Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Repeater dinner: yes or no?

We are returning to Couples for the 3rd time. Our visits are Not frequent enough to really know anyone there. Of course by the end of each trip we have befriended guests and employees but each visit we kinda start from scratch.
    Is it worth it to go to the repeaters dinner if we don't know anyone? I have read posts about it being a very long dinner and people skipping it for that reason... But other posts say that it's not to be missed. To go or not to go...
    We only have 6 nights so I am leaning toward no...

With the same regard, should we do a trade with CN for a day? I have a feeling sand gravity will prevent us from leaving CSA.
    I sound so lazy!

AmyHaz, We always go to the Repeater Dinner because it is one of the best meals at the resort. I have attended when the dinner was quite lengthy; however, the past couple of years it has not taken as long. We always think that it would be a good thing to trade with CN for a day, but sand gravity causes us to lay back and enjoy CSA's beach. We haven't been to CN for several years...so we just might this year???

You should go at least once IMO.

The returners dinner is simply another way to meet more guests - and of course the managers you may not meet - one year we sat with the head of housekeeping -not only was he lovely, it was really informative (if your interested) to know about the napkins and laundry etc etc - So up to you, the food can be patchy - but heard better things of late - but if you would rather a romantic evening on you own, your not missing out on anything majorly. My friend who is veggie - finds the meal very difficult to find the same standard as other restaurant menus on that night. We usually do it as we are usually there for 2 weeks. but would not feel it was the end of the world on a short break if we missed it.

Go to the reception before the dinner, then skip the dinner. It's a set meal, and too bad if you don't like what's being served (typically tiny piece of meat with tiny piece of seafood). The music the couple of years we went was too loud, and you had to shout to speak with those at your table. You're seated at round tables for 10, so can pretty much only talk to the person right next to you. The dinner is very long. Yes, did I mention "skip it"?

We've always done the repeaters dinner, because of the meal itself and ended up meeting some greet people there. with the staff is also very worthwhile, to hear how they got started at Couples, and what their job entails. We had a head chef at our table one night. The food didn't come out just right and he left the employees know about it, right in front of everyone. We always look forward to it.

Duane & Mary

I'm not a fan of the Repeater's Dinner. I am a vegetarian (and so is my husband) and we found that the Repeater's Dinner at CN was a fixed entree (only one) and it was one we couldn't eat. Since we were already seated we were faced with the option of A) not eating but staying to watch others eat, B) getting up and leaving (which would seem rude and ungracious), or C) asking the chef to make a special plate for us (which we didn't want to do because it would cause the chef extra work and would make us seem like difficult guests). We decided that the least objectionable of our options was C, and we did ask the chef to make a special plate for us but I felt horrible asking him to go to the trouble.

At the Repeater's Dinner at CSS, they did have two options and I seem to remember that one of them was easily made into a vegetarian dish so I didn't feel so guilty.

Basically, I didn't enjoy the Repeater's Dinner at CN very much. The conversation was stilted. partially because the guests were seated at one long table and we were at the end, so if the people immediately across from you and on your side were not conversational or if you had nothing in common with them, it was difficult to make small talk for 2 hours. In addition, the food was only so-so.

I did enjoy the Repeater's Dinner at CSS a little bit more. We were seated at round tables, so you had more options of other guests to chit-chat with at your table. Also, they had a drawing so prizes were given out (we didn't win, but it was a fun little group activity), and the GM at CSS was more sociable. The food was a little bit better at the CSS Repeater's Dinner, too.

However, all in all, I probably won't waste a precious night in Jamaica by going to the Repeater's Dinner again, at least not when I go back to CN in a few weeks.

We went last year, it was our second visit, it was an excellent meal. We had the pleasure of sitting with the food services manager so it seemed that the servers were extra cautious with our table since it was their boss. We learned a lot, had the opportunity to meet other couples who provided knowledge of the other Couples resorts. We didn't find it long or any longer then we would of sat at dinner ourselves. It was good to meet others and talk.

We said we were doing trading places last year but found that we just couldn't give up a day at Swept Away. There always seemed to be something we wanted to do everyday to leave. We are going again in November this year and saying we are doing to do it. I guess we will see. We did meet a couple at the pool who was at SA from Negril.. They said they enjoy doing the trading places. It gives them a fun day away and experience the food and they do it every year.

Ya Mon
    CSA 2012, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AmyHaz View Post
    We are returning to Couples for the 3rd time. Our visits are Not frequent enough to really know anyone there. Of course by the end of each trip we have befriended guests and employees but each visit we kinda start from scratch.
    Is it worth it to go to the repeaters dinner if we don't know anyone? I have read posts about it being a very long dinner and people skipping it for that reason... But other posts say that it's not to be missed. To go or not to go...
    We only have 6 nights so I am leaning toward no...

With the same regard, should we do a trade with CN for a day? I have a feeling sand gravity will prevent us from leaving CSA.
    I sound so lazy!
    ....Definitely YES!!!

We are struggling with this same question this visit. We've been to the repeaters dinner before but it was quite lengthy. I enjoyed seeing the staff. We'll make a last minute decision when we get to the resort in 10 days but right now I'm leaning toward not going this time. I'd much rather enjoy the resort than sit at a dinner table.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

If you like socializing then may be fun to go and meet some of the staff and other couples that you may not have otherwise during your trip. It usually is one of the best dinners you will have while there but it also will take about 2 hours out of your evening. We have been to the Repeaters Dinner 3 times at CSA and twice at CSS. In our opinion, the dinner at CSS is much better than at CSA. At CSS the food seems to be a little better, your in an air conditioned room (CSAs dinner is at Patios) , there is a raffle that happens during dinner and in general just a more pleasant evening overall. Just our opinion. I am definitly not NOT knocking CSA in any way. We LOVE CSA for so many other reasons but will probably skip ithe dinner the next few times we go.
    You can always play if by ear when you get there. Make the reservation but no one is going to MAKE you go if you feel like doing something different that evening. On one hand , it's a GREAT meal and you can meet other repeaters and get their opinions on other things, other resorts. On the other hand , it is a long dinner and it is outside and hot because most people dress better for it than cargo shorts and a tee. If you have never been I really would suggest going at least once.

CSA Aug. 2011, July 2012, July 2013, July 2014
    CSS Aug. 2011, Aug. 2014

Quote Originally Posted by AmyHaz View Post
    Is it worth it to go to the repeaters dinner if we don't know anyone?
    If you do not want to meet new poeple, then do not go. I personally love eating a wonderful dinner while meeting new people, and have never found it long.
    Last edited by Artie; August 26th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

I have to agree with Soft, go, if at any time you want to leave, get up and go. If things drag on, leave. We have gone a few times and really had a good time. Other times we have sat next to a few that we couldn't wait to get away from, so we did. You can always leave!

We have attended a number of repeater's dinners, and at first they were quite informative and the food was very good. We don't anymore. I guess the novelty wore off and we like everything less structured these days. So, I'd say go if you're in doubt. You may find in one, two or five visits you just won't feel like it and that will be that.

Doing the trading places is very easy. Hopefully curiosity to check out CN will win out over sand gravity. They have a nice beach as well, so you can beach it for several hours at CN about as easily as CSA. It's just a few minutes away.

I think your first Repeater's Dinner is always fun. I think it's a toss up if we go now after 9 trips. One thing I will say is this.....If you RSVP to attend, please go or cancel your reservation with Guest Services. The staff and chefs base their plans on the number of RSVP's. On our last trip to CSS in July, I heard from folks that attended that more than half of the people who RSVP'd didn't show up so a lot of lobster and other wonderful food went to waste.

We go to the repeaters dinner at both CN and CSA.

The downside, especially at CN, is the din created by all guests talking at once in the Lychee restaurant which has terrible acoustics and the noise just reverberates off the walls.. As others have said you can pretty much only talk to the person beside you. I could barely understand the person across from me. We do enjoy the interaction just not the noise. The dinners have been Excellent at CN. But the before dinner drinks in the Piano bar is tight.

AT CSA the meal has been served at Patois when we have been there. A larger area so it is not so tight during cocktails. Alas though, while I find sitting at a round table helpful, there is still a lot of noise from other conversations going on around you, which makes hearing the people a few chairs away very difficult. I have always felt the meals at CSA were not as good at CN, but that could be me and not a reflection at all on the chef.

Only twice was I close enough to the Couple's manager to interact or even hear what that person was saying. Both at CN when they held it on the pool deck. One was a delightful person in charge of their laundry facility and we come to find out he had gone to college about 30 miles from us and the other was Karen when she was manger at CN. We enjoyed talking about Vegas and other things.

We debate going or not but usually do. We will be at CSA in 57 days and will go because we have a couple with us who it will be there first time to take advantage of the repeaters dinner.

IMO go at least once, have a good time and then you can make your own choice afterwards. It is dress like the nice restaurant, although some will wear shorts and sandals, not the normal for sure.

Do they have any kind of dinner for the first timer? A perfect chance to meet others? Can first timers go to this dinner as well?

We have always gone and loved it! We love getting to talk to some of the staff and the food is always excellent. I mean your on vacation...does it really matter if the dinner takes "too long?"

Went to CN repeater on 18th Aug, 1st night in resort! agree long tables are not ideal! but food was great. Ideal to get to know some faces 1st night in, not sure if I would go near end of stay?

Quote Originally Posted by cheyennenoah View Post
    Do they have any kind of dinner for the first timer? A perfect chance to meet others? Can first timers go to this dinner as well?

.....The is special "Repeater Dinner" is part of the "Rewards Program" for repeat guest.

The best one I ever attended was the first one. I think it was 2006 at Patois. There were maybe 5 or 6 couples and we were at a large table at the back end of the restaurant. It was fairly quiet and the food was good.

Subsequent years saw the event becoming less quaint and having the noise issues that smroot mentions. Still a good meal and good time if you are at all social and the service is top notch with all the managers around. If the long evening is an issue just bail after dinner and go get dessert at The Palms or another restaurant at your resort.

Have always gone to the Repeaters Dinner and never regretted it. The food is always good. It is great to visit with other guests and one of the management staff. Definitely do it.

If it is your first visit, you are not invited to repeaters dinner. But I agree with a previous poster that there should be a special dinner for the first timers. This would have been nice for us on our first visit. These are the folks management wants to turn into "repeaters".

If it is your first opportunity to attend, I would say definitely go. We had an incredible meal at CSS (actually it was too good: Too rich, too much, too full... I didn't sleep well that night :-/ ). It was a good experience but it is a long evening and I was getting anxious to leave during the announcements. Next year we'll see, but we might have to "pass".
    CTI & CSS 2014

I would go. I am not much for striking up a conv but it seems easy to do so in that environment and most years there is at least 1 0r 2 couples that we talk with through the week. I don't eat seafood and they always tweak the meal for me so you can play with the set meal.

Quote Originally Posted by cheyennenoah View Post
    Sorry cheyennenoah - the repeaters dinner is a thank you for the returning guests - however the managers cocktail party and beach parties etc are an excellent chance to meet others and talk to the staff - they are open to all - make the most of your trip - talk to people and staff and when you return - your returners dinner won't seem like the first time you have been!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast