Default Booked CSA for June '13 Honeymoon... I've got Questions!

Ahh... just booked our 7-day honeymoon and we couldn't be happier with our choice of CSA. The forum here was certainly a bit of help at times, so thanks! That being said, I do have some questions...

1) We're staying in a premier beachfront suite. Is there somewhere we could see more of the inside of the room? The 360 view is from out on the patio and you can see in the room, but not that much.

2) Tours... are there any "must-do" trips? We're thinking about doing the zip-line, but aren't sure about the rest. Also, what about non-CSA tours?

3) Tipping... I know there is a no-tipping policy, but at the same time, I've seen reviews here and there that mentioned having to tip on the trips and the airport bus... is this correct?

4) Bars... what's the policy on bringing your own cups? We're thinking of bringing some insulated Tervis Tumblers to help keep things cool... will they fill them up at the bars on the beach/by the pool? If so... does size matter (zing)?

5) How is the snorkeling?

So excited for our first trip as a married couple!

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Congrats on your upcoming honeymoon and visit to CSA. We'll do our best to answer your questions and are sure others will help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JLM6985 View Post
    Ahh... just booked our 7-day honeymoon and we couldn't be happier with our choice of CSA. The forum here was certainly a bit of help at times, so thanks! That being said, I do have some questions...

1) We're staying in a premier beachfront suite. Is there somewhere we could see more of the inside of the room? The 360 view is from out on the patio and you can see in the room, but not that much.
    Here's a link to pics we took from a second floor Beachfront Suite (now referred to as a Premier Beachfront Suite): http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecsimso...7624040604608/.

2) Tours... are there any "must-do" trips? We're thinking about doing the zip-line, but aren't sure about the rest. Also, what about non-CSA tours?
    We've done the Rhodes Hall horseback excursion and would not recommend it. Haven't tried but have heard good things about YS Falls, the Appleton Rum Tour and zip-lining from friends of ours that have been there also.

3) Tipping... I know there is a no-tipping policy, but at the same time, I've seen reviews here and there that mentioned having to tip on the trips and the airport bus... is this correct?
    Correct, no tipping to Couples employees. This does not include the driver that takes you to/from the airport, baggage handler at the airport and spa personnel on the resort, etc., who are not Couples employees. You can, however, bring gifts for Couples employees but be sure to leave a note to the person with the gift so they don't get in trouble for stealing.

4) Bars... what's the policy on bringing your own cups? We're thinking of bringing some insulated Tervis Tumblers to help keep things cool... will they fill them up at the bars on the beach/by the pool? If so... does size matter (zing)?
    Never thought about this as we've always been able to drink them before they got warm.

5) How is the snorkeling?
    Outstanding!!! And do try the night snorkeling excursion offered by CSA.

So excited for our first trip as a married couple!

Thanks,

Jim
    You're welcome and hope you have a fabulous visit!

Bart & Bug

I can address tipping, bars and snorkeling. You are allowed to tip the baggage handlers at the airport and the shuttle driver. Also, the spa employees and the catamaran cruise at CSA are allowed to accept tips.

Regarding bringing your own insulated mugs - we did that in the DR at and AI, but CSA will not fill them directly (it's been cited as a hygiene issue). No worries, just order a drink and then dump it into your tumbler.

The snorkeling is pretty good. We are avid snorkelers (have our own equipment), and while I don't consider Jamaica the Great Barrier Reef, or even Cancun, Grand Cayman, or Belize, it is certainly entertaining snorkeling. There are a nice variety of tropical fish and most of the reefs are in OK condition (very dependent on any recent storms that may have blown through). The snorkel trips last an hour, so you are only in the water for about 1/2 hour. It would be pretty hard to get bored looking at the fish and coral in a 1/2 hour.

Here is my Tervis Tumbler loaded up with a delicious Appleton VX and tonic. There is a "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" patch on the non visible side. Perfect cup.

Name:  vx and tonic.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  15.3 KB

Thanks for the pictures... they look great!

Bart & Bug and BobandJudy... thank you both for your help. Bart & Bug... the pictures looked great!

More on the tipping... should I get Jamaican dollars for this? If I use Jamaican dollars... what is appropriate? Should I just tip what I would consider the appropriate amount if I were using US dollars and then do the conversion math? I don't want to under tip... and I don't want to embarrass myself by grossly over tipping either.

Another question, I know there is a business center with a few computers as well as wi-fi in the rooms... are these pay-per-use or included? I've seen both in the past...

Thanks!

Jim

I think your questions have been cover very well but I thought I'd comment on the tours. IMO once you get to CSA there are so many things to do at the resort and on trips organised by CSA you wont want to go on additional tours. Take advantage of the catamaran trip, the snorkle trips, the trips to the Sands to watch the sunset (you have to pay for your drinks) and the trips to the Jungle room to party. Try a discovery dive too. If that's not enough, walk down the beach and you will find so many things going on you wont want to get on a bus and go anywhere. A lot of people think they will want to get off the resort and do different excursions but once they see the beach - they just can't leave. Wait until you see the beach and what's going on at the resort before you plan or book anything.
    If the beach and all of these activites aren't enough to keep you busy the only trip I would suggest is a trip to the Pelican Bar. It's a very unique experience and something I've never seen any where else. But it took us 5 trips to CSA before we made it to the Pelican Bar. I bet the same thing will happen to you too.
    Enjoy!
    Karon

Just to add a few things...

The bars always fill out mugs no problem

A great tour is one love bus bar crawl. You can search this forum or TA for more details. But it is a great way to see negril and meet some locals. Trust me you wont want to leave the resort much, especially your first time. This is a short trip pickup at 230 back by 7 and you just tip driver...and pay fpr any drinks or food you buy at bars...they hit 6 or 7 bars on the west side of negril

We never get jamaican dollars...always tip or pay in american and its fine. Tip like you would anywhere else...for us thats a few dollars per bag for porters, 10 or 20 shuttle (each way), 10 for cat cruise, and 20% give or take for spa. We also bring dollars to tip beach musicians.

And both wireless and business center are not an additional fee.

Congrates on your up coming wedding.

The Travis Tumblers are also great if you want to make a drink in your room and take with you for some night time star gazing.

Tipping- baggage handler $1 per bag. We give $5 for 3. They can be a bit aggressive about the tip, but so far they are they only ones who have been.
    Shuttle driver we give $20 per couple. Our drivers have pointed out the sites along the way and it was like a tour not just a drive to resort.
    Spa I tipped about 20%. Worth every penny.
    We give the musicians on the beach about $5 for two or three songs. Some sell CD's that are pretty good for $15 or $ 20.
    Everyone takes US money no need to exchange cash. Bring small bills no one will have change and don't forget to haggle for a better price.

There is a list of us going in June on the meet up page. We will be there June 7 - 17. Only 269 more days to go see you on the beach
    Last edited by redinthehead; September 11th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.