Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default leave my jewelry at home?

Since I haven't been to Jamaica before, I was wondering if I should leave my engagement and wedding rings at home. I don't usually wear them when I'm laying out or swimming, so they would spend most of the time in the safe during the day. I know the CSA is well secured, but what if we left the resort in the evening?

I know I sound paranoid, but my in-laws' stories have me a bit worried...especially because my engagement diamond was my MIL's 5th anniversary stone, and when SHE wore it to Jamaica, she said it made her uncomfortable. That being said, it's been probably 20 years since they've been back, and it was only her opinion anyway.

Sorry my question is so long winded!

no you don't sound paranoid at all.....rather be safe than sorry....leave the real bling at home!!!

I wore mine the whole time...no problem mon!
    I feel naked w/o them..lol

Common sense is paramount. Don't go waving them around in dark alleys, use proper transports, and leave the worry behind...not the jewelry.

I wore my wedding band and left anything else valuable at home. I bought some decent cheap costume jewelry to wear to dinner so that I wouldn't worry if it was lost or stolen.

I always leave mine at home. Seen SEVERAL people lose wedding rings swimming, playing volleyball, etc.
    Lew

I am leaving in two days... ALL my jewelry will not go on vacation. They will be put to bed in the SAFE at home.

Why bring it if it causes you any kind of stress at all. Your supposed to be enjoying yourself, not worring about Bling....

I put mine in the safe when we get there and that's where it stays. i take some cheap earrings for the evenings and that's it.

Regardless of how safe you're advised to feel, chances are that you'll have nagging doubts... best to leave the bling at home. No need to feel uncomfortable with that.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Mine aren't that expensive, just has sentimental (after 35 years)value. I took mine, put them in the safe when not wearing them. I feel odd without them when I dress up a little. But, if you don't feel the need for them, leave them home, save the worry. That is the nice thing about couples. No one is "looking" for anybody to be with, they are already with their SO, so it doesn't matter if you have a ring on or not.
    Linda

I have jewelry that I use exclusively for travel when the destination is tropical. I leave my wedding and anniversary rings at home and wear an eternity band, and I have necklaces and earrings that are more appropriate to pair with casual wear. I somehow lost my watch at CSS last week; glad it was a less expensive watch and not my Movado.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I leave all of my good jewelry at home and take my 'beach' jewelry. I just don't want anything to happen to my good jewelry and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I did end up loosing a necklace in the ocean last December and still miss it, but it was just made up of shells. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost some of my good jewelry. Leave it at home in a safe and find some imitation stuff to take with you.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Leave them home!

Perfect excuse to buy a great set of fakes. I have two bridal sets in sterling silver and cz's that get more compliments then my much nicer real ring. Don't know why anyone bothers with real diamonds anymore the fakes are so good.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

If it makes you nervous, leave it at home. I have always felt safe enough to wear mine in the evenings. We don't travel outside of the resort at night though.
    Kristen

seriously... isnt this a no brainer... why do you even have to ask? If you don't care or have enough money that if you lose it you wont care bring it. Otherwise, leave it at home.

I bring all of my jewelery and leave it in the safe during the day. If I were in your position, I probably would leave your engagement diamond at home since there is sentimental value (other than your own). Whatever you decide...do not under any circumstances wear your rings into the water--pool and ocean if they are the least bit loose. Every trip we see people lose their rings playing volleyball, on the cat cruz, etc. Have a great trip!

A lot of people leave their good stuff at home, but it's not because it's Jamaica. It's because the sand and chlorine aren't good for jewelry AND the water and suntan lotions make even the tightest rings slippery. In ALL of our trips to Couples, we have always seen at least one person lose their wedding ring (which is usually brand new) in the water or sand. This year at CSA was the only time we've ever seen it be found. So if you do take it, leave it in the safe during the day!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I like the idea of a fab set of fakes... I do feel naked without them on...I just hope I don't wind up liking the fakes more than my real ones!

Ditto what Amy said. I've never been to Couples without seeing at least one couple searching frantically in the sand for a lost ring. Usually, sadly, newlyweds.

I leave my engagement ring at home and just wear my weddding band, which only comes out of the safe for dinner. But even then, there is a risk. We went on vacation last year and my husband's ring got lost in transit back home. He had me "keep it safe" instead of wearing it as he had recently broken his pinky and the ring bothered it sometimes. We got home and it was nowhere to be found. I can't tell you how I wish it had just been left in its case at home the whole time and never taken with us. It wasn't an expensive ring, couldn't care less about the money, it's totally a sentimental thing. Not worth bringing it at all, IMHO.

Great tips, never even thought to get a CZ but I'm headed out to the store right now to get one!

I never take my jewelry off, especially my rings, but if I did, I would leave them home.

Default CZ Fakes

For this reason I bought a fake sterling silver set on ebay. It was like 25 bucks and really gives me peice of mind.
    Its not just Jamaica but all the people and airports we will encounter on our layovers, hotels, etc.

Like the others said - better to be safe then sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    A lot of people leave their good stuff at home, but it's not because it's Jamaica. It's because the sand and chlorine aren't good for jewelry AND the water and suntan lotions make even the tightest rings slippery. In ALL of our trips to Couples, we have always seen at least one person lose their wedding ring (which is usually brand new) in the water or sand. This year at CSA was the only time we've ever seen it be found. So if you do take it, leave it in the safe during the day!
    BINGO you nailed it!
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Leave it at home. Not because it is Jamaica but because if you lose it in the water - you will most likely never find it again. We bought cheap sets at Kohl's. Just like the others have said, better safe than sorry.

My wife wears her wedding rings and a good set of earrings when we go. She also brings other low cost jewelry for dinners.

If you have flashy wedding ring or something, I would leave that home. No reason to draw attention to yourself.
    Irie Mon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast