usually do another workout (30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of Pilates) in the afternoon as well. While some people are of the opinion that you should relax on vacation, I'm able to relax if I don't have to think about the workouts I've missed and the weight I might be gaining. I tend to drink a lot more alcohol while on vacation than I do at home, so working out twice a day helps me ensure that I don't gain weight.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

You're on vacation. Enjoy it. Just work out like crazy when you get back.
    影舞葉

I am also a gymrat at home and i do exercise when on vacation, but i always put on the required 5lbs. It's mostly just water weight though, as the food is a little saltier, just drink a lot of water and do the ring test, if the ring is hard to come off you need to hydrate. Enjoy!

I never gained any weight except a little water weight while on vacation. I too work out everday while at home. I don't do a huge workout, but I walk a 40 minute/2mile walk every weekday morning, and do the 30 minute curves workout after work. I would drink a glass of water, then a diet soda, and then a drink all day. It gives me two advantages. First- I won't dehydrate and I get the water to help my system in water retention, second, it cuts the calories, while bit making me feel as if I am depriving myself of drinks. The steps do help a lot as far as exercising. I did no other exercise except that, and maybe a little swimming, which I did because I like to swim, but no formal exercising. Don't worry, the little you gain should come off pretty easily if you go back to whatever you were doing before. Besides, your body does need a break from your reduced calories.
    Linda

We love to work out, even ON vacation. It's part of our relaxation. That being said, I usually DO gain 5 lbs while there. This trip at CSA, I only gained 2 lbs, and that I lost within 2 days of getting back. AND, I only changed one thing: I didn't drink any fruity, frosty drinks. (Like hummingbirds, etc.) I stuck with Red Stripe Light and things like pineapple juice, club soda and rum, which was actually more refreshing in the hot sun anyway. Yummy. Honestly, I didn't feel deprived at all, I still ate and drank pretty much what I wanted, and didn't feel like a slug when I got back needing to lose the 5-7 lbs that I gained in a week. LOL.

Don't deprive yourself, but you can still be sensible about it.

V

I never gained any weight except a little water weight while on vacation. I too work out everday while at home. I don't do a huge workout, but I walk a 40 minute/2mile walk every weekday morning, and do the 30 minute curves workout after work. I would drink a glass of water, then a diet soda, and then a drink all day. It gives me two advantages. First- I won't dehydrate and I get the water to help my system in water retention, second, it cuts the calories, while bit making me feel as if I am depriving myself of drinks. The steps do help a lot as far as exercising. I did no other exercise except that, and maybe a little swimming, which I did because I like to swim, but no formal exercising. Don't worry, the little you gain should come off pretty easily if you go back to whatever you were doing before. Besides, your body does need a break from your reduced calories.
    Linda

Thanks for all the advice! Pamela - wow you're my hero! Don't think I can be that dedicated even if it rains the entire trip. We are staying on the cliff side so I will definitely take the stairs everyday (should make up for missing the stairmaster).

We went to GLB in 2006 when I was preggo with #1 and I only gained a pound the week we were gone leading me to believe I drink most of my calories on vacation. Diet coke and rum is a good tip (not enough water in the world could dilute whiskey enough for me to drink it) but guess I will have to keep dreaming about a magical low cal frozen fruity drink...

Amy

I work out hard on vacation as well as at home. CSA is great for that!

I also watch what I eat - just not worth it to have to diet even more than usual when I get home.

I stick to club soda and lime daytime and wine at night with an occasional martini.

We both always get in a little workout as we are early risers. I enjoy my workouts (usually 1 hour in the morning before breakfast) and it helps me to relax and enjoy myself. I eat what I want, drink way more than normal and have never gained weight while at Couples. We also stay pretty active - walking the beach, snorkeling, kayaking, etc.

Im somewhat of a gym rat too... But when on vacation, I dont worry much. I still hit the gym on vacation, but more because I enjoy it, not to actually do a serious workout... It seems to come off pretty fast when I get back home. The most I gained on vacation was 17lbs in 15 days!!! I ate and drank everything!! That was a bit overkill, but I had a goal of gaining a pound a day...
    -Otter,

Pamela, wow girl! You are truly a work out nut. And I say that with utmost respect for your dedication and work ethic. You go girl, 3+ hours in the gym on vacation, I salute you.

I too hit the gym at CSA at least twice during the week on vacation, likewise early morning while Mrs. dirtleg sleeps in. Also running the beach in the morning is a great workout. I tend to gain a pound or two on vacation, but I am not a big eater for my size. I watch portions and try to avoid too many fried foods at the grill. But I still don't deny myself anything I want, eating or drinking. Maybe just not all in the same day.

First of all, at CSS you can do a fair amount of walking and climbing steps without even feeling like you're working out. I try to make a point of "doing the circuit" each morning after breakfast and see Charlie being fed and then going to visit the birds. I don't really worry about working out, though.

I do agree with the water weight gain. A couple years ago, my blood-pressure medicine was changed and he gave me a diuretic to go with whatever other pill I take. While I'm not recommending that you take prescription drugs, it may not be a bad idea to get an over-the-counter water pill. If nothing else, this will "lighten you up" in the morning if you decide (against my advice, certainly) to weigh yourself.

It is definitely possible to put on weight at CSS, and the desserts certainly are to die for, but if you can forego that temptation (or at least use discretion), I think it's very possible to at least minimize the weight gain. Every restaurant has healthy, delicioius alternatives, and don't forget that you can always ask for heavy sauces to be left off.

I think I probably do usually put on a few pounds at CSS, but I don't think it's necessarily because I eat differently but that I eat more and more often (and drink a fair bit more, with those tempting fruity drinks).

I too gained the dreaded 5lbs this year. Next year I'm thinking of asking the bartenders to hold the simple syrup which is in most of the tropical drinks.

AAS & Dirtleg,

It's not so much dedication as it is fear. My trainer makes me weigh-in the day after I return. He's a big guy, and I'm afraid of him.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Pamela - maybe that's my problem. My trainer is a petite girl about as big as a toothpick.

Amy

we dive twice a day, have light meals(i.e. soup for lunch) and try to go easy on the alcohol. We walk on the beach for a break during surface time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast