Default The island!?!?!?

Quite a pressing issue has come up lately.....Have read that people that have been to TI in the past couple of weeks have not been able to go out to the island?? I know since Hurricane Sandy has reaked havoc on our beautiful Jamaica and has caused quite extensive damage, it has also flipped around the ocean currants to be very wicked. Please can anyone from the Couples family PLEASE reply and let me know if this is true. Even though there is nothing we can do about mother nature would just like to hear if we will be able to hit the island or will we see red flags everyday limiting us to only the small section on the beach???? Only 58 days till were 'HOME!"

We were there for seven days at the beginning of January and had red flag days for 3 1/2. We went over to SSB at CSS for two days.

We were there from Dec 23 - Jan 1 and the island was only closed for 2 of those 10 days due to red flag. There was no issue getting out to the island on the other days, even when it was a little rough.

From the thread in the main area, it appears as though Sandy destroyed the dock on the island, however, they have created a sandbag cove for the pontoon boat to pull into to load and unload. I'll be there in 8 days, so I'll post back with some pictures, but I believe it is totally open for business. The other thread made mention that replacing the dock is just awaiting insurance pay out.

The island was only closed for 2 of those 10 days due to red flag.There was no issue getting out to the island on the other days.

The island was closed Feburary 9th thru the 12th for construction of a new pier. I know because I was there at the time and I could not go to the island to sun bath in the AU Naturel........

While we were there Feb 7th thru Feb 12th Tower Island was closed for construction of a new Pier/Dock.

Quote Originally Posted by kltkgt View Post
    While we were there Feb 7th thru Feb 12th Tower Island was closed for construction of a new Pier/Dock.
    While I am glad they are getting it fixed, that would have really sucked to be there at that time. Did they at least offer to shuttle you over to CSS each day?

Default Any updates?

We are visiting in May. I hope everything is fixed by then

They did offer to shuttle us over to CSS to use the nude beach there, however the bus left at 9:45 and returned at 4. NO other options. The first day we couldn't go because we had signed up for the Cat. boat ride. The third day we missed the bus, we couldn't get ready & moving by 9:45. Bummer!

Ken & Kathy
    Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBtz View Post
    We are visiting in May. I hope everything is fixed by then
    Sure glad they fixed it.. and glad that I missed the construction! I left CTI on Feb 7th!!! It was amazing as always. I have to say the islanders were a little subdued though... I usually get involved in conversations when replenishing drinks and nobody really talked to me at all on this trip. I suppose, they were respecting our privacy since we hung out on the quiet side everyday.

Anybody have a picture of the new pier? Are they using the pontoon boat for shuttle now?

The Island is fully reopened. New dock. The pontoon boat takes you over. We were au natural newbies and we "risked" going to the island and were rewarded by meeting some of the nicest people. Great conversation. But if your prefer to be left to your own and catch some sun, everyone's cool with that too. Everyone was so respectful and appropriate. I guess when the clothes come off, so do the all the attitudes and pretenses. For any new timers to CTI, try the island early in your stay, on our first day and first trip to the island, we rode the boat back to the pier with a couple who waited until their last day and they were kicking themselves because they loved it as well. Just remember the island is all about sensuality and liberation, not sex. All ages there, all body types, no tan lines! Enjoy..."no problem mon!"

perfect summary for the newbies!

Unfortunately TI is off our list because of the red flag incident of 2013. Of course they have no control over the weather but it was very disappointing to see the island closed for 5 out of our 7 days and we were only able to get a day pass to SS for one day, which is something we get anyway with our romance rewards so it's not like they did us any favors by letting us over there. Something else to consider is that when the island is closed, the resort becomes even smaller because that's just more people at the pools and main beach, which is is pretty small.

So that's our opinion.... good luck and we hope you get to enjoy the island for your entire trip.

With that said, we are huge Sans Souci fans and plan on making that our main couples resort, with the option to take a day pass to TI if we want to use the island.

Tower Isle March 2013 - new dock, fully open. Name:  Couples Tower Isle - Ocho Rios, Jamaica.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  282.1 KB

It almost looks to me like they went for a more standard "dock" rather than the "pier" they had before.
    Pier - concrete pilings to the seafloor, concrete surface
    Dock - metal legs that sit on the seafloor, wooden surface

I can understand (if it's a dock) why they'd go that route over the previous pier:
    1. Quicker, cheaper, and easier to replace if they have to
    2. Able to take it out of the water in the event of an incoming hurricane so they don't need to do #1

Either way, dock or pier, we're going to be seeing it first-hand in just over 60 days!

YAY!

Jason & Kathy
    CTI in 60 days!

Quote Originally Posted by warren.cple View Post
    Either way, dock or pier, we're going to be seeing it first-hand in just over 60 days!

YAY!

Jason & Kathy
    CTI in 60 days!
    Jason & Kathy:
    When you get back from your visit "home" to CTI, could you please post whether the island was closed during your stay, and if so how many days it was closed? I've just booked a trip to CTI and, like the OP, am concerned about the island being closed due to red flag issues while I'm there. I would love to get another "first-hand" account of what the conditions were like during your visit and how many days you were able to visit the island.

Much thanks in advance,

Danielle & Greg