Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default CSA Dive/Snorkeling Question

    My wife and I will be at CSA on Nov 1st. We are trying to plan our activities and would like to know when the Dive Trips occur and how long are they? Also, when do the snorkeling trips go out?

    Thanks!

    Johnie
    11 days and counting.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Johnie,
    There is a deep dive in the morning leaving around 8:30/9:00ish. The shallow dives are in the PM around 1:00ish. On Saturday's they do only a 2-tank dive in the morning. Total bottom times are usually between 35-45 minutes. Overall single-tank trips usually take 1:15-1:30 hours. Sorry, I can't answer your question about the snorkeling trips. Enjoy your time at CSA!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    The snorkeling trips from CSA typically leave at 11:00, 1:30 and 3:00, although that is during high season, and there may be fewer trips in low season. You can sign up for snorkeling the day prior. The mornings tend to have the smoothest water as sometimes the winds pick up in the afternoon. That also means that the afternoons have the highest likelihood of being cancelled due to bad weather.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Two per day at 8:30 and 1. The new boat is amazing!! The team is super and we had so much fun. They also will take you out lionfish "hunting" with a spear after the morning dive for $25 dollars. That was really, really fun! Also night dives are available if 4 or more sign up. We had a blast with these guys! I do not know about snorkeling.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    205

    Default

    oops! Forgot to say most dive trips go up when the first person gets to 1000 psi. All go up together. Seemed like 35-40 minutes

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    242

    Default

    First dive is about 9:00 and you are back by 11:00 at the latest. Second dive is 1:00 or 1:30 and you are back by 3:00 or so. I have had time to snorkel with my wife between the dives (I think that the snorkel trip leaves about 11 or 11:30).

    Check out the activities schedule - pretty accurate: http://couples.com/swept-away/activities-schedule.pdf

    Enjoy the trip.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Couples Swept Away Dive Club has a facebook page you can ask questions directly and see photos to get you excited!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaityogill View Post
    ...They also will take you out lionfish "hunting" with a spear after the morning dive for $25 dollars. That was really, really fun! ....
    Kaityogill - that sounds great. I have been diving at Couples before (CN & CSA) and watched the DMs spear many a lionfish but have never been offered the weapon myself. I would love to do this. Is this something new? What resort did you do this at? We are headed to CTI and CSS in December - only 40 more days! Thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Awesome! Thanks for the schedule!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallman2nd View Post
    Kaityogill - that sounds great. I have been diving at Couples before (CN & CSA) and watched the DMs spear many a lionfish but have never been offered the weapon myself. I would love to do this. Is this something new? What resort did you do this at? We are headed to CTI and CSS in December - only 40 more days! Thanks.
    We're at CSA now and it is offered here but I'm not sure about the other resorts. One of the guys on our dive Monday did it and got 4 or 5 Lionfish. It wasn't offered last year when we were here in October but this year it's listed as an option on the board at the scuba hut.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Dahammer -- thanks for the information. Hopefully all of the boards have this option! And hope the surf settles for you and you can get in some dives.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Is the Lionfish hunting done while snorkeling or only scuba? My husband would live that but isnt a diver.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Just on the dives.

  14. #14

    Default

    I'm not sure about Jamaica, but in Mexico there is a bounty on Lion fish. If that is the case you would think that they would take you out for free. I think it was $20 or $25 for each one you speared.
    Jamaica Us Happy
    Jason & Ann

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Jstone1973, we are from Iowa! Quad cities!
    We went lionfish hunting while at CSA only. We went out after the morning dives. It was $25 per person and well worth it! Brian said he was working on getting it to qualify as a PADI specialty which would be super cool! We split our stay with CN and the spear fishing was not offered at CN. They are not expecting you to spear them and have no fear so you can get close. If you miss, boy, can they disappear fast! You have to get it right the first time! Really fun!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Only diving. I don't think you could get close enough or deep enough snorkling

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Hey photo, I too once wasn't a diver. Swept Away offers the included resort dive lessons. What a perfect time to " take the plunge". I think I hear opportunity a knocking.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaityogill View Post
    Jstone1973, we are from Iowa! Quad cities!
    We went lionfish hunting while at CSA only. We went out after the morning dives. It was $25 per person and well worth it! Brian said he was working on getting it to qualify as a PADI specialty which would be super cool! We split our stay with CN and the spear fishing was not offered at CN. They are not expecting you to spear them and have no fear so you can get close. If you miss, boy, can they disappear fast! You have to get it right the first time! Really fun!
    Bummer!! My wife and I will be at CN June of next year. That sounds really cool. I know they are a major nuisance to the area as they kill a lot of other fish, but it would be fun to hunt them. We are from Marion, but we will be flying out of the Quad Cities. Can't wait.
    My wife will be getting her OW and I will be going for AOW. Richard was great before. Hope to get him again!!
    Jamaica Us Happy
    Jason & Ann

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •