Default Flight concerns/American Airlines

After going through the message boards, I am now getting extremely concerned about the flights for our trip in May. Both our flight there and out return flights are with American Airlines. From what I hear they are horrible about cancelled and delayed flights. What on Earth do we do if that happens!?! Does anyone have experience with this?

Worse, our connections are in Miami as we couldn't find a direct flight, and we only have 1 hour and 10 minutes to connect on the way there!!!!!!!!!! Freaking out here!!

Is it even possible to make it? We are not planning to check luggage.

Hoping someone can ease my worries!! (doubting it, though) Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by axmh1985 View Post
    After going through the message boards, I am now getting extremely concerned about the flights for our trip in May. Both our flight there and out return flights are with American Airlines. From what I hear they are horrible about cancelled and delayed flights. What on Earth do we do if that happens!?! Does anyone have experience with this?

Worse, our connections are in Miami as we couldn't find a direct flight, and we only have 1 hour and 10 minutes to connect on the way there!!!!!!!!!! Freaking out here!!

Is it even possible to make it? We are not planning to check luggage.

Hoping someone can ease my worries!! (doubting it, though) Thanks.
    Your layover will be fine...over an hour is plenty of time to change gates even if you have to go to an international terminal. You'll find that you rush there and then end up sitting saying "why did we rush". However I would rush because that's just me and I'd rather sit there and wait for 20 minutes than have to run through the doors of the plane.

As far as the American cancelling goes, there's nothing you can do except change your flight and even if you do that, there's still a chance the other airline could cancel/delay/change your flight as well. It's not worth worrying about. We've been to Couples three times and the very first time we had a delayed first leg which caused us to miss our direct flight from Chicago and then there was a storm on the east coast which cancelled hundreds of flights and we were in an airport for over 24 hours with United telling us our best bet was to return home. We eventually got there, lost a non-refundable day at Couples, was sunny when we landed and then started raining on the shuttle and didn't stop for 4 days and HAD THE GREATEST TIME AND MET TONS OF FRIENDS WE STILL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH!

Point being...no sense to worry, get trip insurance and let the chips fall where they may. I know you've probably spent a lot but that's what the insurance is for and if it doesn't work out, you'll find a time when it does and it will make that trip even more fun. Also, your trip is not for 6 months and while it's good to look FORWARD to a trip, if you're anxious about the cancellation, you're going to drive yourself bananas...HAVE A GREAT TIME ON YOUR TRIP!

The connection going will be tight but should work, if you are returning thru Miami hope you have at least 2 to 2 1/2 hrs as you need to collect your luggage clear customs immigration and than return your luggage for the connecting flight, in my experience with Miami this takes awhile.

Since you aren't checking luggage, you have a good chance of making your connection assuming that your flight to Miami is close to on time. I wouldn't book such a tight connection if I had luggage to check. Best wishes for a smooth travel day!

That's plenty of time on the way out. Just don't hang around. We've done it many times and the only time it didn't work out was when we were diverted for a medical emergancy. We got on a later flight.
    You should always know what other flights there are, incase you have to rebook for a delay or something. go prepared with information.

70 minutes in Miami on your way to Jamaica will be fine as long as your connecting flight is not late. When I lived in Denver I flew AA all the time. They really aren't all that bad. Just keep up with your flight information and check the flights occasionally to see if they have changed. Don't stress over what you have no control over. Just relax, you're heading to paradise. Lucky you!!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We're in the same boat in April, keeping our fingers crossed.

Might be US Airways by then. Supposedly they made a formal offer mid-November to AA's debt holders (AA is in bankruptcy) on Dec. 7 after AA reached new labor deals. The deal could close as early as January.

US Air makes AMR merger offer, Jan deal possible: source - Yahoo! Finance

Quote Originally Posted by JLM6985 View Post
    Might be US Airways by then. Supposedly they made a formal offer mid-November to AA's debt holders (AA is in bankruptcy) on Dec. 7 after AA reached new labor deals. The deal could close as early as January.

US Air makes AMR merger offer, Jan deal possible: source - Yahoo! Finance
    Even if (keyword "if") they merge, it would take over a year for the two airlines to operate as one. A lot would have to happen prior to that. As a very frequent US Air traveler, I asked the flight attendant sitting next to me on my flight last week, and she doesn't think it will happen, AA really wants to operate as its own airline.

To all the board members worried about flights. Don't bother. No airline is perfect. You can't control what happens. Get insurance and enjoy.

1 hr and 10? That is easy. We did 21 min layover in ATL this last trip and made it.

IACouple,
    Was your 21 minute layover one that included Immigration, Customs, and Luggage? Our experience on arriving home from the Caribbean (mostly in Charlotte) has been that we hand to slowly deplane, walk to Immiigration, wait in line to get through Immigration, claim our luggage, go through Customs, recheck our luggage for our connection, go through TSA security again to go to our connection gate ... and hope make it.
    We usally have just over an hour for this one the flights we have to take and we have made it sometimes, but missed the connection several times. We've found that a lot of things have to go just right to make a tight connection. We make it most of the time, but it's never relaxing and always a race. Atlanta must be awesome to be able to do all that in 21 min. Maybe we will try that, as we can connect in Atlanta if we fly with Delta (I think).
    We get around this sometimes by going carry-on only (since we need so little for a week at CN). Not having to claim and recheck anything cuts a good bit of time off.
    BTW- We have come to love going through US Immigration and Customs at the foreign airports in Nassau, and Aruba! US Immigration and Customs is set up at those airports so you do it all before you leave to come home. This way you arrive like on a domestic flight and luggage checks through automatically to your home destination... nothing to do when we arrive in the US except head to our gate, not even security to pass through. There are times I wish this would be included in Jamaica since we go there far more than we do to Aruba or Nassau/Paradise Island!

Our flights for April have changed for us on American. We leave a half hour later, have longer layovers both ways and arrive in mbj an hour and a half later. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.