Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CSA Changes

Yookster,

Any other news about them redoing the pool? Great to hear they're redoing it, but hoping it'll be ready for us when we come down on the 18th.........

Quote Originally Posted by kevin&chris View Post
    Yookster,

Any other news about them redoing the pool? Great to hear they're redoing it, but hoping it'll be ready for us when we come down on the 18th.........
    Yes, the pool bar is done and it is now open as of today!!

Couples Ocho Rios 2005/2006
    CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    I played softball for 30+ years. My beverage of choice is beer but as sonofthebeach says, glass and sand and bare feet don't mix. With that said, they have Ting in the minibars so I think it must be a money issue.
    It won't change my decision to visit csa as I will enjoy whatever is put in front of me. Would I like Red Stripe in bottles? Yes, but I understand why it's not available everywhere. I must try the martini bar next April!
    Right, no glass on the beach, it's always been like that. I was referring to the martini bar when I mentioned the bottled beer.

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

I have the same question. We are going tomorrow and staying in a great house room solely for its proximity to the swim up bar. sucks... At least I know now I guess but I'm really bummed out.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin&chris View Post
    Yookster,

Quote Originally Posted by bhall View Post
    I have the same question. We are going tomorrow and staying in a great house room solely for its proximity to the swim up bar. sucks... At least I know now I guess but I'm really bummed out.
    Bhall you guys will be good... The swim up bar is open again as of yesterday. !

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Delete
    Last edited by yookster; November 6th, 2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: To delete post

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

We were sad too when CSA took the Red Stripe out of the mini bars. We've been going across the road to the little store and buying Red Stripe and Guiness for years because we like to have them on our veranda. Don't walk around the property with a bottle though. Sad to hear you can't get bottled beer at the Martini Bar now too. I know change is inevitable but it's always been the little extra touches at CSA that's kept us coming back and wanting more.
    Looking forward to our next visit at New Years.
    Thanks for the updates Yookster. Do they still have bottled water in the mini bars?
    What about the Wall of Fame? Has that been put back up?
    Karon

I really don't understand the comments about the beach not being raked each day??? We were just there Sep. 23 thru the 30th and the beach was raked, by hand. each and every morning.....by hand, not with the tractor, we have seen on past trips!!!

Thanks Yookster!! Can't wait!

So what was done to the swim up pool bar? I'm guessing a new roof and possible paint job. Anything else? Red Stripe in bottles was at Martini Bar and Repeaters Dinner.Caribe is only good to wash the sand off your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner262 View Post
    So what was done to the swim up pool bar? I'm guessing a new roof and possible paint job. Anything else? Red Stripe in bottles was at Martini Bar and Repeaters Dinner.Caribe is only good to wash the sand off your feet.
    Yes.... Just a new roof and some new tile I believe.

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Dear Couples,
    If the above changes are true, and if they are to be implemented in all four resorts, it would be a changing event for us. We all understand the need to reduce costs and recycle, but it costs good money for repeaters to enjoy the kind of experience we return for over and over. Some things just aren't feasible in cost saving, such as food quality and Red Stripe. Please keep it the way it was when you were winning all those Travel and Leisure awards and you'll keep us Couplesholics banging at your door.

Default Edited Post

From what I heard before I left there will be more change to come but for the good in regards to the alcohol. It sounds like they will be adding more beer and top shelf vodka. As for the beach, the last few days I was there they stepped up and started raking in the morning and more grounds keeping. Rumor has it there will be more activities available soon also.
    Last edited by yookster; November 13th, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Typo

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

We were at CSA for the first time in September and they were always running out of top shelf liquor EVERYWHERE. It was pretty disappointing. The best was when my husband and a new friends husband ran up to the martini bar to get us both extra dirty goose martini's while we were at a show downstairs. We both took a sip, looked at each other, then looked up at our husbands, who then looked at eachother and said "You were right! They CAN tell the difference!!!" It's just frustrating to feel like you're being a pain by asking for the alcohol that's advertised. The difference between a Smirnoff martini and a Goose martini is pretty big. Especially given the fact that Couples isn't a budget resort by any stretch of the imagination. There was never any consistency with what was stocked at any given bar. One day both beach bars were out of bloody mary mix. Really?! One would think that they would know how to stock a bar after doing this for so many years. And I WASN'T thrilled when I was solicited for tips by"he-who-will-remain-unnamed" within 30 minutes of arriving at the resort, telling us that we can wrap money up in a napkin and pass it to him! Luckily we knew of their no tipping policy.

As far as theRed Stripe bottles, we never saw them. I'm pretty sure bottles aren't a great idea on the beach, so the plastic cups and draught make a bit more sense, but I understand your disappointment. While we were there in Sept, Patois served breakfast, lunch, and dinner....thank goodness! They ran out of ingredients on a daily basis for their main dishes, but I didn't really think much of it at the time. Looking back, it's not a good thing if this is something that happens all the time. It would seem that they should recognize the problem and move on from there, instead of pretending that it's a random thing.

Laura

Hmmmm, Couples running out of top shelf liquors, running out of ingredients for main dishes?, this does NOT sound like the Couples we have come to to love and enjoy
    Hopefully when we arrive at Christmas time they will ahve all this taken care of and they will have enough food and drink for the all the festivities that go on during the Holidays! And of course lots of mint for our mojitos!!!
    26 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!

Tax law changed. This may be part of the issue.

Jamaica Customs Department

We just got back from CSA about a week ago. We've been around 10 or so times in the last few years.

Definately noticed alot of changes, although we've been noticing some of them in the several times that we've been this year over time.

Changes:

Cabana Grill - Not open during dinner hour anymore - closed 6-10.

Cabana Grill - Grilled Cheese gone (my favourite lunch).

Cabana Grill - Jerk Chicken recipie changed. (My wife's pre-this-visit favourite).

Bottled water - only available in Mini Bar. Kind of awful tasting water available at the 'water stations'.

Top shelf liquor(s) being moved to the disco bar or unavailable.

Mini Bar - If you don't fill out your card and leave hanging out front before 1pm - you get nothing. And a call next day isn't 5 minutes.

Smoking - completely banned at the Palms - including the Bar area.

Smoking - 'strange' at the Patois bar - they are using all the concrete ashtrays from the pool - looks to be non-smoking 'soon'.

Smoking - the new space-age ashtrays that are around are full most of the time - so kind of unusable.

Patois - menu doesn't change as often.

Palms - trying to sell wine at dinner as an a la carte upsell. Wine card on the table - 30 - 60 dollars a bottle.

Pool area - Random group of 3 or 4 native guys shows up and starts trying to sell everyone tickets to a club or something - AT the pool.

Wedding parties - seem to be overtaking the resort. They were stealing my drinks at the bar (happened twice).

Palms - the buffet seems to be withering even further down for selection. Pretty clear that they want to get rid of it.

So, in our opinion - lots of changes. Definately feels like a different resort to us. Everywhere I went this trip - was "Can't".

Probably a deal-breaker actually - which is a shame, we love the place.

Thanks,

We have not been to CSA, but right up until I started reading this forum, the plan was to book for an October stay. We were looking forward to Red Stripe AND coconut rum. We are talking about a well known resort in Jamaica - no coconut rum - REALLY?? Could the resort not buy any anywhere in Jamaica? I think until I see some more positive, we will start looking harder at the Sandals resorts. This is a shame too, we LOVE the suites with the verandas, but there are certain things that people do expect in an "All Inclusive" and that is great service, great food, and great drinks (alcohol). The rooms do not seem to be as nice as some of the other resorts in Jamaica, and with that said, the ammenities should be over the top to make up for it. I really hope that these cut backs are only temporary (maybe due to the hurricane...?) I only posted this because I hope somebody from Couples Resorts sees this and realizes that there are so many people out there that base and plan thier trips on forums like this and Trip Advisor, we are only one couple but the risk to loose many couples is out there with any kind of cut backs.

Do the staff at the resorts read the message boards? Do the owners read these boards? They should and make corrections. (everyone does pay a price for Couples Resortss). We will be coming to CSA our 3rd time, and I am getting a little nervous reading all the negative comments. We have family arriving in mid-January, on our recommendation. Sure hope they aren't disappointed. Actually they've been reading the message boards, and they are savy enough to be able to weed out " complainers" that tend to complain about everything.....however, I've been there twice and as I said before, I'm getting a little nervous.

Hi Ge,

I agree that there are a lot of complainers out there that you can't make happy no matter what. This is the first time in 10 years of going to Couples that I had really been concerned about where the resort was going. But I felt a little better when I was leaving this last trip because from what I understand there are more changes coming and it sounds like for the good. I think they are hearing what the people are saying. Hopefully that helps relieve some of that nervousness. I do understand how you feel though because we have made MANY referrals to the resort and I talk it up so much and if they don't deliver I would feel horrible. We will be back in April and I hope to see some positive changes. But by no means is the resort horrible so I would've be nervous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Do the staff at the resorts read the message boards? Do the owners read these boards? They should and make corrections. (everyone does pay a price for Couples Resorts). We will be coming to CSA our 3rd time, and I am getting a little nervous reading all the negative comments. We have family arriving in mid-January, on our recommendation. Sure hope they aren't disappointed. Actually they've been reading the message boards, and they are savvy enough to be able to weed out " complainers" that tend to complain about everything.....however, I've been there twice and as I said before, I'm getting a little nervous.

