Default cell phone/wi-fi

I am not a real techie....I just updated to a verizon phone that allows me to text. Will I be able to text from Jamaica to the US without issues?

No issue until you get your bill. Check with cell carrier about rates.

Check with Verizon but I think you will experience some significant fees for international text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Motter View Post
    I am not a real techie....I just updated to a verizon phone that allows me to text. Will I be able to text from Jamaica to the US without issues?
    Turn off data roaming, and then when you get to the resort turn on wifi, you can text, facebook, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt and Angie View Post
    Check with Verizon but I think you will experience some significant fees for international text messages.
    I contacted Verizon Wireless just the other day to find out the rates from Jamaica to the U.S..
    They told me that calling will cost $1.99/minute
    They warned me that sending a picture text would cost $28.00 per text.
    I can't find my notes from the call and don't remember exactly how much it is per text.
    However, I DO remember thinking that I will not be doing any texting from there, so I'm guessing it is expensive.
    They also said that if any texts should happen to be sent TO your cell phone while you're there, it is also pricey.
    I think I will just leave my cell phone turned off while there. Giving all at home the Resort's phone number in case of emergencies is what we usually do.
    Have a great vacation!!!

If you have a smart phone, get a Skype account. We put $10 on the Skype account and have used it for 3 stays/22 days. My wife calls her dad every day, I make a handfull of calls. We still have $6.77 of Skype credit. Quality is not as good as regular telephone, but you can call on the cheap!

Since they have wifi I thought I could email from my smart phone (Verizon) but ended up with a BIG roaming charge. I don't recall exactly how much it was but BIG. I was told to turn off roaming by putting the phone in Airplane mode and then email next time. Don't know about text.

SMS and MMS use the cell network, and normally won't go through wifi. There are exceptions such as imessage, Apple's texting app that will work through wifi, but only iphone to iphone. Best thing to do is make sure your cell phone radio is turned off which is "airplane mode" and then re-enable wifi and use email.

Since we are now serial repeaters, and travel a bit, we now have a cheap unlocked quad-band phone, and just buy a SIM card when we get to wherever we're going. BUT that is a whole other thread.

I do agree with the others. If you allow your cell phone radio to be in use while in Jamaica, expect to be very sad when your next bill comes.