Default Cabana grill and patois?

A friend just got back for CSA yesterday and said the cabana grill location was closed. She said the cabana grill was operating out of patois and breakfast wasn't served there. Does anyone know? We leave Monday and would like to know if I can't get banana stuffed French toast

Cabana Grill was closed for repairs to the roof, so you had to go to Patois as the grill is operating out of there. We were there last week and Patois was not open for breakfast and lunch only dinner, we were told it was due to the occupancy rate being about 50%. If you wanted breakfast you had to go to the Palms, and yes they do have the banana stuffed French toast there on the buffet line. If you wanted lunch you had the Palms, the Cabana Grill or Seagrapes. I did speak to the manager of the resort about this and that is what she said. As a diver, it was very inconvient because you could get no lunch before the afternoon dive as the Palms opens at 12:30PM and the dive is at 1:00PM. I was told that if I wanted lunch I could go to the Cabana Grill or Seagrapes. I suggested that since Patios was closed that they consider opening the Palms earlier, as I did not fly 2000 miles to eat a burger.

Yes, that was the case when we were there the last week of August. I was surprised to find that Patois was only open for dinner, and the Cabana Grill had moved to a section of Patois. The grill had yellow do not cross tape everywhere and one day we saw them re-thatching the roof. It almost appeared as if maybe they'd had a fire?

Not sure if the Patois closure was a low season thing they do every year, or special circumstances due to the repairs on the grill. I definitely missed out on the banana stuffed French toast that I'd been craving!

Wow! That is very upsetting! I hope it isn't because of the 50% occupancy because I would expect that to be information released to people in advance....that during slow months patois is not open. One breakfast option? No variety? We will be there eleven days and Breakfast at palms all 11 days isnt exactly what I was hoping for. Our friends said it was just regular french toast when they were there and no breakfast pizza . This is the second time this has happened to us. Two years ago it was that palms was closed and operating out of patois. However, breakfast from patois was setup in feathers so really only lunch was a reduced selection. Randymon...please let us know what is going on and when everything will be open again.

We were there 8/11-8/18 last month and cabana grill did close while we were there, but it was not a problem at all, start saying no problem mon to everything and it will be no problem!!!
    They were putting a new roof on cabana grill due to storm that hit while we were there!! its all done by hand!!

Randymon - can you give us an update on when things will be back to normal? We leave in a week for CSA for our first visit and I've been looking forward to all of the dining options (based on suggestions from friends who have been before). My heart just sank reading that the dining options I've heard so many wonderful things about may not be available.

I would also like to know if they normally close restaurants based on occupancy. It wasn't a huge deal for us, but I didn't like only having one breakfast option. While they did have stuffed french toast at the buffet, they didn't have whipped cream so it wasn't the same in my opinion.

I'd like to know what the deal is too, we will be there the first week of October and Patios is our favorite spot for Breakfast.. It would be a bummer for it to not be open, although it's not necessarily a game changer breakfast at The Palms is pretty set up for a buffet.. As long as my lovely wife gets her Banana Stuffed French Toast, no one gets hurt!!

Randymon, could you please shed some light on this? I've heard nothing but great things about breakfast and lunch at Patois and I'll honestly be pretty irritated if this is the case when we arrive for our honeymoon next Sunday. I'm pretty easy to please, but if one of only TWO venues offering breakfast are closed, that's a big disappointment and false advertising on your part if you fail to let your customers know prior to arrival, don't you think? It's not as though this is a ginormous resort with hundreds of options. I was VERY excited at the thought of NOT having to have breakfast at a buffet every day....like every other AI on the planet. We really dig the a la carte aspect of Patois. Also, since you don't offer a full room service breakfast option, this really bums me out. Please advise!
    Laura

Was there in 2009 when they renovated the Palms and I remember we had some of the same reservations that have been expressed here in this thread before we got to CSA. Well, those reservations were quickly dashed because it was just a minor inconvienence and we had a great week anyways. (coincidentally, or not, it was the same time of the year)

Many resorts in the Caribbean do their major upgrade and upkeep projects during September-November, which tend to be the "low" season (due to it being both hurricane season and schools are back in session). In the past, I've seen posts that note that Patois becomes a reservation restaurant during low season for dinner. Perhaps this is just a construction issue.

Default Cabana Grill and Patois

Quote Originally Posted by trvlr4lfe View Post
    I'd like to know what the deal is too, we will be there the first week of October and Patios is our favorite spot for Breakfast.. It would be a bummer for it to not be open, although it's not necessarily a game changer breakfast at The Palms is pretty set up for a buffet.. As long as my lovely wife gets her Banana Stuffed French Toast, no one gets hurt!!
    Randymon--Is this all true? When do they expect to have the grill back up and running and Patois back in operation?? We will be there for the Anniversary Party and also renewing our vows there. We are bringing 10 other people with us who have never been there before and they are soooo looking forward to it. It is what we have all talked about for a year now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Loveinjamaica View Post
    Randymon--Is this all true? When do they expect to have the grill back up and running and Patois back in operation?? We will be there for the Anniversary Party and also renewing our vows there. We are bringing 10 other people with us who have never been there before and they are soooo looking forward to it. It is what we have all talked about for a year now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Thank you
    I would love to know also. I'm assuming everything will be functional for the Anniversary week. At least I hope so. I was looking forward to lunch at Patois

Cabana Grill is now open.
    Patois Patio serves dinner and will be open for breakfast / lunch / dinner on the 17th of September

Ivonna
    Couples Resorts

We stayed at CSA 8/11-8/21 and yes during that time the Cabana grill was closed due to re-hatching of the roof. They seated anyone wanted food from the grill on the (north?) side of Patois. I honestly would say that this really wasn't a big problem.. the only bit to note is that although I suppose at the normal Cabana grill beach attire is sufficient, but I was requested to put a shirt on for the Cabana grill at Patois.

Having never been prior to CSA it is hard for me to say for sure, but the resort sure didn't seem full so maybe I could believe the 50% capacity statistic. Patois had been open for breakfast/lunch during our stay however on our departure day (8/21) it was closed. We figured it was because it had been closed the evening before due to the Managers reception. I suppose now reading this that it was for other reasons. I would agree with others on this board that if that is true, it is a shame. It was nice to have a 'menu' breakfast on our slower mornings, and was great for lunch.

Personally, we both preferred Patois far over the Palms. In fact the Palms was probably our least favorite. I am in the process of writing a long review to post, but so much of the food at the Palms was WAY too greasy. They have a number of cooking stations at the Palms (omelets / pancakes at breakfast, pasta / meat at dinner) and they always use too much oil in the little frying pans. At first it was okay, but by the end of the week we avoided the Palms for that fact.. we just wouldn't feel good after eating food cooked in so much grease. I ordered pancakes from the Palms on the last day and they looked more like a fried pancake than a griddle pancake.

In the end, I can understand the repair of the Cabana grill roof during the summer slow season and having to move it into Patois - that is a no problem mon. However, it really is sad to see Patois closed for 2/3's of the day.
    Last edited by andrewIN; September 11th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks Ivonna!!!