Default CSS Liquor Prices

We are booked for our first Couples experience (CSS) for two weeks over Christmas and New Years. Prior to this we patronized Excellence resorts but decided to give you a try.

Looking forward to the experience. Rave reviews about staff going out of their ways to provide good service.

However, a recent reviewer on tripadvisor states that the much raved about Red Stripe beer is not included and must be bought. Is this true and if so, why would you charge for a local beer? Do you charge to fill the mini bar only or is the charge throughout the resort?

The same reviewer comments that you also charge for higher end liquor. Is this true and where does the charge apply...just the mini bar or the entire resort?

Finally, the comment was made that the open bars have been running out of the higher end liquor. Can you advise what we can expect?

You can check out the comments by Beloro at:
    Couples Sans Souci (Ocho Rios, Jamaica) - Resort (All-Inclusive) Reviews - TripAdvisor

Looking forward to our time and we hope the described experiences were just a bad confluence of circumstances.

More Trip Advisor smear campaign. No charges for the beer or liquor at the bars or in your room.

Hi T&W,
    I also saw that horrendous review on Trip Advisor too. Randymon already replied that there is no charge for Red Stripe in your mini bar. I believe if you want top shelf liquor in your minibar, there is an upcharge. There should not be a charge when your request top shelf liquor at any of the bars. At dinner you can purchase premium wines and champagnes/sparkling wines.

I hope they don't run out of Grey Goose at the Balloon Bar! A filthy dirty martini is my favorite pre-dinner cocktail. Hubby and I will also be at CSS the week between Christmas and New Years, maybe we will meet!

CSS soon come!
    suzyQ

Quote Originally Posted by T&W Vancouver View Post
    We are booked for our first Couples experience (CSS) for two weeks over Christmas and New Years. Prior to this we patronized Excellence resorts but decided to give you a try.

Looking forward to the experience. Rave reviews about staff going out of their ways to provide good service.

However, a recent reviewer on tripadvisor states that the much raved about Red Stripe beer is not included and must be bought. Is this true and if so, why would you charge for a local beer? Do you charge to fill the mini bar only or is the charge throughout the resort?

The same reviewer comments that you also charge for higher end liquor. Is this true and where does the charge apply...just the mini bar or the entire resort?

Finally, the comment was made that the open bars have been running out of the higher end liquor. Can you advise what we can expect?

You can check out the comments by Beloro at:
    Couples Sans Souci (Ocho Rios, Jamaica) - Resort (All-Inclusive) Reviews - TripAdvisor

Looking forward to our time and we hope the described experiences were just a bad confluence of circumstances.
    There was no charge for redstripe last week. Of course in the 7 days we were there, our minibar was only restocked twice. That was really disappointing. We kept putting the cards out and got nothing. All we wanted was diet coke, so we just stole bottles from friends rooms that did not drink it.

Saw the same one and asked also on this board. Randy wrote back no. You will love Couples this will be our first time at CSS but we got married and also have stayed at CSA 3 times.

This person emailed me back after I wrote them, this is what they said and they had prices, Hey Randy by chance can you comment on this to help us all out....

THIS WAS THERE RESPONCE....

We were there from November 8 -22 and believe me they were charging $3.00 for Red Stripe! Apparently that has changed as of November 27th and you are no longer charged for the Red Stripe in your room but they are still charging for top shelf liquors such as:
    Appleton Estate VX rum $30.00
    Grey Goose Vodka $61.00
    Absolut Vodka $36.00
    Bombay Gin $47.00
    Tanqueray Gin $33.00
    Crown Royal $59.00
    Canadian Club Whiskey $35.00
    Baileys Irish Cream $30.00
    Heineken, Guiness & Miller Light $4.00
    I have posted a picture on Trip Advisor of the in room mini bar order form. It should be up by tomorrow if not later today.

On December 10, 2012 3:29 PM janeinpenn wrote:
    I called Couples and they said you are not charged 3 more dollars for top shelf alcohol, and a friend of mine was just there and didnt get charged so, do you think you might have been mistaken on this charge? I hope the manager writes back on this also.

First, I would like to tell you that you are going to have a fabulous time! I'm jealous, I would love to go over the holidays.

Second, Couples is all-inclusive and that includes all liquor including those provided in your minibar. There is no up sale to premium brands. We also never found them to be without a brand. They stock very well.

Third, treat yourself each evening while getting ready for dinner and order a bottle of champagne from room service. It is simply decadent each night to pop a bottle of bubbly and enjoy while preparing for the enchanting evening to come.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We are at CSS now...there is no charge for Red Stripe throughout the resort (bottles in the mini bar and on tap throughout the rest of the resort). High end liquor is available throughout the resort bars without a service charge (no extra charge for a good scotch like Glen Levitt or a whiskey like Crown Royal or gin like Tangaray). The mini bar has liquor that is complimentary, but not the high end stuff (Appleton rum, Kirov vodka, Gilchrest gin and Highlander whiskey is available in the minibar).

However, a recent reviewer on tripadvisor states that the much raved about Red Stripe beer is not included and must be bought.
    Yep, I've been following the same thread(s) on Tripadvisor. I believe the Red Stripe question was answered by Randy, but I do believe there was a charge for Stripe pertaining to the mini bar ONLY. The person making the comment had 5 prior visits to CSA, and actually claimed to have the order form, and stated they would post same on Tripadvisor.

Finally, the comment was made that the open bars have been running out of the higher end liquor. Can you advise what we can expect
    Yes, I'd like to know what to expect for my visit in Feb. to CN. Since I read a comment about Couples Resorts not carrying certain high end items ANYMORE because of a higher Tax placed on them from the Jamaica Government. Would cetainly like to get to the bottom of these rumors, one way or another.

I finally had a chance to read that review on Trip Advisor. The poster obviously had a bad experience, maybe aggravated by the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. However, as Randymon has already stated on another thread, Couples does NOT charge extra for Red Stripe or premium liquors. The only thing they do charge extra for is a premium wine list. However, house red, white, and sparkling wine is available at no extra cost. So, because the poster got this VERY BASIC FACT wrong about CSS, I have to seriously doubt that ANY part of her review is true.

We, too, have stayed at an "E" property in the DR. While we liked it very much, we have since returned to Couples (both CSA and CSS). And if you want to talk about resorts not treating their employees particularly well, we were shocked to learn that the employees at "E" in the DR would routinely work 14 hour shifts. Jamaica, on the other hand, has laws enforcing an 8-hour work day.

I think that you will like CSS. We loved the service, the beauty, and the most of all, the drinks and food!

It is getting close to that time of year when people vote for the favorite resorts. It is also that time of year when a lot of negative and totally false reviews get posted about couples. Believe me, there is no extra charge for any beer or liquor once you are at Couples. They do have a manger's wine list you can choose from that has a charge to it if you don't like the wine they are serving for free, but that is the only extra charge for any liquor.

At Couples Resorts, world-class amenities blend effortlessly with Jamaica's most idyllic beach settings and local charm. Enjoy the finest island-infused cuisine. Dive into a paradise of sports and activities. Or indulge in total privacy. It's all included and it's all inspired by you.

Jamaica's most beautiful beaches
    Multiple swimming pools, including swim up pool bars and piano bars
    Caribbean style rooms most with balcony, hammock or outdoor lounge seating
    Gourmet restaurants serving the finest international cuisine with Caribbean flavors
    Premium brand liquors, such as Glenlivet scotch, Grey Goose vodka, Tanqueray gin; wines and champagne
    Beach butler service—just raise your flag for a refreshing drink
    Luxury spa with lavish menu of body treatments, facial treatments, beauty services (additional fee applies)
    Nightly entertainment from local and international musical talent, beach parties, piano bar, disco, and more
    No taxes, tips, or dining surcharges

We stayed at CSS the week of Sept. 1st, 2012.

We had a 2-sided "Mini bar listing" sheet for re-stocking. (we still have it)
    The "Standard Stock Items" side, for beer listed:
    Carib Beer- 2 per room

The "Upgrade Items" side, for beer listed:
    Redstripe $3.00
    Redstripe Light $3.00
    Heineken $4.00
    Guinness $4.00
    Miller Light $4.00

Later in the week (on Tues. I think), they switched to the new stocking procedure; they may have also changed procedure on charging for redstripe since then.

None of the resorts are charging for Red Stripe.

Couples Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    Thank you for answering Randy....could you clearify what the resorts are charging for.Not that it matters because we get so much but I think this should be laid to rest once & for all right from the horses mouth (not that I'm calling you a horse....LOL)
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    You have very clearly stated "no charge for Red Stripe".

Can you specifically address the charges for LIQUOR? Also, can you specifically address charges for other beers such as Heineken, etc.?