Default Does anyone ever use the "Search" function before posting

Randymon, how about posting a sticky with quick instructions on using this function? It may cut back on the numerous posts with the same subject that folks see almost on a daily basis.

How about just reading and responding without telling others they are doing it wrong?

As someone who moderates a 130k member forum, I can answer this; no.

You can even go so far as to force similarly titled threads to appear as you name the thread you're creating, and it won't help.

Stickies are about the best thing for a situation like this, where the member base isn't huge.

how about you not read the threads you don't want to read?

Didn't someone already post this last year? Maybe you should have searched for it and just bumped that post?

lol
    :doh:

Oh but the message board is personal. It's more fun to get an actual opinion.

I just ignore the one's I don't want to read or answer. If they are bothering you I suggest you do the same.

One reason people don't use the search function as much as some would like is that they want recent answers to their questions especially since some things do change over time. You could do a search for what night the Repeater Dinner is and find the wrong answer very easily. It's not a big thing really.

Hey, where's the One Love?

Lighten up folks, it's a good suggestion.

I know that when I first realized there was a message board I was so excited that I just posted the question that had been on my mind about CSS, the resort I had been researching for a couple of weeks. After I posted the question and spent some time "looking around" I realized I could 'search' the message board, BUT still, sometimes people want an answer from someone that's been there recently.

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    Hey, where's the One Love?

Lighten up folks, it's a good suggestion.

^This.

It was a good question and a legitimate suggestion. And like Kris above, I've moderated high volume message board before. It's standard message board etiquette to use the search feature for common questions. It's kind of silly that "Cn vs CSA" or "What should we bring" type threads pop up on here literally every other day and people could easily cut down on that by just not being so lazy and using the search. There is no reason for anyone to be hostile over someone suggesting that.
    Last edited by WillandAmy; September 12th, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blridgway View Post
    I realized I could 'search' the message board, BUT still, sometimes people want an answer from someone that's been there recently.

And there is nothing wrong with that. At the same time there is nothing wrong with the OP suggesting the admin make a sticky instructing newbies on how to use the search. To be honest with you, on most message boards with any decent level of traffic if you post a question that gets asked all the time, like "Which is better; CSA or CN?" is here, then the only response you're going to get is "Use the search button" because people are just not going to answer the same question over and over again when it takes no more than a click to find numerous answers to the question.
    Last edited by WillandAmy; September 12th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

No, it isnt a good suggestion! If someone cant or wont use the search function, what makes you think theyll be able to wrap their brains around "stickies"? And what exactly is the point of a message board if not for conversing (rather than reading prior conversations)? What's the saying? "Show me and I may remember, but involve me in the process and I'll not likely forget", right? No better way to learn than to be involved in the current conversation..

Then there's the point about condensing the info in a 365 page thread into either the body of the first post, or into a second thread.. But that's some advanced forum stuff and, why bother? No worries, mon, let people do as they may unless someone here is hurting the available bandwidth or something...

Quote Originally Posted by CricketNPatty View Post
    No, it isnt a good suggestion! If someone cant or wont use the search function, what makes you think theyll be able to wrap their brains around "stickies"? And what exactly is the point of a message board if not for conversing (rather than reading prior conversations)? What's the saying? "Show me and I may remember, but involve me in the process and I'll not likely forget", right? No better way to learn than to be involved in the current conversation..
    I disagree. Most forums have a "Welcome thread" that explains basic board features and policies like how and when to use the search function. You may not think it is necessary but someone suggesting that there be a thread explaining to people how to more efficiently get answers to their frequently asked questions isn't a bad suggestion. Especially on a board where every post needs to be approved before being visible so you won't get an answer to a question for days. It's just helpful and helps users have a better experience.

The repeat posts used to bug me also. Now I love them.

They are like the sand in an hour glass invariably counting down the time until I return. Since Couples changed its policy, I actually miss all the men's shoe posts. They were the most regular and consistent posts on here and they happened like clock work.

Once a week, there was always a post about what shoes men could wear to the "nice restaurant at Couples_______". They would happen about once a week. Once every three months they would flair up into a huge kerfluffle. Pictures of shoes would be posted. Some would say they were "Okay", others would say "definitely not!". Anecdotal evidence would be given to support both sides. Someone would always make the case , "It's shoes, it doesn't matter that much! Just get with the program!" Someone would always respond back with something to the effect "It is my dream to not wear anything 'nice' on my vacation and are you to stand in the way of it!"

Twice, when there was a lull in the action I posted pictures of Crocs. It was devastatingly effective. I am not proud. I know it was wrong.

Ahhh.... Good Times. As sure as the sun came up, you could count on the shoe posts showing up. Alas.... no more.

My guess is that questions about the minibars will become the next big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WillandAmy View Post
    I disagree. Most forums have a "Welcome thread" that explains basic board features and policies like how and when to use the search function. You may not think it is necessary but someone suggesting that there be a thread explaining to people how to more efficiently get answers to their frequently asked questions isn't a bad suggestion. Especially on a board where every post needs to be approved before being visible so you won't get an answer to a question for days. It's just helpful and helps users have a better experience.

As WillandAmy alluded to, the main problem may not necessarily be that people ask the same questions over and over again and then the message board veterans need to repeatedly answer over and over again. The main problem may be that the constant regurgitation of these threads all need to be moderated which can slow... the... postings... down... to... a... snail's ...pace.

So, if a simple educational sticky regarding the use of the search function can somewhat help reduce the high volume of new threads, then maybe that will result in our comments being posted quicker. What will it hurt to try?

Lol @ Spiffs!

I laugh and shake my head at these posts. Actually this is the first post of this sort I have seen on this board. I could be wrong, if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me. Anyway, why oh why would this sort of thing matter?? I love reading all the posts. Some people are new to the board and just want a quick answer. I know if it is one of those questions that has been asked before, I just pass it by. Besides, most of the wonderful people on this board don't mind answering the same questions over and over. It brings back wonderful memories. After all, isn't all about the wonderful memories? I don't believe it has anything to do with being lazy, thats just mean, take it easy, people. Answer the posts you want and ask all the the questions you want.
    I appreciate all the question and all the answers!!
    One Love,
    Mya

Ironically threads about folks using the search function are one of the more common "new" threads on the board.

Does it make more sense to create a new thread asking about the habitual non-use of the search function, without searching the subject first; or to search for an existing thread that asks the same question and post a new reply that will probably only be redundant within said thread? So which is most effective, recreation of commonly repeated threads or a redundant reply to a question that is clearly rhetorical in the first place?

Truly questions with great philosophical depth that will require deep and complex searches as well as additional "new" threads and responses to be posted and reposted for perpetuity.

I love this message board, motivates me to meditate on the truly profound intricacy of life on this earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Myapapya View Post
    Some people are new to the board and just want a quick answer.
    Ironically, posting the question as a new thread virtually guarantees a wait of at least 18-36 hrs to get a meaningful answer. Search can do it in under ten minutes.

DISCLAIMER: This is said, of course, as a dig at the glacial pace at which this board is moderated. It is not intended to belittle or demean posters who don't like search, and would rather have their own conversation.

PS... Only sixteen days, or twelve board updates until my wife and I return to CSA for our sixth trip to Couples.

dirtleg & Myapapya,
    Well stated! Love it!

Wow. This thread is ridiculously lame. Not just the original post, but all the people that got hooked into responding with such emotion.

Besides, the ""search" function, while being effective in some capacities, isn't exactly user-friendly in the way it sorts the results. That being said, there is a huge assumption that 1) people even realized a search function existed, and 2) they have ever used a message board before.

Use it... don't use it... who cares?!

No worries!!!

As a new person to this board . I've been reading the posts and "searching" for a couple months now . First off thanks to everyone who answers the questions for us newbies . For some things I "searched " there were so many threads to read through by the time I got to the end I was so confused , more then when I started . Some were old & out dated , sometimes the one thing you were looking for the answer about wasn't there . For example I'm a wine drinker but never saw anything about wine in any of the mini bar questions until recently . So please chill out it's our vacation we are planning so we don't need to be bullied on the boards . If you don't want to read or answer questions leave them for the friendly people who want to . No matter what board you are on this happens with the same questions being asked . So relax and pretend your at a Couples resort of your choice doing your favourite thing .

Quote Originally Posted by Myapapya View Post
    I laugh and shake my head at these posts. Actually this is the first post of this sort I have seen on this board. I could be wrong, if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me. Anyway, why oh why would this sort of thing matter?? I love reading all the posts. Some people are new to the board and just want a quick answer. I know if it is one of those questions that has been asked before, I just pass it by. Besides, most of the wonderful people on this board don't mind answering the same questions over and over. It brings back wonderful memories. After all, isn't all about the wonderful memories? I don't believe it has anything to do with being lazy, thats just mean, take it easy, people. Answer the posts you want and ask all the the questions you want.
    I appreciate all the question and all the answers!!
    Well said Myapapya.
    I have noticed that is most (if not all) cases the question is posted by a "Newbie". It was a while back but I remember looking ahead to our first trip to Couples with a lot of excitement....and that is still the case. Like other have posted, just skip over the post and move on. No problem mon.