Default New Resort Next To Couples Negril

Anyone know if the resort under construction next door to CN has opened yet or when it will open? We are fearful when they do open for business, it will ruin the A/N beach area at CN.

They are taking bookings from March 4 so I guess that is when it opens!

It has not opened yet. I have heard various projections of January 2017 and Spring of 2017. When we were at CN 2 months ago it did not look like it could possibly be ready for a January open. Or even spring.

As to what effect it will have on CN and the A/N beach, who knows. We do not use the AN beach but I hope it's vibe can be preserved for those that do enjoy it.

Can't speak to the effect on the A/N beach, but adding an additional 1500+ people on Bloody Bay will certainly create larger crowds on the beach.

A few weeks ago the Royalton Negril website said the Grand Opening was set for January 15th, 2017. Today their website is a little more vague and says Early 2017 which likely means they won't make their earlier opening date. With the amount of money spent building this resort I am sure they want it opened as soon as possible.

As far as what this will do for the Couples Negril AN section, we will need to wait and see. If it is bad I am sure this forum will light up with comments.
    Jack and Kathy

CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016
    CTI 2012, 2014
    CN 2018

I'm betting a few of the more adventurous AN crowd could make it easy more uncomfortable the family crowd then other way around.

Muck, you may be right about the additional 1500 people on BB, there are several buildings at the new resort and if they are all full it could get crowded on the beach. They have no where to go except right by Couples and the first area they will encounter is the A/N section. I'm assuming that the new resort is also a family resort. It will be interesting to see how well they can enforce the NO PHOTOGRAPHY policy also.

My understanding the beach is public up to the high water line. Many of us use this are ato walk along Bloody Bay in front of the other resorts. So guests of the Royalton could come and 'camp out' in that area in front of CN. But that would be an uncomfortable spot to be in as the tide comes in. Above the high water line is Couples property and Couples security should do what they can to keep non-guests out of that area.

I don't know what all the guests at the Royalton will do with themselves once that resort is open and near full. There is no where near enough beach for that number of people. I hope they will have a lot of nice pools for people to hang out in and around. But when you look at the aerial shots of the resort there are buildings EVERYWHERE. There doesn't seem to be much room for pools.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Debbie View Post
    My understanding the beach is public up to the high water line. Many of us use this are ato walk along Bloody Bay in front of the other resorts. So guests of the Royalton could come and 'camp out' in that area in front of CN. ....
    You are correct about the beach being public up to the high water line but only for traversing. The law does not permit you to "camp-out" per se. You can walk the line but if you decided to set up "camp" the Couples security can (and should) ask you to keep moving.

Mike & Debbie, I totally agree with you about the Royalton being a very large resort with very little beach and they are "boxed" in down in that corner of Bloody Bay. We were there last June/July and noticed how many buildings were under construction. There will definitely be a lot of traffic from the Royalton Resort end of BB to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt and Angie View Post
    You are correct about the beach being public up to the high water line but only for traversing. The law does not permit you to "camp-out" per se. You can walk the line but if you decided to set up "camp" the Couples security can (and should) ask you to keep moving.
    I talked with a beach security guard last month about keeping the neighbors out of the Couples swim area and he said that they cant do anything about it. He did mention that management is looking into it and they are adding an additional security guard.

Life is good

We can speculate all we like but there is no way to know what is really going to happen until this resort opens. We could all be worrying about an non issue or it could be worse than we thought. We should really wait and see what happens. Good or bad, I am sure this forum will light up about this subject after this resort opens.

Like it or not, this resort is going to open soon.

I also feel Couples has a lot at stake here. I am confident their staff will do everything in their power to mitigate any adverse effects from this other resort. Also, this other resort may be bothered a lot more by Couples than we are by them. There will be a nude beach directly adjacent to their family beach and swimming area. This may not go over so well with their guests but there is nothing they can do to stop this either.
    Jack and Kathy

CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016
    CTI 2012, 2014
    CN 2018

We are booked at CN for April so I went to the Royalton Negril website and entered the travel dates that we will be at CN. It gave me a notice that they are not taking reservations at this time so apparently they don't think the construction will be completed by then.

My wife and I are booked on a trip to CN in May and are looking forward to the AN experience (part of the reason we're going). We would be really disappointed if we're unable to exercise the AN option during our stay.

Hi tropical_cpl, have just checked on Royalton website and they have given me a rate for various rooms and suites for 14 nights from 4 March 2017!!! nothing available prior to this date. Hope that you are correct that construction will not be completed.

We are not users of the AN beach at CN. But we are 4 time repeat visitors. Everything I have heard and read says that the AN beach will remain, and that's great. The Royalton and it's guests may not like it, but too bad for them. However, if there is a lot of family activity in the water in front of the AN beach I fear that it may diminish the quality of the experience somewhat.

I completely understand that the atmosphere may change a little, but I do not understand all of the speculation and worry. Couples has their permits for the AN beach and the Royalton cannot dictate how Couples operates and vice versa. AN enjoyers and textile folks have co existed together in Bloody Bay for a long time....why would things change now?
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016
    CSS October 2017 SOON COME!