Default Price Rises - So Sad

I regularly go to my Travel Agents site to check prices for Couples. Randyman had a thread about the price of the One Bedroom beachfront at CSS.
    Unfortunately for me in August and September the UK site was offering a free upgrade to them, made a big difference to the price. But because my husband and I are approaching retirement and really have no idea when we will stop working we always say we will be back to Couples “Health and Wealth” so we don’t book holidays as much in advance as we used to, a few years back I would have jumped at the offer.
    We love CSS and stayed at a Beachfront in July and funnily enough found them perfect for us both with arthritis.
    Well just looked again and the price has gone up a lot over £1K way over the budget now. Well that will teach me. But it means no Couples for us next year and possibly never again. Lesson learned. See it BOOK IT!!

I'm sorry to hear that. I feel for you. Couples is the only resort that we have booked in advance. Its probably becasue its the only resort that we always want to go back too. Hopefully someone else will take your advice. My wish for you is that a great Wednesday special will come along. WE have booked this way a few times now. Good luck.

Patty, there is a really good Secret Rendevous special out there right now - it's just $300 US a night. See if you can check it out.

A similar story of warning: We booked in early April for our November honeymoon trip to CSS - my new husband (married in February 2012) had a severe stroke in May, in the hospital for a month. We kept the reseveration, and it's been a major goal for his recovery. We know there are a lot of stairs at CSS, and he has had to learn to walk again, so we will take our time getting around. He is working hard and recovering remarkably well - he "graduates" from physical therapy tomorrow - but it's been quite a life lesson for us. DO NOT EVER WAIT. Life will pass you by in a blink of an eye if you're not careful. And there is never a promise of a tomorrow.

Back to topic, I have regularly checked prices since we have booked and I think we hit a lucky day because it hasn't been even close to the price we booked at since then. We certainly couldn't afford it at current prices. And current circumstances....

Hope you can get back to Couples someday Patty! We cannot wait to go enjoy our Beachfront Suite in 44 sleeps!

Just looked on the Couples Uk site and they still have the free upgrade to a Beachfront on till end October. Very interesting i will have to do some sums, so we may be back!!!

We have always booked about 6 months in advance, (we have been to CTI 16 times) and this year are unable to go in December because of the price rises, have started looking for June next year already and cant believe how much the prices have gone up, I cant see us being able to return.

Forgot to post that we are also from the UK, and we dont get the Wednesday specials!!!

We feel your pain, because we are fully retired now and realize that Couples has priced themselves way out of our budget. Even when we both worked full-time it was a stretch to spend up to $5000 (with airfare) for a 10 day vacation (albeit in Paradise!) Now, there's no way. Which makes me so very sad...we love, love, love Couples, the staff, the experience and the friends made there. We did a quick trip for 4 nights last Dec., after cancelling our year in advance rez and it just wasn't enough with a lot of hassle on the travel end.

I do keep watching the Wed. Specials, but honestly, the airfare is so unpredictable, that even those temptations are off-limits. Sigh...But I wish our Couples family all the best enjoyment they can ever have.

However, as Dave just reminded me, there is a price to pay for staying at "our" resort...our small lake home in NW WI. Now, if I can just get that AN thing going...

Can you do the Love Away Plan? My husband and I booked an October 2013 getaway in February 2012. We have been paying $100/month and will pretty much have it paid off by the time the vacation gets here. We don't miss the $100 each month. Give it a try. You only live once, right?

Margi, thanks for the suggestion. We have done the Love-A-Way plan for a couple years. Bottom line, is the bottom line is still too expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Margi View Post
    Can you do the Love Away Plan? My husband and I booked an October 2013 getaway in February 2012. We have been paying $100/month and will pretty much have it paid off by the time the vacation gets here. We don't miss the $100 each month. Give it a try. You only live once, right?
    Did that this time around. Will probably use the Love Away Plan from now on. Quite painless at $100 a month. Just need to watch for good flight prices(ya, right).
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

I agree it is so very hard to get the money together. But what makes it even worst is the airfare. Now that Air Jamaica has stopped flying out of Philly the only other direct airline is USAir which charges for baggage & last year for confirmed seats. The price right now for next June/July 2013 is over $1,000 not counting the baggage & seats.
    Dianavr

Sadly I think we are priced out of trip #4 next year

@dianavr if the prices you are getting for Philly are really that high they you need to simply drive down to Baltimore. We regularly get air on Air Tran for $375.00 - $450.00 RT PP. They only release their tickets about 6 months prior to departure though. We fly in April and August and track the prices just about daily. They remain pretty consistent in this time period.

It might be an extra 90 minute drive but the savings is worth it. Though I have been able to find Philly prices comparable if not less out of Philly. We just like BWI better.

racegrrrl - may your hubby return to health quickly and may the two of you have an awesome vacation in paradise...and don't forget the shuttle busses!!

Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by racegrrl View Post
    Patty, there is a really good Secret Rendevous special out there right now - it's just $300 US a night. See if you can check it out.

A similar story of warning: We booked in early April for our November honeymoon trip to CSS - my new husband (married in February 2012) had a severe stroke in May, in the hospital for a month. We kept the reseveration, and it's been a major goal for his recovery. We know there are a lot of stairs at CSS, and he has had to learn to walk again, so we will take our time getting around. He is working hard and recovering remarkably well - he "graduates" from physical therapy tomorrow - but it's been quite a life lesson for us. DO NOT EVER WAIT. Life will pass you by in a blink of an eye if you're not careful. And there is never a promise of a tomorrow.

Back to topic, I have regularly checked prices since we have booked and I think we hit a lucky day because it hasn't been even close to the price we booked at since then. We certainly couldn't afford it at current prices. And current circumstances....

Hope you can get back to Couples someday Patty! We cannot wait to go enjoy our Beachfront Suite in 44 sleeps!
    racegrrl bring up a great point. One never knows what life has to offer. We have not been to Couples for a couple years. One of the reasons was money. Well my husband had a heart attack in June and I made the decision right then and there that we were not wasting any more time. We are booked for our anniversary next June to celebrate not only our anniversary but also our good (now) health.
    To me the cost will always to be worth it to have that wonderful time with my beloved husband.

And dianvr is correct the air prices are ridiculous.

Cathy & gonegril, thanks for the kind comments. Our time at Couples cannot come soon enough! And we are already planning a trip in December to visit friends in Florida too, because life is too short and it's just money! LOL. Enjoy your time with your loved ones...we make every day count now.

Hi Patty,
    If you like to email me at notley.john@yahoo.co.uk I will provide you with details of a travel agent (fully bonded) who does some amazing deals on Couples Resorts.