Default Saturday Scuba Diving

I have a question regarding the Saturday dives. We are newly certified Open Water (Got certified in Mermet Springs, IL quarry) and will be arriving to CSA on Friday 11/23. We want to be able to dive on Saturday since we will only be at CSA for 4 nights. Will we be able to sign up for the Saturday dives on Friday when we get there? This will be our 5th trip to Couples, but first time as divers. How does it work? Do you sign up day before? If we get to the resort around 3pm on Friday will that be enough time to get on the Saturday list? Just worried because we only have Sat, Sun and Mon to dive and we want to dive as much as possible.

Tammie & Mike
    CTI-Feb'08/CSA-Dec'08/CSA&CN-Mar'11
    CSS Mar'12/CSA Nov '12/CSA Dec '13/CSA Feb '15

What time are you flying on Friday? I just got off work and am too tired to do the math, but make sure you're leaving enough time between flying and diving.

The morning dives usually meet at 8:30 to check in, gear up, and get briefed by the divemaster, and the boat goes out around 9 AM. Saturday is a 2 tank dive, and yes you sign up for your dives the day before. Make sure you bring your certification card and log book if you have one.

The dive shop closes around 3:30-4 pm so if you arrive at 3, you may have enough time to sign up if space is available, but you will need to get to the dive shop asap when you arrive. Have fun, I'm sure you will love diving in Negril after learning in a quarry

There should be someone at the dive shop when you get there. After you check in go to the dive shop and sign up and remember to take your log books and dive cards. If the dive shop is closed when you get there, show up early on Saturday and see if there is room on the boat.

I would head staight for the dive hut whenyou get there to sign up.

Hello Trhops! Congratulations on your OW certifications!!!

ANSWER: As soon as you get to the resort on Friday, go right to the dive shop and fill out all the paperwork. Make sure to have your logbooks & PADI cards handy in your backpack. Assuming that the Saturday dive isn't already full, you should be able to get on the list with no problem. You are only allowed to sign up the day before. If the list for Saturday is full, I would recommend you head down to the dive shop anyway in case anyone cancels.

Happy warm Jamaica diving! Give Brian a hug from me!

[QUOTE=leoconnor;190604]Hello Trhops! Congratulations on your OW certifications!!!

Leoconnor, I have you to thank so much for all of the encouragement and support!

I am flying in on the US Airways flight from Charlotte arriving into MBJ about 12:30pm. Looks like most of the flights have been averaging about 12:10-12:20ish.

That will be a bummer if we can't dive on Saturday since we will only have Sunday and Monday then
    QUOTE]

Tammie & Mike

trhops,
    Let the crew know you will be there for only a few days. I'm sure they'll be sure to find a way to get you on the dive boat. Enjoy your trip!

When we have arrived after the dive shop closes we have always been able to show up early the next morning and get on that dive. If they have a full boat it may be a problem but we've never had that happen to us - we usually go during low season in August or September.

Amy

Try emailing the Dive Master and asking him if he will book you in given the circumstances. Good Luck

Just a thought; if you can't get on the dive see if they have a night dive going out. It will be an additional cost but I hear it's worth the price. We're planning on doing a night dive on our next visit as part of our advance certification. If that isn't an option I'd call a local dive shop and book something through them. I understand your "need" to get a couple of dives in. I'm a new diver too and I've got the same obsession.
    Karon

Question about morning and afternoon dives. Even though they indicate deep dives in the morning does that mean Open water cannot go out for the morning dive only Advanced? We just got OW certified and will be bummed out if we only get to dive 1x a day instead of 2. We are coming down next week for only 4 nights so I am trying to see if they accomodate the OW certified on the am dives.

Tammie & Mike

The Saturday Dive schedule puts the Earlier dive in the hands of the Dive Master (maybe Shaggy?) who may size up the group on experience, most are OW and perhaps a few AOW or Specialty Divers. The profile may be 65-70 ft, There are several good sites for the first dive, then surface interval of 40-50 minutes offshore. The second dive will be a shallower profile from 50-40, again in one of several great sites. You will not have and issue on your experience, yet some rusty logbook divers may be required to do a pool checkout session.
    The New Lady Jane Dive boat, 3 months old, is very accommodating on a full boat of divers. The equipment is fine, but bring your mask, and shorty if you have one. Rental on neoprene is available. ps: contrary to an earlier inquiry, the fly-in Fri time is immaterial to no-fly/ off gassing. You'll enjoy the dive crew.

In my three trips to CSA I have never had a problem getting on a dive, even when the dive shop was CLOSED on a Friday afternoon that we arrived late. I went to the dive shop EARLY on Saturday as soon as it opened, took my log books and C-Cards, and was able to dive on that Saturday. The first dive of the day is the deepest of the 2 dives that you will make that day, the depth generally in the 60-80 foot range and the second dive about 50-60 feet according to my logs. My deepest dive there has been 91 feet and only 4 other dives over 80 feet out of the 31 dives that I have made there. You actually see more on the dives in the 40-60 foot range. If you get a chance, pay the fee and do a night dive. Shaggy and I had a nurse shark in a cave in the coral that we tried to get out for the rest of the group to see that dove with us, but we were unable to do so. The night dive is really worth the money. Do not worry about not having done one before as the CSA dive crew is the best and will keep you at ease. The marine life really comes out at night and the lights that are used make it really easy to see. You do not have to worry about no-fly/off gassing until you are ready to leave, NO diving at least 24 hours before flying and the dive crew will make sure that does not happen. The first day that you sign up at the dive shop, you have to tell them when you are leaving. Ask the dive crew about shooting lion fish on your dive, it is really fun, will help the reef and they are really tasty. If you have the time before arriving, go get a pole spear to bring with you in case the crew is short on spears. Be sure to check with the crew about shooting the fish beforehand as handling them is dangerous unless you know what you are doing.