Thread: Running at CSA

Default Running at CSA

We will be getting to CSA a week from Sunday and I have question for runners. I am in the midst of training for a half marathon and don't want skip out on my training even while on vacation. I need to run about 3 miles twice while I'm there and about 7 miles another time. I would prefer the treadmill to be my last option.

So my question is where do you run? Is there a track anywhere near or do you run the road? I'm not too sure how I would do with running the beach.

I run on the road (it has wide shoulders...not nearly as crazy as some will tell you it is). I always stay at CN, so I go out to the road and run to CSA, turn around and come back to CN. It is about a 5 mile round trip. Even though I KNOW that they drive on the opposite side of the street than the U.S., it still freaks me out just a little bit when I see the cars coming down the "wrong" side of the street. Remember to bring a brightly colored shirt or two so that you will be easy to see...and consider getting out early in the morning as it does get warm.

Best of luck and enjoy your run!

Quote Originally Posted by jmac1026 View Post
    We will be getting to CSA a week from Sunday and I have question for runners. I am in the midst of training for a half marathon and don't want skip out on my training even while on vacation. I need to run about 3 miles twice while I'm there and about 7 miles another time. I would prefer the treadmill to be my last option.

So my question is where do you run? Is there a track anywhere near or do you run the road? I'm not too sure how I would do with running the beach.
    There is a track, but it gets really monotonous, and there are lots of turns so it is hard to get into a good cadence. You could run the road, but face traffic and run on the gravel, there are no sidewalks. The other option is the beach, 3 miles would be fun. 7 would be brutal since the sand slows you down so much. Missing 1 7 miler in favor of 3-4 is not that big of a deal. I have done lots of half marathons, the biggest deal is just getting the overall miles in.

I love running at CSA and only EVER run on the beach. If you run towards CN, you can get in a decent 5 miler. There is a path through the "woods" that will lead you to a stretch of beach that goes all the way to Hedo.

I also love running the opposite way, and while it's sometimes sandy and soft depending on the tides, it's always fun. Just remember to slow down a bit, and wear shoes that you don't mind getting wet.
    I've gotten in almost 9 miles going that way. (Out and back.)

Enjoy!!
    Ragnar Relay 2014 - MIAMI to KEY WEST!
    Marine Corp Marathon: 10/12 4:09
    NYC Marathon 11/6/11 - 4:21
    Chicago Marathon 10/10/10 - 4:19
    Marine Corp Marathon '09 - 4:26 / '08 - 4:28[/FONT]

I run the beach North. Getting 3 miles in on the beach is easy if you stay on the waters edge. better footing. Get up early though. It does get hot.

Life is good

Thanks all for the suggestions. Might try the beach.

Hi jmac1026,

My husband was training for a marathon during a previous visit and ran on the road with no problems. LOL, I think the worst thing he had to avoid were the large crabs that were there in the early morning.

The shoulders are wide, and the drivers there are used to seeing people on the road, so just use common sense and run toward oncoming traffic and stay well in. As Bert says, run early before it gets too warm, and wear a light colored shirt.

Have fun, we're looking forward to being there in a couple of week running down the road too!

Karen

Hi Jmac1026!

I too am a runner and have ran while at CSA. For a long run, I would suggest running the beach and mixing it up a bit with the trail/track by the fitness center. One day, I ran the trail/track....then went to the beach. It really made for a pleasant 7 mile run. What the heck....you could even add a treadmill to the routine. While on vacation, try to make running fun (and also safe). Wishing you much success with your half marathon. I am running one this coming Sunday! Love that distance!

Does anybody know the length of the track at CSA?

I run on the beach going north to avoid being hassled by vendors. I also run on the sidewalks through the resorts before most people are up and about. The track across the street does have a lot of turns but it's pretty over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
    Does anybody know the length of the track at CSA?
    It is a quarter of a mile. I thought there is no way i could do 3 miles, but it wasn't an issue.
    Just go early because it gets hot!

We were back in April 2013...and returning in a few weeks. Last year, I ran on the track a bit (just a warm up)....then headed to the beach. I love running on the beach. As I mentioned in my 2012 post.....the beach is great for running. If you go out in the early am...the temp is lovely and the people are scarce. This makes for great running and tranquility. Good luck on your race!

The track is about 1/3 of a mile long. It's a little sloped in some spots but I do enjoy the run because it's really pretty. Longest I've run on the track is 4 miles. I don't enjoy running on the beach so for me it's the track as I don't feel all that comfortable by myself out on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by lvgal View Post
    The track is about 1/3 of a mile long. It's a little sloped in some spots but I do enjoy the run because it's really pretty. Longest I've run on the track is 4 miles. I don't enjoy running on the beach so for me it's the track as I don't feel all that comfortable by myself out on the road.
    I'm not big on running on the beach either. Thank you so much for the information.

Does anyone know if my garmin gps watch will work? We will be staying at CN and will be near the end of our marathon training so will have to get some longer runs in. Thanks.

Does anyone know if my garmin gps watch will work there? We will be at the end of our marathon training so can't skip out on our long runs. Hoping it works! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmac1026 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by missincn View Post
    Does anyone know if my garmin gps watch will work there? We will be at the end of our marathon training so can't skip out on our long runs. Hoping it works! Thanks
    To JMAC1026: We will be at CN a week from next Saturday and my husband is training for a marathon. He's got a couple of long runs to do during the week we are there (i.e. 10 - 12 miles) and then the rest of the days shorter runs (about 5 - 6 miles). I've researched these boards endlessly for him, trying to figure out where he can run. The best I've come up with is running from CN on the street down to where you can cut over onto 7 mile beach and running the length of that beach and then return. He should run right by CSA. I've read other's posts that say this route is the best for long runs and can be done, but we'll see once we get there. I would prefer that he doesn't run on the street the entire way because I'm worried about his safety. I know you aren't staying at CN and are staying at CSA, but you should be able to do a modified version of this route.

To Missincn: As for the Garmin watch, my husband has one and uses it all the time when he runs. He's planning on taking it with us to Jamaica and he fully expects it to work. I'll come back to this board after we return and let you know whether it worked or did not work.
    Last edited by CA_girl_in_TX; September 5th, 2014 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_girl_in_TX View Post
    We will be at CN a week from next Saturday and my husband is training for a marathon. He's got a couple of long runs to do during the week we are there (i.e. 10 - 12 miles) and then the rest of the days shorter runs (about 5 - 6 miles). I've researched these boards endlessly for him, trying to figure out where he can run. The best I've come up with is running from CN on the street down to where you can cut over onto 7 mile beach and running the length of that beach and then return. He should run right by CSA. I've read other's posts that say this route is the best for long runs can be done but we'll see once we get there. I would prefer that he doesn't run on the street the entire way because I'm worried about his safety.

As for the Garmin watch, my husband has one and uses it all the time when he runs. He's planning on taking it with us to Jamaica and fully expects it to work. I'll come back to this board and let you know whether it did or not when we return.
    Our time will overlap at CN! We will be there 16-23rd! Hunt me down and I can let your husband know how the roads are and where to run/not to run by then. My 22 mile run is supposed to happen while we are there but I have a feeling I should just try to get that in before we go! Just hoping the garmin works there! I'm not a treadmill girl!

A guy I ran with this past April did a long run (14 miles) on the road from CN to Negril and back. The road is not bad.

Okay. I'm just going to blurt this out. We ran in April and tried 6 AM. It's hot and humid! We might be a little less accustomed to the heat than some (We run all winter, well into the negative digits sometimes) but you had better be prepared for a little less ambitious distance/pace.