Default CSA: Tipping, School Supplies & Scuba ??

First timer, arriving Friday at CSA! I have three questions that I need answered, if you guys would be so kind:

1) Tipping is prohibited, but I keep reading reviews of TA that talk about people tipping and staff eagerly accepting tips. Iím so confused on how this works. Could someone please give me some straight talk on this topic??

2) Iíd like to bright school supplies to donate. What do they consider to be most useful or needed?

3) I underwent LASIK 3 weeks ago and had wanted to go scuba diving, but Iíve heard that Iíll have to swim without goggles in the pool in order to get approved to go into the ocean. Iím a little nervous to do that, since my surgery wasnít that long ago and Iíd hate to mess something up. Can anyone let me know if this is true or not?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Re. the Tipping, a no tipping policy is strictly enforced. This is one of the things that appeals to my wife and I. We pay a little more, but do not have to worry about always having tip money available to hand out. THe few patrons that due ignore the policy are putting the employees at risk of reprimand.

We have only been to CSA three time, but have never once been asked for a tip by a couples employee not even the lady's who work in the spa ( they can and you should tip them). I really dislike to read a review that says I know couples is a non tipping resort but ........ the but is people who know not to and do anyway feel rules and policies are not for them. And that some how that a few $$ they are giving is worth the risk to someones job. Not to mention putting that person on the spot with trying not to offend you by turning down the tip. Plus by not allowing tipping we all are treated to the same great service not just the person handing out cash. And as Randymon had said we only see the actors on stage not all the people behind the stage working hard to make your vacation wonderful as well.

In all our travels to couples not once have we been asked to tip. As for school supplies we usually take pens,pencils, pencil crayons etc. I always think what I used to buy for my boys when they were in school and just buy those kind of things. Anything you take will be most appreciated. Can't speak for the diving. Enjoy your trip. you will love CSA>

ya mon tara. we just got back from csa, we also took school supplies and went to the pre school with shelly simpson, the most needed items for right now are paper, crayons and pencils, you can take them to the main office and give them to karen davis, or shelly simpson, i know these supplies will get in the hands of the children, big up waynef

Are you on facebook at all Tara? The "Dive Club" there has a thing on facebook. That is pretty much where I got all of my diving questions answered. These are the people who do the instruction and training. It is "Couples Swept Away Dive Club". You might also ask the surgeon who did your surgery? They might be able to help you too! Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tara Bross View Post
    First timer, arriving Friday at CSA! I have three questions that I need answered, if you guys would be so kind:

3) I underwent LASIK 3 weeks ago and had wanted to go scuba diving, but Iíve heard that Iíll have to swim without goggles in the pool in order to get approved to go into the ocean. Iím a little nervous to do that, since my surgery wasnít that long ago and Iíd hate to mess something up. Can anyone let me know if this is true or not?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    On the Scuba...I would check with your eye doctor about getting salt and pool water in your eyes and what that would do with regard to your surgery. Unless you get a reply here from an eye doctor, please call him to get this answered.

As to your question: I'm assuming you're talking about the intro to Scuba not the Scuba for certified divers. If so, you can do the pool swim with goggles if you want...I have...but, I've also done the pool swim by just closing my eyes for the most part as I wear contacts and not had any issues. I don't think this will be a problem. The problem might come on the skill you learn in the class where you flood your mask and then clear out the water. Unless you really close your eyes tight, there's a good chance you'll get water in your eyes. If you are a certified diver and have dived lately, the pool requirements don't apply but you definitely want to know what salt water will do to your eyes as you wouldn't want the surgery to messed up by something as immaterial as loosing your mask on a dive.

ENJOY CSA!

From what I remember from when I got it done, you shouldn't open your eyes under water for at least 3 months. It may be only one, but ask your Dr for sure

Spa employees are exempt from the "no tipping"...same as at all resorts. Spa team at CSA is fabulous and I always tip generously!

The pools are salt water ...FYI.