Default Just Back from CSS A Few Thoughts

We just returned from a week at CSS after staying at CN last year. This was our fourth trip to CSS and we loved it as always. A few observations

1. Why do we bother with the pre-checkin if they act like they have never heard of you before when you actually check-in? Had to spend the first hour chasing down our early booking and repeaters credits.
    2. No mini bar order forms - just call room service but you must be in the room for them to deliver. Also room service menu has been greatly reduced - only burgers and sandwiches - you used to be able to order a steak or fish if you wanted dinner in.
    3. Loved popcorn on the beach - not sure if that is new or I just never noticed it before.
    4. No lunch buffet - salads and desserts at Palizzino's are buffet but main course is off a menu.
    5. They are sandbagging at SSB in an attempt to redirect the river - hope it works!
    6. Stayed in B Block this time - we usually stay in G block and although I missed the view and the huge balcony it was super convenient being on beach level.
    7. Dive crew was great as always. DH developed an ear infection after the first few days - the nurse had a doctor at the resort within an hour. No more diving for him but I was impressed with how fast he was able to be seen.
    8. Repeat dinner on Wednesday (same as lobster night) not a buffet held in the Hellonica suite next to Palizzina's, steak dinner with 2 lobster medallions, not a full tail.
    9. There is really nothing better than a message in one of the huts on the cliffs, nothing at any resort I have been to can top that.
    10. Loved the visiting fitness instructor Connie, went to sunrise yoga twice (also a boot camp and water aerobics class as well).
    11. New bathrooms in the balloon bar are coming to the other public bathrooms (the pool bathrooms definitely needed a redo!)

We met lots of nice people but sadly are back to the grind of the real world. Counting down to our 2013 trip starting now...

Amy

Thanks for sharing. How did you "chase down" early booking credits? I mean, did you bring a confirmation letter or something? I am curious as we have early booking credits too. Room Service menu doesn't include nachos or pizza anymore either? Huh, one of the reasons we chose CSS was being bale to order dinner in the room if we wanted (providing we order before 2 pm) ....

Chase down meaning we had to find the concierge and request our repeaters deal - was delivered to our room the day after our arrival. For our early booking credit I had to show my confirmation and call 2 days in a row and finally a trip to the lobby to confirm it was credited to the account. Also note the early booking credit was applied to our account but when we checked out I had to physically hand them my repeater credit before they applied it to our account. Glad I saved it!

No nachos on the room service menu (asked if they had them off menu and were told no) but pizza is still available. Pizza and a fruit plate were really the only snack type items - everything else was salad or a sandwhich.

Amy

We were there in August after visiting & loving CN last year. We were very disappointed with the room service menu and never used it. It had been one of the reasons we chose CSS. We did have an amazing time despite that and the lack of Ting, my favorite mixer, at any of the bars for all 10 days

AAS,
    "11. New bathrooms in the balloon bar are coming to the other public bathrooms " - Can you explain what this means?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is the full In-Room menu from early Sept. (the recently reduced one).

In-Room Dining Menu

Please dial extension 6087 or 6088 to place your order

BREAKFAST
    6:00 AM to 11:00 AM

Deli PLatter
    Smoked Fish / Beef Pastrami / Gherkins / Pickled Onions & Capers

Fruit Plate with Yogurt

Eggs
    Omelette or Scrambled

Sides
    Bacon / Sausage / Today's Potatoes / Baked Beans
    Toast - Whole Wheat or White

Jamaica Classic
    Please Call for Today's Special

All Day Dining
    11:00 AM to 9:30 PM

Soup of the Day
    Please Check with Room Service for Today's Soup

Classic Caesar Salad
    Crisp Romaine Lettuce / Capers / Anchovies / Parmesan / Garlic Croutons
    Choose from / Jerk Chicken Slivers / Saute Shrimps

Hamburger / Cheeseburger
    Tomato / Lettuce / Pickles / Onion / Cheddar Cheese

Pizza Margarita
    Choose From Onions / Pineapple / Bacon
    Spicy Jerk Sausage / Chicken

Jerk Chicken
    French Fries / Cole Slaw / Corn on the Cob

Club Sandwich
    Crispy Bacon / Chicken / Tomatoes / Eggs

Pan-Fried Snapper Sandwich
    On Jamaican Cocoa Bread / Lettuce / Tomatoes / Cucumber
    Pickles / Onion / Tartar Sauce

French Fries

DESSERTS

Cheese Cake
    With Raspberry Coulis

Fruit Plate
    Selection of Local Exotic Fruits

Chocolate Mousse
    Sesame Tuille

Well that is disappointing. We were there last Nov and we were really looking forward to the room service a couple of nights.
    The steaks were wonderful.
    Oh well. the Jerk chicken is good.

I am very disappointed by that menu as well. It used to have fish, steak and chicken entrees on it so you could have a nice meal in your room if you wanted a quiet night in.. no more I guess. Sad - this was one big thing in CSS' favor. I hope it changes back soon! We will be there in April and I really hope to see improvement there!
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by denkim View Post
    Well that is disappointing. We were there last Nov and we were really looking forward to the room service a couple of nights.
    The steaks were wonderful.
    Oh well. the Jerk chicken is good.
    Should've pointed out that we were told by the Sales Mgr. who sat with us at the Repeater Dinner that the reduced In-Room menu was a temporary change because of the low season.

She said the change for lunch at Palazzina was also temporary.
    Last edited by rudi; September 27th, 2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Rudi!
    Thanks for sharing the room service menu! I see that they've cut back on the entree selections, but I am TOTALLY thrilled that they have ADDED hot breakfasts!!!!!! When we were there in July all you could get was a continental breakfast!!!! Although I love breakfast at Palazzina, having a hot breakfast on my balcony sounds awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks again for sharing!!!!!
    suzyQ

they still have the old menu on the web site. does cti have the same menu?

Quote Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
    ... I am TOTALLY thrilled that they have ADDED hot breakfasts!!!...
    Although I love breakfast at Palazzina, having a hot breakfast on my balcony sounds awesome!!!!!!!
    Yes, suzyQ, the disappointment in the reduced menu was offset by the pleasant surprise of a full breakfast menu on the in-room dining.

We had breakfast at Palazzina once, but after we had breakfast on our balcony (and having a hot breakfast with the incredible view from our G Block balcony was indeed awesome) we did that every day afterwards.

Rudi is the man with the answers!! Although I haven't been to CSS, I think it's kind of sad that because someone chooses to go in the slow season, the room service is cut back from the wonderful food it once was.

To clarify on the bathrooms...they have recently remodeled the bathrooms off the Balloon Bar. We were told at the repeaters dinner that the same style is going to be used for the upcoming remodel for the bathrooms at the pool and SSB. Work was scheduled to start the week after we left so maybe in process now.

Amy

come on people, if you cannot find something good on this menu, i feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AAS View Post
    To clarify on the bathrooms...they have recently remodeled the bathrooms off the Balloon Bar. ...
    Ahh, got it. That makes sense.
    The Pallazina bathrooms (I mean the bathrooms next to Heliconia room), were being remodeled during the 1st week of September.
    Room B2 was set up as a temporary public bathroom for women, with B3 for men.

We also learned that during low occupancy, the buffet at lunch is replace a la carte. It was a good lunch menu too, and the appetizers and desserts were still buffet style. However, when the resort picked up over the weekend, the buffet returned.

I prefer the buffet as we can get samples of everything, right away, rather than just one main item and having to wait for it to be made. But I also understand that much of the buffet food is wasted.

Currently here now and the buffet lunch is still in effect. The bathrooms at the main pool are being renovated as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican_we-are View Post
    they still have the old menu on the web site. does cti have the same menu?
    The room service menu for CTI is the same as posted. I disappointed as I wanted a dinner in one night but ccouldnt eat any of the sandwiches