Default past guests of San Souci...HELP

I am trying to find out about:

excursions such as horseback riding - opinions?

night snorkeling - can you really see under water - is it worth it versus daytime snorkeling?

is there really only one shopping trip per week? it falls on the day we leave...day #6

are all pools/beach topless? I thought there was a designated AN beach only? don't care but would like to not be surprised when my neighbor takes off her top

is bottled water provided?

is there an excursion where you can swim in the caves?

do you all recommend booking these excursions before we get there?

I can't seem to get anyone to reply to my emails at the resort...ugh.

And....did I forget to mention...I'm soooo dang excited!!!

Trs1671 - I cant answer all your questions but would hate you to feel ignored!!!

There is the dedicated AN beach (sunset beach) and a clothed beach - totally separate
    No bottled water from memory - but plenty if cocktails! I had a water bottle I filled every day for aeorbics etc
    Excursions that are not included in the coupkes resort I would book before you go so that you can plan your vacation.

Have a great time it is a really romantic resort - so beautiful - great memories.

Can only answer a few and some are based on comments from other guests.

I believe you can set up horseback riding though guest services. This is a not a Couples activity so you will have to pay for it. We haven't done it as we felt the temperature was too warm to ride.
    The night snorkeling (at CN) is really good. There are a lot more fish out at night than during the day. Visibility is limited but you can see.
    Topless is NOT permitted at the pools. The main beach is topless but the number of topless people will very. Typically not very many. There is an Au Natural area at CSS called Sunset Beach. That is totally nude and it has both a beach and a pool.
    I don't recall bottled water being available. We take "Polar" water bottles and fill them with ice and water.

That's all I got. Hope it helps.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013 and 2015
    CSS 2014

I'll answer what I can.

Didn't know they did night snorkeling, but if they do, without artificial lighting you wouldn't see much.

Shopping trips occurred several days of the week we were there (Early September).

There is one naked pool/beach/swim-up bar/grill at Sunset Beach. It is not clothing optional, but is "no clothing allowed", though clothed people can go over there after 5:00 or so in the afternoon to watch the sunset. All other pools are "suits required." On the main beach topless is permitted, but to be honest, I never saw any topless women when we were there. After being on the naked side, it just seemed a little strange to go topless for my wife....no body cares if you're naked on the naked side, but on the clothing side, she would never take off her top, even though it was permitted. She said if felt like everyone would be staring.

Bottled water is provided in your room minibar, and all the bars have bottles of water if you need them. The water there is fine to drink, and whereas we had our share of bottled water, we had no problem drinking ice tap water between drinks at the bars and restarrants.

Most folks booked their excursions once they arrived at the resort. They have a person there that does that for you, and can answer all your questions.

Unless you need something specific about your stay/reservation, you can pretty much find all your questions answered on these message boards. You can always call the resort directly if you need to.

And finally, you should be excited, the place is awesome.

Default Responses to your questions

Here are my answers to the questions you posed which I am qualified to answer:

IS IT WORTH IT TO GO NIGHT SNORKELING?

I've never paid to go night snorkeling, but I have friends who did and they weren't very impressed. They said it was not worth the money.

ARE ALL POOLS/BEACHES TOPLESS?

The main beach is where you can go topless. You must have a top on at the pool (if you are a woman). At SSB, which is the A/N beach, all parties must be topless and bottomless (aka nude).

DO YOU RECOMMEND BOOKING THESE EXCURSIONS BEFORE WE GET THERE?

I don't even know if you can book any excursions before you get there, but I would recommend not doing so. Once you are there you might find that the sand gravity has taken control of your body and the only thing you want to do is lie on the beach and gaze out at the beautiful ocean. I suggest you wait to book any excursion until you are actually at the resort. You'll never know how you'll feel and how energetic you'll be once you get there. Also, the resort has so many complimentary activities offered every day that you may not feel the need to venture off the resort to do extracurricular activities. I always plan to do a lot of activities before I get to the resort, but once there we end up doing only about 1/4 of what I had planned.

Wow... So in order..
    Never heard of one
    Huh?? Snorkelling at night??? Never heard of it.
    Two days a week...
    I have only seen one topless woman in my many trips to CSS on the main beach.
    Yes
    Don'tknow
    No
    If it is important... call. Otherwise... relax mon!

Hi we have been to CSA, CTI and CSS. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1. As far as I know there wasn't any horseback riding in Ocho Rios. But there is by locals in negril (CN & CSA) at an extra cost. Public beach

2. Night snorkeling was offered while at CSA and luckily a couple we talked to had just done it and and didn't recommend it. Apparently they didn't like it.

3. shopping trip was very disappointing for me, you are taken to a duty free area and left for a about an hour 1/2. You aren't buying from Jamaicans and it's all knock off stuff. I personally like buying from the locals. San souci has vendors they allow on the resort and it's way better than getting harassed daily on a public beach.

4. San souci has a main beach and pool area that is a clothing side and a separate au natural side with beach and pool / bar. Both are great and I would recommend either depending on what you prefer.

