Default I am not a foodie......

Hello my husband and I are heading to Couples Swept Away in 17 days.....WOOHOO!! We have never been and are looking forward to some rest and relaxation. I was scoping out the restaurants on the property and I pulled up some of the menus and I got a bit nervous. I haven't heard of and don't eat most of the things on the menu. I basically have the pallet of a 13 year old. My fav foods include pizza, cheeseburgers, chicken strips, Cesar Salad, and casseroles. I am open to try these adventurous foods but are there some "friendly" foods for people like me? Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funnyfruit View Post
    Hello my husband and I are heading to Couples Swept Away in 17 days.....WOOHOO!! We have never been and are looking forward to some rest and relaxation. I was scoping out the restaurants on the property and I pulled up some of the menus and I got a bit nervous. I haven't heard of and don't eat most of the things on the menu. I basically have the pallet of a 13 year old. My fav foods include pizza, cheeseburgers, chicken strips, Cesar Salad, and casseroles. I am open to try these adventurous foods but are there some "friendly" foods for people like me? Help!!!
    First, all the restaurants post their menus each day so you can see what looks most appealing to you. Second, most of the things you mentioned are available at the cabana grill. So even if you start a meal somewhere else and dont like it, you can head over to the grill and get a burger.

I do however think each place offers some basic items. For example each night the palms has a great salad and pasta bar. Patios has all kinds of pizza, and i am sure they would be willing to adjust toppings to make it the way you like.

And who knows, you may be having such a great time you get a little adventurous and try some things you wouldnt usually have. Please try jerk chicken and sweet potato chips.

Have fun

Yes no worries there is plenty of "American" food, but please do try the different things it is so good. I really could not name one thing I had that was horrible, a few things I could have gone without trying, but 95% of the things that I never had before were amazing. The fruits and veggies are great and I could have made meals of just them. Ohh and if you get something you dont like dont eat it order something else, it is all about you when you are there and Couples does everything they can to make it perfect for YOU. How they manage to do that for everybody there I dont know but they sure do.

No worries Mon....my husband is the same way except he is not open to trying different foods so I was nervous because he gets really cranky if he is hungry...LOL The Cabanna grill specialized in hot dogs, hamburgers, and beef patties which is like a fried ground beef pie, nachos, and french fries and they have jerk chicken. If they are still doing the roof (which I doubt because we were there in Aug.) you can order inside Patois. I dont know where your room is but if you want to take food back and eat on your veranda just tell them and they will make it to go we did this alot just to enjoy the time alone. We ate here almost every lunch and dinner and if I wanted something different we would get his food there and then I would go down to Palms because they have a buffet which has some really good food but nothing he eats. Enjoy your trip it is going to be more than you are even can dream of.

Order anything and everything that appeals to you!!! You can get Americanized foods at the Palms at all meals, Pizza at all meals at Patois and the Beach Grill will have your burgers, onion rings, chickeen, etc. My wife and I are NOT seafood eaters but "when in Rome" we do try several entrees of seafood and they are usually very good! Remember that you have "already" paid for it so give it a try, there is no place better, in my opinion, to give it a try!

No worries, you will be happy. There is very americanized versions of foods at most restaurants. Cabana grill will have lunch for you every day, heck you can get a burger every day for lunch. I am sure you can also find something on the buffet at palms.

Make sure you at least do a little when in Rome. Go to Patois for dinner some night, it is really good, you will find something you like. If not, you can go to Cabana after for a snack if you are still hungry.

Don't worry...there is plenty regular stuff. Eat what ever you like (but I do often proclaim what a pleasure it is to have been born liking just about everything! nom nom nom! )

Have no fear at all about your food choices. I am pretty limited in what I eat as well....since I do not like any fish and not much seafood. You will find the best steaks EVER at CSA, some of the most delicious chicken dishes ever made and the Jerk chicken and pork is just to die for.

Then you have the curried dishes......YUMMY!

Just try a bit of everything. If you see 2 or more entrees and you cannot decide just ask for a small portion of each! My waitress one evening made that suggestion when I could not decide between 2 dishes. That is how I ordered the rest of the time I was there. Couples will do anything to make you happy.

Yes, there is such a variety of foods you won't be disappointed, but my advice is to try some new things, you never know what might taste good to you. Variety is the spice of life after all

Couples is kind of like Alice's Restaurant - You can get anything you want - including pizza, cheeseburgers, salads, and casseroles. Breakfast buffets include all the American favorites. Try the beef patties at the beach grill. They're like a spicy beef turnover. Try a jerk burger too. Supper buffets usually include chicken, beef, pork, shrimp and lots of other seafood and fish.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

There will be plenty of familiar options for you. Patois has fabulous pizzas for dinner. The Palms has a pasta bar at night, along with a great salad bar. The breakfast buffet at the Palms has all the standard choices (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, omlettes, fruit, breads) plus a few Jamaican specialties (ackee and saltfish -yum!) if you feel adventurous. Besides, an all-inclusive is the exact type of place where you can expand your taste pallette. Order something new, if you don't like it, order something else! You can try as many different entrees as you want. And you DO like lobster, don't you? Nothing like lobster night on Saturdays. Of course, Cabana Grill has burgers, fries, and onion rings, but don't pass up the snapper sandwich or the jerk chicken. Again, if you don't like it, try something else. You will not go hungry, I promise you.

I can almost guarantee that if you at least a tiny bit adventurous (come on, it's vacation!!) you will love most everything offered! Yes, even if it's out of your comfort zone

You should be okay at breakfast and lunch...The Palms has a breakfast buffet with eggs, omelettes, pastries, bacon, sausage, french toast, fruit, etc...they have some local things, but it's mostly an American breakfast buffet...if I remember right, the lunch buffet also has deli meats, cheeses, breads, salad and potato/pasta salads...Patois Patio has a stuffed french toast that is AMAZING, and they have some light options for lunch...they have small pizzas, you could probably just get cheese on them. Remember, you can ask for anything while you're there, they'll make things how you want them, and don't forget that you can order as many times as you want.

But I would really recommend trying some new foods while you're there! The food was one of my favorite parts!
    Danielle & Mike
    ----> Honeymooned at CSA June '11!
    --------> Really can't wait to be "home" again!

The Beach Grill would be perfect for you. It has burgers, fries, nachos, etc. Breakfast is great and you should go and try both Patois (menu) and The Palms (buffet). Lots of run of the mill choices. Get adventurous and try the sweet potato chips and dip at Seagrapes. There is so much great food. Try things. You may never know what you will like. Enjoy. CSA rocks!

The grill has that kind of stuff.

You should have no problem finding food you like anywhere.

PATOIS The pizzas at Patois are AWESOME

THE PALMS has a pasta buffet at night and you can have it as plain or as fancy as you'd like, and at lunch there is generally chicken salad or cold cuts or a giant roast beef that they carve for you

FEATHERS has awesome steaks and generally some kind of roasted chicken

CABANA GRILL has fries, onion rings and burgers as well as make-your-own nachos with hot cheese whiz. If you're a ketchup purist, though, you may want to bring your own, as the ketchup in Jamaica is FABULOUS, but it is different than what we have in the US.

SEAGRAPES has great fruit plates and nice salads

Really, every restaurant will have something for probably the most selective of palates, and if you find something on the menu that has a sauce that you don't want, just let the server know, and they'll make it without the sauce.

But really, the thing I love the MOST about dining anywhere at CSA is that you can always ask the server to bring you "just a bite" of whatever menu item you'd like to try, and they really will bring you "just a bite" to try....I'd strongly recommend you do this at least a few times. That way, you can just take a tiny taste of that little bite, and if you don't like it, you won't have wasted an entire serving, but if you DO like it, well what a great experience!!

Please do yourself the great favor of not missing out on any food item that has even a little bit of allure - this is the best place to give something new a whirl!!

Enjoy!!

read the descriptions on the menu, and try new things. who knows, you may find something new that you love.

Pizza & burgers etc are all available, but pleeeeaaaase open your mind & be a bit more adventurous!!
    Try things on the menu that you've never tried before...How do you know that you don't like them, till you try?.....You never know, you might like them!
    The buffets are the perfect opportunity to try different foods, as you only have to take a little, then if you like it, you can go back for more!!
    Give it a go.......You might then realise what you've been missing!!

Always try the soup. Always. No matter what it sounds like. They have a way with soups, and they are almost always spectacular.

Funnyfruit, I am not one that experiments with what I eat, but I assure you you can get pizza and burgers so you won't die of hunger. There are also lots of food you will recognize that will be on the buffet bar. In addition to everything else you can order off the menu, (Now, don't tell anyone else this secret) the pasta lady will become your best friend. I've been to CSA multiple times, and never realized until 3 trips ago she will let you mess with her sauce. I was standing there one night just totally torn between ordering her red sauce or her white sauce. Someone came up and asked her to MIX the white and red, so I tried it as well. KILLER GOOD! Just keep that under your hat though, I don't want everybody trying it that way.

The Pasta Lady is called Miss Rose, and she is a classic: a hardworking, non-showy lady who is (IMHO ) part of the backbone of CSA. Show her some respect and she will make you just want you want, no matter how restricted your taste. Show her no respect ( and shame on the very occasional guest with no manners ) and she will do it anyway because she is a real pro.

Miss Rose is really quietly impressive.

My husband and I loooove good food, but wouldn't say we have overly adventurous taste buds. I do more so than him and we loved the food. You can get a great steak at Feathers, wonderful burgers, chicken and nachos at the Grille, a great veggie parm sandwich at Seagrapes, and a veriety of different foods at The Palms (I love the breakfast buffet). I would also recommend trying the soups - they are always good and trying the sweet potato chips at Seagrapes! OH! They also had Jerk Pork Pizza at Patois is awesome!

Since it's an all inclusive - dare to be adventurous - worst case scenario is that you don't like it and you ask for something else. OR better yet - order two entrees at the same time just in case! I found so many things I loved that I didn't think I would.