Default M & M's for the staff

I have read that the staff at CSS likes M & M's so my wife bought 2 bags of the peanut version single servings (the small bags that you hand out at Halloween). My question is how do you disperse them to the staff? Do you leave them after the meals at the restaurants, or hand them to the room attendants? Ideas are welcomed!
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

During our first stay at CSA, a lovely young lady at Seagrapes nicknamed us M&M. Every trip after that, we have been greeted by the staff as M&M. Now, we make it a point to always take M&M's (about 4 lbs) with us to CSA. Normally at check-in, we leave a note for management that explains we will be leaving small bags of candy for staff members and their children. When we pass them out in public, we always make sure that every staff member in the area gets one. Not just the bartenders, or wait staff, but the gardeners, maintenance personnel, and anyone else that works at CSA. In our room, we have a basket filled with small bags and a note that says "Thanks for taking such good care of us during our stay, please take a bag of candy for yourself and one or two for your family." No one has ever taken all of the candy and the basket always seems to remain filled until the last day.

112 days and counting!!!

Mike and Monica
    Jamaica Soon Come.
    CSA Torch Holder 2012

I usually just hand them to whomever I want. I have given them to my bartenders, waiters, left them in my room for the housekeeping staff (with a note). You can do it however you wish. I do know they seem to enjoy them because chocolate is expensive in Jamaica.
    Linda

Thank you for the responses. We'll hand them out to everyone we come in contact with!
    Last edited by Cigar Dude; August 22nd, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Cigar Dude

Oh my goodness, such a good idea! I love informing management of what you will be doing prior to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMonica View Post
    During our first stay at CSA, a lovely young lady at Seagrapes nicknamed us M&M. Every trip after that, we have been greeted by the staff as M&M. Now, we make it a point to always take M&M's (about 4 lbs) with us to CSA. Normally at check-in, we leave a note for management that explains we will be leaving small bags of candy for staff members and their children. When we pass them out in public, we always make sure that every staff member in the area gets one. Not just the bartenders, or wait staff, but the gardeners, maintenance personnel, and anyone else that works at CSA. In our room, we have a basket filled with small bags and a note that says "Thanks for taking such good care of us during our stay, please take a bag of candy for yourself and one or two for your family." No one has ever taken all of the candy and the basket always seems to remain filled until the last day.

112 days and counting!!!

It's not just M&Ms. We take assortments of the "mini" bars. Usually several bags of different kinds. The Hersheys assortment, the Milky Way/Snickers assortment, mini-Heath bars, etc. We hand them out just as others have suggested - Personally hand them out around the resort, give a pocketful of them to the guy at the watersports hut and tell him to give some to all the watersports guys, leave them on the minibar request form and pillows (with a note the first day). The really seem to appreciate both the gesture and the chocolate itself. I like MikeMonica's suggestion of leaving out a bowl in the room with a note. We'll have to try that.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I did the same would just hand them out or leave them behind with a note. I also took alot of school supply's and would leave them for the maid, turndown staff, and mini bar restocker. Our next to the last day I took a few packs of M&M's and taped them together on the edges to create a pocket where I put 10 $1 bills and handed them out to 3 different people that stood out from the rest and made our trip the best it could be, I also included a little note thanking them for everything they did and told them not to just open here wait till they got home and there there was a little something in the middle. They were so appreciative of what we did they would not stop thanking us and saying you did not have to but thank you so much.

This is tipping in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by weewane View Post
    I ... create a pocket where I put 10 $1 bills and handed them out to 3 different people ...
    Understand your good intent (presumably, anyway), but as Randy (and others) have posted on here again and again, that (accepting $) is a fireable offence.

I'm not MB police, so do as you wish. However, whenever someone posts things like this I believe all the reading audience should be absolutely clear on the possible implications for the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by weewane View Post
    I did the same would just hand them out or leave them behind with a note. I also took alot of school supply's and would leave them for the maid, turndown staff, and mini bar restocker. Our next to the last day I took a few packs of M&M's and taped them together on the edges to create a pocket where I put 10 $1 bills and handed them out to 3 different people that stood out from the rest and made our trip the best it could be, I also included a little note thanking them for everything they did and told them not to just open here wait till they got home and there there was a little something in the middle. They were so appreciative of what we did they would not stop thanking us and saying you did not have to but thank you so much.
    This is a very, very bad idea!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

"I ... create a pocket where I put 10 $1 bills and handed them out to 3 different people ... "

I know we all want to do something to say thank-you for all you did to make this vacation wonderful. But those 10 $1 bills could cost someone their job, so why tempt them. While we were on vacation this year we saw a few people try and tip, the tips were turned down. You want say thank-you; get to know the person, bring school supplies,candy, meds, lotions, donate to the Issa trust foundation, and fill out the comment card when you leave.

Not to mention the fact that tips are not allowed means we all get the same great service so why mess with that by sneaking people tips.

Randymon has posted on here repeatedly that employees cannot accept tips (cash)... please don't put the employees in the position to be fired. M & M's are way different than cash.... there is NO tipping... can't be much clearer than that. We are not to offer and they are not to accept... it's one of the top reasons we go to Couples, the no tipping policy.

Go go every year at Halloween time, so it works out good as far a purchasing candy. We buy a bunch of bags of different types of chocolate (MM's, Snickers, Reeses, etc) and we get little candy bags and every morning before we leave for the beach for the day we leave a little bag on our pillows for housekeeping, then we also leave a bag in the evening before we leave for dinner for the evening housekeeping. I feel like its the least we can do to show our appreciation. I know many of the ladies have children at home to enjoy the candy also. We put 4-5 peces in each bag. Its just something we want and enjoy doing.

