Default sunscreen & bug spray prices?

I'm going to CSA for the first time next month. ( =) 4 more weeks!! ) I'm trying to get away with only bringing a carry on bag. I always get worried about my luggage getting lost.... But I know I'm going to need lots of sun screen and bug spray. Is it that much more to buy in Jamaica? Is it worth just waiting till we get there to buy it since i'd be saving $20 or $25 by not checking my bag or will it be a lot cheaper to just buy sunscreen and buy spray at home and check my bag?

Sounds like a wash to me. You will find prices for sunscreen and bug spray to be 2 to 3 times what you pay in the States, depending on where you shop and what you buy. They may not have your particular brand either, some folks are very picky about what sunscreen they use. I would consider the convenience of "carry on only" more so than any money savings it might afford you. Just our experience, but we have never had problems with luggage not arriving at our destination along with us on either end. Do what makes you comfortable.

Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha1016 View Post
    I'm going to CSA for the first time next month. ( =) 4 more weeks!! ) I'm trying to get away with only bringing a carry on bag. I always get worried about my luggage getting lost.... But I know I'm going to need lots of sun screen and bug spray. Is it that much more to buy in Jamaica? Is it worth just waiting till we get there to buy it since i'd be saving $20 or $25 by not checking my bag or will it be a lot cheaper to just buy sunscreen and buy spray at home and check my bag?
    2 things... 1. Sunscreen at the resort is horribly expensive 2-3x what you would pay at target. 2. Most airlines do not charge a bag fee on the first bag of an international trip. I know Delta gives you 1 free bag per person.

You can spend20 plus on sun screen and bug spray in the gift shop. So not saving any money there. I spent 20 on a little can of bug spray( off brand) and anti itch cream. I think the can of off was $12. You could get bug wipes to carry on?!?

I always bring my own and check my bag. It is very exspensive at the resort.
    One Love,
    Mya

I am not even sure they have bug spray honestly, they likely do, I just have never noticed it. The sunscreen is very expensive though... I believe about $10 more per bottle last we were there. Enjoy!!

Yep! We do the bug wipes as well and only do carry on. The sunscreen is around $15 a bottle. They have coppertone lotion and spray at CSA. (other name brands too)

Have fun! We leave 3 weeks from today!!!

We just did carry on a couple weeks ago and still didn't wear all the clothes we took. We took three/three ounce tubes of sunscreen that we got at walmart in our carry on. Then we bought one bottle of the gift shops least expensive spray lotion for $17 and didn't use it all. Neither one of us got burned. We didn't have need for any bug spray. We'll never do checked bags again.

We usually check our bag even it's carry-on size for several reasons. Usually by the time we clear immigration our bag is waiting for us at the luggage claim. For me, it's one less hassle wheeling it around before departure and during arrival. Also, we have never had a luggage issue in 15 trips to Jamaica. We bring our own sun screen and bug spray, lotion, other toiletries that are just easier to pack. Then, we usually leave our leftovers somewhere like the lifeguard stand for incoming guests. Then, we can carry-on our bag on the way home if we feel like it.

we checked a bag and was I ever glad.I took cortisone..tons of sunscreen ..antibiotic cream.waterproof bandages.nyquil..my shampoo and conditioner...i packed like we may have to survive on our own.got a cold..cut my foot on a (resort did not have waterproof bandages!!)piece of glass at the resort.also got a sun rash.used everything.would have cost me a small fortune IF i could've even gotten the stuff.btw..been sick both times AND cut my foot both times and STILL had the time of my life both times!!The sunscreen alone is worth it but you can just pack all the extas you want instead of trying to shove them in 2 little bags.Also..unbeleivably..airline lost our carryon which they forced us to check!came on next flight..but you just never know!

When I check all the airlines charged a fee for the Carribean, but not to Mexico. At least from the west coast. When flying to Mexico we always brought a bunch (in a checked bag) and it was totally worth it. Everything was incredibly expensive at the resort.

I know American does not charge for the first checked bag to Jamaica as that is who we are flying with this year. Last year we flew United down to Jamaica, and American back, and United charged for the first checked bag. Delta never use to but I am not sure what their policies are now since we have not flown them for a couple of years and some of these fees have changed since then.

With that in mind, we always bring one checked bag for our lotions, etc. and also pack the school supplies I bring down for the schools. We then have extra room to bring back whatever we decide be it rum cream, rum, or gifts for the grandchildren.
    Linda

In my opinion, you should bring a carry on only because its convenient.... and you don't risk losing your luggage. It is not less expensive when you factor in the cost of sunscreen, etc. We always check our bags and pray that the Baggage Gods are kind
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

As others have stated, it's expensive. We go through a lot of sunscreen, plus we change the SPF through out our stay. We do pack a 3 oz. tube of 30 for when we arrive in our carry on with a swim suit. We had free checked bags last year with Air Tran and yes, one of my bags ended up arriving later, but I still will check bags. I am not going to mess up my bag lugging around an overstuffed carry on as it saves no time. Our bags are always ready and waiting once we get through customs, okay except last year, but it was 9th trip to JA. It also drives me crazy that it takes those sitting ahead of me on the plane so long to get their stuff out of the overhead compartment. I just grab my bag which is under the seat in front of me and I'm ready to go.
    Vicky