CSA 2009/2010/2011/
    2012 x2/2013 x2

Is there jet ski rentals available at or near CSA? If so, I'd love some info. We wil be there at the end of July/early August for our honeymoon!!! Thanks!

Please don't tell me they don't have my "Ice water" anymore? For those who don't know, my "Ice water" contains Tanqueray and tonic water. The last time we were there, 12/10, they would run out, but would be restocked within a half hour at all of the bars.
    GREANJAC

Grasshopper, look for a vendor on the beach whose name us Elvis. He usually wears a hat and has his cell phone attached to his ear alot. He will set you up. We paid about 40 bucks for a half hour but that was a few years ago, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ddores View Post
    We just got back from CSA about a week ago. We've been around 10 or so times in the last few years.

Definately noticed alot of changes, although we've been noticing some of them in the several times that we've been this year over time.

Changes:

Cabana Grill - Not open during dinner hour anymore - closed 6-10.

Cabana Grill - Grilled Cheese gone (my favourite lunch).

Cabana Grill - Jerk Chicken recipie changed. (My wife's pre-this-visit favourite).

Bottled water - only available in Mini Bar. Kind of awful tasting water available at the 'water stations'.

Top shelf liquor(s) being moved to the disco bar or unavailable.

Mini Bar - If you don't fill out your card and leave hanging out front before 1pm - you get nothing. And a call next day isn't 5 minutes.

Smoking - completely banned at the Palms - including the Bar area.

Smoking - 'strange' at the Patois bar - they are using all the concrete ashtrays from the pool - looks to be non-smoking 'soon'.

Smoking - the new space-age ashtrays that are around are full most of the time - so kind of unusable.

Patois - menu doesn't change as often.

Palms - trying to sell wine at dinner as an a la carte upsell. Wine card on the table - 30 - 60 dollars a bottle.

Pool area - Random group of 3 or 4 native guys shows up and starts trying to sell everyone tickets to a club or something - AT the pool.

Wedding parties - seem to be overtaking the resort. They were stealing my drinks at the bar (happened twice).

Palms - the buffet seems to be withering even further down for selection. Pretty clear that they want to get rid of it.

So, in our opinion - lots of changes. Definately feels like a different resort to us. Everywhere I went this trip - was "Can't".

Probably a deal-breaker actually - which is a shame, we love the place.

Thanks,

Yeah we just got back a few days ago from CSA too. It has changed a lot, and not for the better. We waited 3 days for our pre check in minibar, and it was only refreshed once. All we wanted was a bunch of diet coke (we are addicts). I would just leave our room and go to cabana grill to get it out of the machine, of course there was only ice from noon to 7 or 8 pm.

Room service was hit or miss, a few days we ordered it for 7-7:30, and it showed up after 8:30. One day we had already left for the beach.

I was propositioned by a lot of staff looking for tips, I was not expecting it.

Patios had the same menu 4 days in a row, needs to change every two days or so, or it gets boring.

Jerk Chicken at cabana is different, and not better different, there is no sauce anymore. I loved that stuff.

Beach and beach bars were awesome as always, drink menu changed, but it was fine, I ordered the old drinks, bartenders knew what to make.

After we left the resort my wife said we should take a year or two off because she was not impressed at all. What made couples awesome before seems to be going away. Staff just does not seem happy anymore, not sure how to put a finger on it, but others mentioned the same things to us.

There seems to be a lot of whining and misinformation here.

As for glass, it was never an issue because the Pepsi and other drinks in the mini bar are glass. I walk around the resort with these daily. Now red stripe is in the mini bars. It used to only be at repeaters or martini bar until they ran out which was always very early. If it isn't available get a draft beer and quit being so sad. You're in Jamaica. Who cares what the container material that holds your beer is made of.

One person said coconut run isn't available or runs out fast. I've never had this problem so don't worry about it. I don't believe that for a second. They may run out of your brand but it is still available.

The beach has always been raked daily when I went unless it was raining and then they wait until after the rain.

The menus changing has never kept me from ordering off menu either. Just because something isn't listed doesn't mean they won't make it. They never have a problem doing it for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast