Thread: General Store

Hybrid View

Default General Store

I am visiting Couples Swept Away in December and wanted to bring my luggage as a carry on, but realizing that there too many liquids that I need to pack. Does anyone know if there is a general store that sells, sun block and bug spray? I heard that sand fleas are terrible.. does anyone know if that is true....

CSA does have all that in their stores but you pay highprices for it! If you have resort credits coming to you, you may use them for purchases. Thats all up to you if you want to pay double what you would pay in the States.

There is a store that sells those items BUT you will pay like $25 for sunblock. I think I paid $16 for a small bottle of aloe lotion a few weeks ago. I didn't have any issues with sand fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjulia View Post
    I am visiting Couples Swept Away in December and wanted to bring my luggage as a carry on, but realizing that there too many liquids that I need to pack. Does anyone know if there is a general store that sells, sun block and bug spray? I heard that sand fleas are terrible.. does anyone know if that is true....

Yes, you are Negril, they are of stores. It may be cheaper to check one bag on the way down. The cost for these type of products are costly.
    Irie Mon

My husband and I just returned from CSA this past weekend. We took checked luggage, as this was our first trip, and being a red-head, I burn very easily. What we discovered, upon our checked luggage not making our connecting flight, is that next trip we will only take carry-on bags, take a few mini bottles (3oz) sunscreens as we can fit in the approved zip-lock bag, and buy any extra as necessary. Yes, it may cost a little extra at the resort, but checked luggage from the US, for one suitcase is $25 to the resort and $25 back home. If you end up paying that much (likely less) for sunscreen, it all evens out. And you don't run the risk of lost luggage and the un-needed stress on your vacation.

On the sand-fleas: Yes, they can be a problem, but I think it is a person-by-person type of issue. My husband didn't notice them, and wasn't bothered by them. He isn't often bothered by mosquito or other insects. I, on the other hand, am bite-prone. I was happy to have some bug spray.

Also, you can take the shopping trip offered by the resort. It is a short trip to a little strip mall with a bunch of souvenir shops, and a few jewelry stores. Some of the little shops sell sunscreen at lower prices than the resort, though I didn't find the resort prices to be out of the realm of reality.

Any way you spin it, you're going to have to spend a bit of money. But it is worth it! Enjoy your vacation!

You can always check out the little convenience store across the street. Hubby and I visit there several times during our stay to give them some business and get what we like to call "room snacks". I am 99% positive they have both sunblock and bug spray though we usually just get snacks and liquor.

I havent been to CSA, but speaking as a repeat, take your baggage as carry-on. Our bags weren't lost, but I've heard many horror stories. It isnt worth it. Trust me when I say you wont need half of the clothing that you pack - so do a carry-on and take small bottles of sunblock. Have so much fun!!!!

Larla is spot on. Musicalrose brings up a good point. We stay at CN and there is a gas station across the street. Next time I will check to see how they are set for the basics.