5. We haven't been to San souci since October 2012 and I really can't remember about bottled water. CTI gives a water bottle and had ice and water readily available. We never had a problem getting water or anything for that matter at any couples resort.

6. There weren't any cave swimming expeditions at CSS or CTI but a cataraman cruise at CSA did take us to the cliff side by push cart and we swam thru a horseshoe shaped cave there. CTI has a cataraman cruise but CSS didn't.

We are going back to CSS in October 2014 and can't wait!! We never have booked any excursions in advanced and haven't regretted it yet. The resort is very accommodating about anything and everything. This will be our 5th trip to Jamaica (4th with Couples) and we hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Awesome people and one of the best resort chains ever!

Horse-riding - we arranged this via one of the leaflets on the Guest desk. I think it was with Chukka Caribbean Adventures. We went to a plantation house and had a little tour before the horse-riding on the beach. Great fun.

Night-snorkeling- did not do
    Shopping trip - we thought it was a waste of time. Took us to the little tourist mall used by the cruise ships. Over-priced t-shirt and coffee shops etc. Would not do this again. Buy your stuff at the airport.

Topless- do not think anywhere is topless, except maybe your own balcony of room, if private. The AN beach is strictly AN. The main pool and beach are for swimsuits.

Bottled water- do not recall any but lots of water coolers in different locations so never was a problem. Filtered water chilled at meals or from the bar.

Do not recall a cave swimming excursion there. thought that was only CN ( where we are going next year, yippee ).

I also found it difficult to get replies from the resort, which was a pain when we were organising our wedding there. But as for pre-booking, no pressure at all. Plenty of time to get there and settle in and then decide.
    Enjoy !!

1. Never been
    2. been night scuba diving - need at least 4 to go and there is a charge of $50 per person assume night snorkeling is similar
    3. Why bother? They have some vendors at the resort and there is plenty of shopping at the airport
    4. Pools are not topless, beach it always depends on who is there but I have not seen it very often
    5. yes
    6. Have been to one in Negril but never Ochi
    7. No you can book there and you may get there and just want to chill

Amy

We were going to wait in hopes to get some clothes there rather than pack, hoping to get some local stuff...do they sell clothes there like sundresses, etc? What type of vendors are at CSS? Thanks for all your help!!

QUOTE=robnamy;253052]Hi we have been to CSA, CTI and CSS. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1. As far as I know there wasn't any horseback riding in Ocho Rios. But there is by locals in negril (CN & CSA) at an extra cost. Public beach

2. Night snorkeling was offered while at CSA and luckily a couple we talked to had just done it and and didn't recommend it. Apparently they didn't like it.

3. shopping trip was very disappointing for me, you are taken to a duty free area and left for a about an hour 1/2. You aren't buying from Jamaicans and it's all knock off stuff. I personally like buying from the locals. San souci has vendors they allow on the resort and it's way better than getting harassed daily on a public beach.

4. San souci has a main beach and pool area that is a clothing side and a separate au natural side with beach and pool / bar. Both are great and I would recommend either depending on what you prefer.

5. We haven't been to San souci since October 2012 and I really can't remember about bottled water. CTI gives a water bottle and had ice and water readily available. We never had a problem getting water or anything for that matter at any couples resort.

6. There weren't any cave swimming expeditions at CSS or CTI but a cataraman cruise at CSA did take us to the cliff side by push cart and we swam thru a horseshoe shaped cave there. CTI has a cataraman cruise but CSS didn't.

We are going back to CSS in October 2014 and can't wait!! We never have booked any excursions in advanced and haven't regretted it yet. The resort is very accommodating about anything and everything. This will be our 5th trip to Jamaica (4th with Couples) and we hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Awesome people and one of the best resort chains ever![/QUOTE]

excursions such as horseback riding - opinions? Horseback riding is provided at some Couples but not CSS. You can prob book one easily at excursion desk but those I know who have done this in the Caribbean said it was hot and ouchy b/c of the legs rubbing.

night snorkeling - can you really see under water - is it worth it versus daytime snorkeling? I've heard good and bad things, but not experienced myself.

is there really only one shopping trip per week? it falls on the day we leave...day #6 Shopping trips are Tuesday and Wednesday, departs at 3pm. You need to schedule with front desk ahead though.

are all pools/beach topless? I thought there was a designated AN beach only? don't care but would like to not be surprised when my neighbor takes off her top

is bottled water provided? Pools no. Main beach yes, rarely will it happen. Yes there is an AN clothing prohibited beach and pool separate.

is there an excursion where you can swim in the caves? When you arrive, check with excursions desk, they can help you set up.

do you all recommend booking these excursions before we get there? If you'd like to pick your own trips and handle it all, yes. If you'd like to let the excursions desk handle for you, you can book when you get there, no problem.

Hope this helps! Have a great time, its an awesome place. We are already booked to return!

We night snorkeled last year and loved it! THey give you nice underwater bright lights and you see things you would not during the day.

Best part was when it was over and being in the water looking at the enourmous star filled sky! It was amazing. Sometimes its the unpredicatable nature that provides lifes greatest moments.

What kind of stuff do the vendors at san souci sell, such as clothes?

We were there mid-August and can't wait to return!

