Hybrid View

Default Sangsters rum cream

When we leave each year we usually pick up 4-5 bottle of Sangsters at the airport since it is not available in our area. However this year, all the places we used to look have been replaced by one massive liquor store that you must walk through to get to half of the gates (super tacky). The worst thing is, this place does not sell Sangsters, it only sells Wray and Nephew.

It is good, but not the same. Is there anywhere to get Sangsters at the airport anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by IACouple View Post
    When we leave each year we usually pick up 4-5 bottle of Sangsters at the airport since it is not available in our area. However this year, all the places we used to look have been replaced by one massive liquor store that you must walk through to get to half of the gates (super tacky). The worst thing is, this place does not sell Sangsters, it only sells Wray and Nephew.

It is good, but not the same. Is there anywhere to get Sangsters at the airport anymore?
    There was another store selling liquor just as you clearer security near the food court area, however they did not have any Sangsters original either just the flavoured kinds. We were told it had to do with a shortage of their special bottles but not sure if this is the real reason. We use to be able to get Sangsters all the time in Nova Scotia but it is no longer being stocked here either.
    FONT="Verdana"]David and Jeanette, Nova Scotia[/FONT][/FONT]

I thought Sangsters was now owned by Wray and Nephew which is owned by Lascelles Mercando owned by...

That is correct they are part of the same family but there is a different taste to the two products. Sangsters uses the golden Appleton rum while the Wray and Nephew rum cream is made with overproof white rum.
    FONT="Verdana"]David and Jeanette, Nova Scotia[/FONT][/FONT]

Default sunnyshine liquors

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_in_the_sun View Post
    There was another store selling liquor just as you clearer security near the food court area, however they did not have any Sangsters original either just the flavoured kinds. We were told it had to do with a shortage of their special bottles but not sure if this is the real reason. We use to be able to get Sangsters all the time in Nova Scotia but it is no longer being stocked here either.
    In october we bought sangsters rum creme at Sunnyshine liquors in the airport, on the left hand side before you hit the food court.

I just wish they would export it here to the states.

We found the same problem. I sampled the Wray and Nephew brand, and it has a very strong rum taste (unlike Sangsters' smooth and creamy taste). The gal told me it is made with Overproof Rum and that is why. I went back to the first store that was mentioned that is just after security and before the food court. I found two other brands. I sampled the one from Lillifield. It was very close to Sangsters, so I did end up buying that. I'd have to do a side-by-side taste sample, though, to verify that it is as good as Sangsters. The resort did have the Sangsters Original Rum Cream in the gift shop, but it is very expensive there.

We just left a couple weeks ago and were able to get original Sangsters at the store just through customs (I think it's called Sunshine Liquors, or something like that). They had all of the flavored varieties there as well.

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

I drank a vat (is that how they make it?) of Rum Cream while at Swept Away in October. As I was sitting there at the Bamboo bar every day being served by Dwight, Lincoln and the whole crew, whose names slip away into a Rum Cream mist, I noticed that all they served came from a Wray and Nephew bottle. I could tell no difference and bought 10 of the smaller bottles at the airport for gifts. Rum Cream and Frangelica on the rocks, mm.mm.mm.

The overproof rum definitely creates a harsher flavor profile.
    We noticed both Sangsters and Lillifield brands available at CSA. After spending copious amounts of time with rum cream on ice, I seem to prefer Lillifield.
    In the states however, neither one is available. I have found a Cruzan rum cream that is as close as one can get. If you like cinnamon, you can try RumChata or the various knock-offs that have recently become available.

I've been told that they don't make Cruzan any more. I did think it was closest to Sangsters. The rum chata is undrinkable to me. Its not creamy at all, its watery and I don't care for the cinimon flavor. I've settled for Baileys until April

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    I've been told that they don't make Cruzan any more. I did think it was closest to Sangsters. The rum chata is undrinkable to me. Its not creamy at all, its watery and I don't care for the cinimon flavor. I've settled for Baileys until April
    A handful of local store are still receiving stock of the Cruzan rum cream. It could be remaining old stock at the distributor but have been told it's a special order item here in Iowa. Your state may vary. Runs about $17 a bottle here.
    Definitely an overwhelming cinnamon note in the RunChata. The Cruzan has no flavors added so it's as close to the glass you'll be sipping on 7 Mile Beach as you can find here.

Cruzan Rum Cream has been taken off the Cruzan web page. Maybe that's an omen that Sangster's is coming to the USA!
    Richard

CSS November 2010
    CSS October 2013

Quote Originally Posted by oma parrothead View Post
    Cruzan Rum Cream has been taken off the Cruzan web page. Maybe that's an omen that Sangster's is coming to the USA!
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

There was a recipe for home brewing rum cream on the message board some time ago. I think I will do some research and find it here or somewhere on the net. Not sure if we have any rum cream left in the basement for the holidays, but if not I may try and make some myself. I look forward to ordering some at the bars at CSA in June.

See you at the beach!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
    There was a recipe for home brewing rum cream on the message board some time ago. I think I will do some research and find it here or somewhere on the net. Not sure if we have any rum cream left in the basement for the holidays, but if not I may try and make some myself. I look forward to ordering some at the bars at CSA in June.

See you at the beach!
    I think this is what you are looking for. It's by no means Sangster's, but when in a pinch...

Be careful not to blend too long or the heavy cream will begin to whip. I made that mistake once.

Rum Cream

14 ounce Can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup Dark rum
    1 cup Heavy cream
    cup Chocolate-flavored syrup
    4 teaspoons Instant coffee powder
    teaspoon Ground cinnamon
    teaspoon Vanilla extract
    teaspoon Coconut extract

Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. Whirl at high speed until well blended and smooth. Serve immediately over ice. Or cover tightly and store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Stir before serving.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

NeedblueWater;

Thanks! That one is simple enough even for me not to screw up. I know there are several recipes out there, some more complex than others, but this one looks good for a party. I will make some up for New Years!

Hooray rum cream!

Wedge, live in mn and have asked at many stores about Cruzan to no avail. I really liked it as a good substitute, Rats! Just have to be patient I guess. I may have to take a drive to Iowa!

Last March 2011, we fell in love with the Rum Cream at CN. Every morning in our coffee and after dinner as a night cap. Have not been able to find Sangsters here, but our local liquer store started carrying El Dorado Rum Cream. It is the closest we have found to what we had at CN last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TexPanCpl View Post
    Last March 2011, we fell in love with the Rum Cream at CN. Every morning in our coffee and after dinner as a night cap. Have not been able to find Sangsters here, but our local liquer store started carrying El Dorado Rum Cream. It is the closest we have found to what we had at CN last year.
    Oh you lucky folks! El Dorado is excellent but not available here. Definitely would be my first choice outside of Jamaica. Their aged rums (12, 15, 21 year old) are spectacular.
    Cruzan no longer shows it on their website? I best be stocking up locally then.