Default Visiting office of nature from CSA

Hi - we will be at CSA 10th to 24th October (first timers and very excited). I have learned loads from trawling the message board and can't wait.

We read about the office of nature and it sounds great - can anyone tell me if it's in walking distance of CSA and how we will recognise the original one (I understand there is a newer one too).

Also interested in Ozzys(?) jerk chicken - same question about walking distance please.

Thanks for any help or tips you can offer

Joolz

Office of Nature:

CSA is on Long Bay and the OON is on Bloody Bay. So, no, I would not recommend walking from CSA to the OON. It is really too far to be practical. You have two viable options though. First, you could arrange for a taxi to take you from CSA to the OON. Your second option would be to register for Couples Romance Rewards program which would allow you to take advantage of their "Trading Places" perk. With this you can spend the day at Couples Negril (Mon, Wed or Fri 9:45 AM - 4:00 PM). From CN, you can walk to the OON. Head to the beach and turn right. After you pass the hotel next door to CN you will eventually come upon the OON. There is a sign along the beach for the NEW OON (see below). You really can't miss it.

Attachment 17953

Yes, there are two OON's...kind of a long story as to why. As you walk down the beach from CN, you will first come upon the NEW OON. If you continue past that you will see the blue tarps where the OLD OON has set op shop.

Ossies:

From CSA, Ossies is within walking distance. You could head out the main gate, turn right and walk down the street to Ossies which is on the opposite side of the street from CSA proper (on the same side of the street as the CSA fitness facilities). However, walking along the street is not for the faint of heart. The safer option would be to go to the beach and turn left. Walk down the beach until you see either The Palms or Donaldon's Inn. You should be able to cut through either one of these properties and Ossies is right accross the street.

Remember to be careful crossing the street. Look both ways and remember that they drive on the left side of the street in Jamaica.
    Last edited by NeedBlueWater; September 10th, 2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Adding picture
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

The original Office of Nature has been around a long time. Then the land owners seeing $$$ , developed a business on the land, stole their name, and built a building out of brick and mortar. So the " originals" moved further down from their original location , and there are Blue Tarps down on the ground, they have some tables and chairs, but no building- this is the " original" ( no building).
    You would have to take a taxi from CSA to get to the Office of Nature. However, I recommend you do trading Spaces with CN ( sign up for Romance Rewards before your trip), and walk from CN.
    In regards to Ossies Shack, he is most famous for his Jerk Pork, but I am sure the Jerk chicken would also have to be good. From CSA take a left ( facing the ocean) and walk down the beach- maybe 5-7 resorts over from CSA. You will see a resort with white buidings and a Bright blue roof ( it will be labeled), this is Negril Treehouse. They have a beach bar, ask them to direct you to Ossies ( it is right there). It is maybe a 5 minute walk from CSA. At night though, take a taxi.
    Hope this helps. Also, I have heard rumors that Ossies sometimes closes during low season, the workers at Negril Treehouse will help you if this is the case.

You would need to take a cab from CSA to Office Of Nature (either one) as the beach does not connect thru from 7 mile which you will be on to Bloody Bay which Office of Nature is on. If you were in the Couples reward program than you can do a trading places to CN and walk down Bloody Bay beach to either of the Office's Of Nature. You can walk but it would be on the road which in my opinion is very dangerous of a walk. ( we actually witnessed a pedestrian struck by a mini van when we were in the shuttle from CN to Csa)

I agree that walking on the main road is not the most advised. I personally prefer to walk to Ossies from the beach, I have never had a problem cutting thru Negril treehouse, and it is directly across the street. Staff at Negril Treehouse gave us directions the first time. Just remember though, Ossies is a shack, but do not let that deter you:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegaffneys/349785882/

Thanks for the replies - some great advice here.

Really looking forward to seeing Jamaica and Couples for the first time - 28!days to go!!! Yay!!!

I stay at CN...and want to check out Ossies! BTW, I run on the road from CN>CSA>CN - ~ 5 mile round trip...and I don't find it to be very trecherous. Wide shoulders, just pay attention.

What would be on the menu at OON (original one) during the months of May-July?

Quote Originally Posted by NE2Jam View Post
    What would be on the menu at OON (original one) during the months of May-July?
    I think the only thing ever on the menu at OON is lobster grilled on the open flame, garlic bread and beer. If it hasn't changed in the past year the lobsters are $20 each. I've never been there May - June though so it could be different then.
    I've been to both the new and the old. We've struck up a friendship with Smiley (who used to be at the old and is now at the new). He always remembers my hubby who has the same name as his son. Both places serve the same food, same price.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryInCO View Post
    I think the only thing ever on the menu at OON is lobster grilled on the open flame, garlic bread and beer. If it hasn't changed in the past year the lobsters are $20 each. I've never been there May - June though so it could be different then.
    I've been to both the new and the old. We've struck up a friendship with Smiley (who used to be at the old and is now at the new). He always remembers my hubby who has the same name as his son. Both places serve the same food, same price.
    I think the reason NE2Jam is asking is because there is a lobster season. It is illegal to sell lobster when out of season. I thought lobster was out of season April - June as opposed to May - July as NE2Jam stated.

I've never been to Jamaica during those months, so I'm not sure if the serve anything during off season. Red Snapper perhaps?
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

I was there out of lobster season and they were serving some type of fish.