Horseback riding - we scheduled ours at the excursion desk at SanSouci. We did a horseback ride in the ocean (Hooves). Our guides were wonderful! We consider it one of the highlights of our trip.

At the time we were there shopping trips were available on 2 days (Tues & Wed) I believe. This was our first trip there & we wanted to get souvenirs, etc for family; however, honestly, there was nothing there that we couldn't have purchased at the airport on the way out. It was mostly jewelry and a lot of souvenir stuff...nothing much that was actually authentic Jamaican. The night of the gala (Friday) there will be vendors on the property selling some wonderful authentic Jamaican things. Remember, they expect you to barter! Be sure and save some $ to purchase rum cream on your way out at the airport!

We did not venture over to Sunset Beach except for photos at sunset one night (we were the only people there) and we saw no one topless or AN on the resort.

Yes to bottled water!

We booked our excursions on arrival. One tip we got from these boards is that if you are planning to do Dunns Rivers Falls do it Sunday because the cruise ships aren't usually in port.

I never tried to email the resort but did the online chat to ask questions without any trouble.

Lastly, if you never leave San Souci you will still have a wonderful time! We can't wait to go back! Tell JodiAnn, in entertainment Gary & Teri say hello!

Default clothes

we were hoping to just buy clothes, i.e. sundress/shorts/tops when we get there...do they sell this stuff at the airport? we are plus size also keep in mind; thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gary&teri View Post
    We were there mid-August and can't wait to return!

Horseback riding - we scheduled ours at the excursion desk at SanSouci. We did a horseback ride in the ocean (Hooves). Our guides were wonderful! We consider it one of the highlights of our trip.

At the time we were there shopping trips were available on 2 days (Tues & Wed) I believe. This was our first trip there & we wanted to get souvenirs, etc for family; however, honestly, there was nothing there that we couldn't have purchased at the airport on the way out. It was mostly jewelry and a lot of souvenir stuff...nothing much that was actually authentic Jamaican. The night of the gala (Friday) there will be vendors on the property selling some wonderful authentic Jamaican things. Remember, they expect you to barter! Be sure and save some $ to purchase rum cream on your way out at the airport!

We did not venture over to Sunset Beach except for photos at sunset one night (we were the only people there) and we saw no one topless or AN on the resort.

Yes to bottled water!

We booked our excursions on arrival. One tip we got from these boards is that if you are planning to do Dunns Rivers Falls do it Sunday because the cruise ships aren't usually in port.

I never tried to email the resort but did the online chat to ask questions without any trouble.

Lastly, if you never leave San Souci you will still have a wonderful time! We can't wait to go back! Tell JodiAnn, in entertainment Gary & Teri say hello!

I think I saw mostly t-shirts at the airport. The shop at SanSouci has shorts, tshirts, & sun dresses but I don't know about sizing and I doubt there is anything appropriate for a man to wear to dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by gary&teri View Post
    I think I saw mostly t-shirts at the airport. The shop at SanSouci has shorts, tshirts, & sun dresses but I don't know about sizing and I doubt there is anything appropriate for a man to wear to dinner.
    Can you help me understand what is appropriate for men to wear to dinner for both the fancier and non-fancy restaurants please? thanks so much!

Casanova the fancy restaurant requires for men long trousers, short sleeve button shirt, and closed shoes. No tank tops or T Shirts allowed.Pallazina nice shorts or long trousers with nice shoes,Bella Vista you can wear shorts and T-shirts and sandals
    Yam'on
    CSS 2012
    CSS 2013
    CSS 2014
    CSS 2015 soon come

We also booked Hooves at the tour desk and it was a great excursion. We rode through an old sugar plantation, down to the beach, then into the ocean, had a snack on the beach and rode back. They provided transportation.
    Topless on the beach is ok and we've seen a few, not at the pools (except the AN pool!)

Quote Originally Posted by trs1671 View Post
    What kind of stuff do the vendors at san souci sell, such as clothes?
    They had handmade items, hats, bags, hair braiding, etc.

We just went to CSS for the first time this past May for our honeymoon! You will LOVE your trip! I will answer what I can:

I am trying to find out about:

excursions such as horseback riding - opinions?
    Didn't do

night snorkeling - can you really see under water - is it worth it versus daytime snorkeling?
    didn't do

is there really only one shopping trip per week? it falls on the day we leave...day #6
    didn't do. although some friends we met there went off on their own to shop (I wouldn't recommend) they were on their like 14th trip there so they were more comfortable

there is a separate beach where clothing is prohibited. I think the main beach is TOPLESS, we did see one topless woman there. I guess most figure if you're gonna go topless, might as well go AN and head to the other beach.

is bottled water provided?
    yes. I took my own Tervis cup and got them to fill it with ice and bot bottled WATA.

is there an excursion where you can swim in the caves?
    I think that is Negril, unless there is something I don't know about.

do you all recommend booking these excursions before we get there?
    you can do all that once you arrive, the things that the resort provides. They had a booking station to help with off shore excursions.

I can't seem to get anyone to reply to my emails at the resort...ugh.

And....did I forget to mention...I'm soooo dang excited!!!