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

We have always brought M&M's and small candy bars. I try to get things they might not have in Jamaica. Also the last 4 times we have brought school supplies. I get gallon sized ziplock bags and fill it with a couple of writing paper binders (80 sheet) pencils pens colored pencils ruler glue sticks crayons. Whatever we can get in the bag. Also we always go to Jamaica in august so school supplies are on really good sales. I've always asked the person or people if they have children if so I'll write a small note in case anything is said to them. School supplies are VERY expensive so every little bit helps. The last trip I think we gave out 30. We just pack a duffle bag with them and if asked tell customs it's school supplies and have never had a problem. Then we use the duffle to bring home coffee. Whatever you decide to give they will appreciate even if you give nothing at all. Jamaican people are the BEST!!

This is such a good idea and we would like to do it as well. However i have a question. Do you pack the bags of candy in your carry on luggage or your checked luggage? Not sure of the TSA's rules on taking candy, but do not want to put in our checked baggage in fear that it may melt. Thanks for any info

Quote Originally Posted by jason/miranda View Post
    This is such a good idea and we would like to do it as well. However i have a question. Do you pack the bags of candy in your carry on luggage or your checked luggage? Not sure of the TSA's rules on taking candy, but do not want to put in our checked baggage in fear that it may melt. Thanks for any info
    carry on- I took 3 bags of candy with me with no issues the other week
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

We carried it on the plane. There is no problem doing that. The employees really seemed to enjoy the gesture too.
    Cigar Dude

Thank you so much for the information. Can't wait to get there for our first trip to Couples Swept Away!!!

We just returned from CTI, and we took with us 2 bags of individuallhy packaged M&M's, a package of small hersey bars, a package of small nestle crunch bars, a bag of hersey kisses, a bag of 3 muskateer minis and a bag or snickers minis. We also took treat bags that we made up and left for the housekeeping, bar and turn down staff. I handed out bags of M&M's the last night to staff who really made our day. The staff loved it - and we were able to show our appreciation without putting anyone at risk!

I am a big fan of little gestures. Often the smallest kindness speaks the loudest about true feelings. Especially in a marriage, the everyday tokens of love and appreciation are often the glue that binds. So it is sweet when one reads that guests to Couples want to find a way within acceptable rules to thank the staff. Indeed, it is difficult for many new Couples family members to accept the "no-tipping" policy when you are treated so well and the general belief is that the staff could really use that tip.

Having said that, it is my humble opinion that there is a best way to thank those often wonderful staff members at Couples. Eye contact with a sincere thank-you, a hand shake of respect, and most definitely a communication to the management by comment card, letter and word-of-mouth. (Being a responsible and reasonably neat and orderly guest doesn't hurt either. The golden rule travels with me.)

The staff at Couples are hospitality industry professionals with a structured environment of employment. You can see the trainees learning the ropes around the resorts. I trust that they are reasonably well paid within the scheme of the Jamaican economy. Staff members that receive positive feedback from guests to management are rewarded as valued employees. While a gift of M & M's might be sweet literally and figuratively, I fear that it also may be seen as condescending.

Here's an idea... a gift to the Issa Trust Fund in the name of a favored staff member. Or possibly a donation (through management) to the school of a staff member's child.

I was so happy and relieved our first visit to CSS that guests and staff pretty much met on equal terms. Respect seemed to flow both ways. There is something magical going on at these four resorts.

fabfifty, although I do bring treats for those we have really become friends with at CSS, I agree that they, as any other human being does, appreciate the little gestures of thank you, and respect. I remember very well the huge smile I a got from one of our servers when as I thanked her for her service I asked her to write her name down so I could spell it correctly on the comment card. Also, the jealous look of some of her co-workers. These are all important. Please people remember these as well. As fabfifty said, it is their future.
    Linda

Thanks for this thread. I have tried the last two times I've been to couples to hand out chocolate. I even upgraded to the nicer, gourmet kinds. I still felt like a condescending american. Good for all of you who do it with grace. I just couldn't slip someone a bar to thank them- it's totally my thing, but I felt like a jerk.
    I will continue to thank everyone for all they do at couples. I always mention several when I fill out the comment card, but I am done with the chocolate.
    This time I'm packing school supplies and plan on donating them upon arrival.
    65 more days!!

School supplies can be left at the front desk and they will get them to the schools.

I have done chocolate on a couple visits but it does seem small in comparison to all they do to make our trip great! So I make point of using staff names when I thank them as they serve me drinks & food. In return I have seen the biggest smiles which makes my day! I take snacks for the room & if don't eat them all, I do leave them with a note "hope you & your friends like these. We cant take it back with us." then our name & room number.

The first time we brought school supplies we left them with the front desk and were told they would be sent to local schools. Not that I don't want to help with the locals we really wanted our things to be given to our friends at CSA. So every year after that we have given the supplies out ourselves with a note saying what we have done. Giving these to the wonderful people that we have met and made friends with was so much better for us. Supplies are so very expensive we wanted to make sure our friends ended up with them. I don't think alot of the people that work at CSA live locally so they would not have gotten any of it This was just our preference and will do it again next time.

Well stated fabfifty, genuine appreciation is a powerful force.