Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What's everybody reading this summer?

Thought I's start a "good book" thread. So, what's everyone reading this summer? On the plane, on the beach, or just at the house. Give us a thumbs up or a thumbs down, it just might give some of us some ideas.

Me, personally, I plan on purchasing the Ted Kennedy memoir when it comes out on the 14th.

Let them book reviews flow!!!!

John

The last Song, Nicholas Sparks

Just got done reading "The Shack" WONDERFUL BOOK!!!

Read, Swimsuit, 8th Confession, those are the most recent ones....I LOVE TO READ!!!!!!!!!
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Bkhiattky View Post
    Just got done reading "The Shack" WONDERFUL BOOK!!!

Read, Swimsuit, 8th Confession, those are the most recent ones....I LOVE TO READ!!!!!!!!!
    I too, read "The Shack" by William P. Young, this year.
    I have to tell everyone that this book is a MUST READ!!!

It's the BEST book I've ever read in my life. I loved it so much, that I bought 15 more on Half.com and Amazon, and passed them on to several people that I love - and told them that when they were finished reading it - to pass it on to someone that they thought would enjoy it...

Everyone that read it, said it was one of the best books they've ever read too!
    "Rescuing one dog will not change the world....
    But for that dog the world will be forever changed"
    God bless the rescue babies!
    http://www.AmericanBrittanyRescue.ORG

I KNEW I liked you Sandra!! I loved that book so much.
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Bkhiattky View Post
    I KNEW I liked you Sandra!! I loved that book so much.
    Thanks Kristen!!! Backatcha!
    "Rescuing one dog will not change the world....
    But for that dog the world will be forever changed"
    God bless the rescue babies!
    http://www.AmericanBrittanyRescue.ORG

Default Books

I love to read but get to do much except on plane rides and vacation. I pack a book for each day of the trip and generally finish them all.

We went away for Labor Day weekend and I read Lisa Scottoline's "Killer Smile", Patricia Cornwell's "Blowfly", "Compulsion" by Jonathan Kellerman and a new Mary Higgins Clark that I cannot recall the title of which I borrowed from the lending library.

I have a pile of Daniel Silva's novels waiting for my next trip, along with a new Greg Iles.

Bliss is reading a book on a lounger at the beach at CSA.

Thoroughly enjoyed an old bestseller, "Eden Burning", an historical novel (of sorts) by Belva Plain. The story unfolds on a Caribean Island. (paperback-448pgs., but an easy read)

Just got together my beach read pile for our upcoming trip.

Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner
    Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
    Something Blue by Emily Giffin
    Playing for Pizza by John Grisham
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (saw it this weekend and had to pick it up looks hilarious)
    Anges and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer

Just finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides very compelling and Possession by AS Byatt which is truly a work of art. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen surprised me I read it for book club and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I am also excited about the new Phillipa Gregory novel The White Queen (loved all the Tudor series books) but I never bring hard backs to the beach so it will have to wait until I get back.

Amy

AAS - there is another Emily Giffin book that goes along with those 2. I cannot remember the name - something Baby... Read all three this summer. All were good.

Dan Brown's (The DaVinci Code) new book comes out tomorrow. I have it preordered and will pick it up tomorrow so I can save it and read it at CSA in November

We're newbies, looking forward to May, 2010 at CSS. Would you believe our reading this summer has been the COUPLES brochure. It is dogearred, bent, crumpled and well-read from cover to cover. Looking foward to 8 months from now.
    Mike & Martha

CSS 2010, 2013, 2014
    CTI 2011
    CN 2012

Reading the "Sookie Stackhouse" books by Catherine Harris. So good. They are what the series "True Blood" is based on.
    Margene

I had pre-ordered Dan Brown's latest book "The Lost Symbol" and am currently waiting for it to arrive...but I think I'm going to wait to read it until I get to Couples at the end of October. Also, the "Twilight" series is a must, if you haven't read those already. They would make a GREAT beach read! I also enjoy the Charlaine Harris series of "Sookie Stackhouse" novels that the HBO show "True Blood" is based on. I'm currently up to Book #5 (out of 9) in that series.
    Irie,
    Heather and Tim

Some of my favorites:
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
    Cloud Atlas by Davis Mitchell
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (anything by him)
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz

My very favorite this summer was my PADI training book I read and studied at CSA in June to earn my scuba diving certification.

I haven't been able to do much reading lately, but I have compiled a list of books for our upcoming trip in October. Most of them are "thriller"-type novels (Scottoline, Baldacci, etc.), but there are three others that I'm looking into:

"A Mighty Long Way" by Corlotta LaNier - a memoir of the youngest of the Little Rock Nine. Heard the review on NPR, and it sounds very interesting.

"A Slobbering Love Affair..." by Bernard Goldberg - political book by the former CBS journalist (and Democrat) who was ostracized when he published an article on media bias in the Wall Street Journal a number of years back.

"A Dance with Dragons" by George R. R. Martin - I don't have high hopes of this being released before our trip, but it's the latest in his series of fantasy novels "A Song of Fire and Ice."

If you have any interest at all in fantasy (or for that matter just in incredible character stories), I highly, highly recommend Martin. His first book is "A Game of Thrones," and the plot deliberately parallels (at least initially) the Wars of the Roses. It's NOT your child's fantasy. It's very brutal, quite graphic but incredibly rich and detailed. Everyone I've managed to talk into giving him a try (the first book is about 1,200 pages), ends up completely hooked.

Eat,Pray,Love is a great vacation read.

The Associate. John Grisham. a must read!

Is The Last Song a new Nicholas Sparks book? I love his books but we probably get them after you here in England.

I started the series of Janet Evanovich's (Stephanie Plum Bounty Hunter) books there are 15 so far, I am on number 4 They are funny and light. Grandma is a riot...

One for the Money
    Two for the Dough
    Three to Get Deadly
    Four to Score
    High Five
    Hot Six
    Seven Up
    Hard Eight
    Visions of Sugar Plums
    To the Nines
    Ten Big Ones
    Eleven on Top
    Twelve Sharp
    Plum Lovin'
    Lean Mean Thirteen
    Plum Lucky
    Fearless Fourteen
    Plum Spooky
    Finger Lickin' Fifteen

Everyone must read. The glass castle. A true story, you will NOT put it down. Also just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Also the 19th wife was good as well. Just opened Pillars of the Earth.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol".

LOVED the "Twilight Series"

My cousin is trying to get me to start reading Janet Evanovich, But honestly, I don't think I can fit a new author in. I already read everything by Danielle Steele, James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Fern Michaels, John Grisham, Karen Brown, Nicholas Sparks, Mary Higgins Clark, and Jackie Collins.

But I'm telling you ALL now, if you haven't read "The Shack" you are missing out!!!!!!!!!
    Kristen

What a great thread idea!
    No1conner: The 3rd book by Emily Giffin is "Baby Proof"...She wrote one more that I know of- "Love the One You're With"- but it is not part of the series.

I just finished The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. Good book, but it made me cry, so I probably wouldn't read it on the plane...now on the beach behind sunglasses might work just fine!

I also recently read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society...it was a light easy read, written entirely in letters, telegrams, etc.

My book club is reading a book called The Time it Snowed in Puerto Rico by Sarah McCoy. I haven't started it yet, but it is a coming of age type story about a Puerto Rican girl.

Thanks No1conner - now I have to find the other Emily Griffin book - we leave Sunday - hope B&N has it!

Amy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast