Default We never made it to CSA :(

We are so unhappy. We booked CSA with our travel agent (she is great) and we booked our flights separately with Spirit Air. NEVER AGAIN....they are the worst. We have had our flight reservations since April 2012 and were supposed to leave on November 1 and stay till November 10. About two months ago I received an email from Spirit stating that all flights were being cancelled for Novebmer 1. No reason, just cancelled. We could rebook for another day if we wanted to.

I contacted my travel agent and asked if we could cancel for the 1st and reschedule for the 2nd through the 10th and she said yes. OK, we can live with one less day (NOT). Everything seems to be going along fine and we leave from Myrtle Beach, SC at 8am on November 2 and fly into Fort Lauderdale for a layover. While sitting in the airport I receive an email from Spirit saying our flight from Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay has been cancelled!!!!!! WTF are you kidding me???

So now we have two choices and keep in mind we've already lost a day of sunshine (and resorts fees). We can stay over night in Florida and hopefully fly out on the 3rd or just give it up and go home. Which would mean we lost another day and a half.

Spirit has absolutely no customer service skills, there were hundreds of people in line waiting to rebook, because our flight was not the only one cancelled, and they had TWO reps to handle all of us. That is just crazy. NEVER AGAIN....I will never fly this horrible airline again. I know other airlines have issues but this airline is by far, the worst I have ever encountered.
    And I know there are far worse things that could happen in life (SuperStorm Sandy) but we still had a planned vacation and the stupid airline screwed it up.

So here I sit at home in South Carolina trying to stay warm and pretend we are at Swept Away......so far it's not working.

Wow, I am so sorry for you! My mother lives in MB, we usually use Delta, but over the summer we used Spirit, (it's a loooong story why, won't get into) but our reservations involved 5 people and the day we are supposed to fly back to Ohio, on the way there to the airport, Spirit voice mails me and says flight is cancelled.

AMEN to the no customer service, we ended up re~ booking for the following day, and it was ok since we stay at my mothers for free, no lost time for a job since I always leave a day at the end for "in case", but I am with you, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!

The 800 number is a joke, the poor ladies at the counter were nice, but obviously stressed, I felt bad for them as it's not their fault. SPIRIT is trying to stay out of Bankruptcy ... other airlines have their problems but I feel that their customer service is better. Just my opinion.

Were you able to "save" the $ for the couples part and reschedule for another time?

Did you get trip insurance?

Why didn't you just rebook your flight on another airline and stop payment on your credit card? Even though it took place many months ago, the service wasn't schedule until November. That is exactly why you should use a credit card. As the poster before mentioned, it is also the reason you should get trip insurance, which makes cancellation that much easier.

I am soo sorry your vacation was ruined by Spirit air! We had booked with them last year for our trip to CSA in Dec and as you say 2 months before they cancel our flights and say we can change our dates, etc. Well, I didn't want to change our dates seeing it was my husbands birthday, so I asked for a refund(which they gave within 48 hrs) and rebooked with American with no problems there. We also will NEVER book with Spirit again!!

Yes, we did have trip insurance. However, we will loose half the cost for the first day that was completely cancelled. That's not too bad I guess but it's still over $200 that we loose (not including the cost of the insurance). Thank goodness for the insurance, otherwise we would have been at the mercy of Spirit and had to fly whenever was convenient for them and we could have ended up loosing even more money.
    We will definitely rebook, maybe for the spring, and DEFINITELY not with Spirit.

WOW, what a nightmare. I hope you had trip insurance and you were able to salvage some of your Couples $$.

We have always recommend people NOT to fly Spirit, this is just another reason . How heart breaking for you. Big Warm hugs my dear.

Do not use Delta, they did the same thing to us a few years ago. An email to me that they were not flying to Jamaica on tuesdays in November. They usually mess up every flight with them that we take.

USAir from Clt always works great

Sorry to hear about your trip. This is part of the problem with discount airlines, though. The reason they can charge cheaper prices than the legacy airlines is that they have fewer staff and fewer planes. Not that the legacy airlines are all that great, but at least you have more options when you fly a legacy airline.

Sorry to hear about your trip. Thanks for warning the rest of us though. I hope it's comforting for you to know you probably saved a lot of us from going through the same bad experience you just went through. I hope you get there soon. Good Luck!

Delta was the airline that saved our ass trying to get home a couple days ago. Doesn't matter who the airline is, they all cancel from time to time! I would never fly Spirit though!

I've never had an issue with Delta (nonstop flight round trip)...we had no problems either way, I just hated going through customs. The only issue I had with Delta leaving Jamaica was they tried to charge us extra for baggage but it was the same baggage when we went to Jamaica...they were trying to get extra $$ from us saying our baggage was too heavy. I told them this is the same weight when we came here and we weren't charged. This wonderful supervisor helped us out in how to pack by rearranging our luggage, switching stuff around..they wanted to pack my wedding dress in the luggage but I told them "hell no"..I carried it her on-board and I will carry it back the same way. But all worked out without having to pay extra....Jamaica took us through hell though when leaving. But Delta was pleasant flight and everything was ready and scheduled as planned. Of course we went in December.

This is good information for scheduling flights in the future...and I was wondering about that Spirit airline. Now I know....