Default Buffet only two nights at CSS

Hi all,

We recently booked a trip to CSS (May 2013)... and so I've been hitting Trip Advisor to check out the reviews and see photos. I've read several complaints about the two buffet only nights at CSS... long lines, food going quick if you're not there first, luke warm, etc. Some opted for room service (only other option on those nights).

I've been to CN several times and I really enjoyed their outdoor buffets... although I remember one night we used the outdoor buffet for appetizers and then hit the main restaurant for dinner...

So my question is this: Are these complaints warranted at CSS? Is it the only Couples Resort that doesn't have another restaurant option for dinner? Any positive thoughts about the outdoor buffets? Is two nights a lbit much... maybe one night would be better? And if so, which one is best (the beach night or the lawn night) in case we opt to eat in for one of them?

Thanks all. Look forward to hearing your comments... love talking travel.

I hate buffets and forced group dining experiences. We're not anti-social and love meeting new people, but dining out together is one of the highlights of our trip. Unfortunately, I've also discovered that I'm allergic to sand flea bites, so the beach and lawn are off limits during the evening and early morning.
    We'll probably try room service on one of those nights. We're also considering an off- site restaurant for the other - can anyone make a recommendation?
    Thanks!!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

Default Not to worry!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
    Hi all,

We recently booked a trip to CSS (May 2013)... and so I've been hitting Trip Advisor to check out the reviews and see photos. I've read several complaints about the two buffet only nights at CSS... long lines, food going quick if you're not there first, luke warm, etc. Some opted for room service (only other option on those nights).

I've been to CN several times and I really enjoyed their outdoor buffets... although I remember one night we used the outdoor buffet for appetizers and then hit the main restaurant for dinner...

So my question is this: Are these complaints warranted at CSS? Is it the only Couples Resort that doesn't have another restaurant option for dinner? Any positive thoughts about the outdoor buffets? Is two nights a lbit much... maybe one night would be better? And if so, which one is best (the beach night or the lawn night) in case we opt to eat in for one of them?

Thanks all. Look forward to hearing your comments... love talking travel.
    My husband and I have been to CSS multiple times and always enoy the two buffets. Food is plentiful, hot, and delicious so no worries! The lines can be a little long at times, but they move along quickly. We enjoy talking to other visitors while we are waiting. The Beach Buffet is casual, followed by entertainment provided by the staff or a steel drum band. The Grand Gala is just that - more formal with twinkling lights - think a beautiful outdoor wedding reception... The variety of the dishes is amazing. Even my somewhat picky husband finds plenty to his liking. It has to be a tremendous amount of work for the staff, not only to cook, but to set up and take down the various stations and tables. You won't be disappointed!

Hi RandyP,

We've been to CSS a few times, as well as CN, and have never had any of the problems posted on Trip Advisor's site. Yes, there are 2 buffet nights where that, other than in-room dining, is the only option. By the way...in-room dining is not something to sneeze at. The food is awesome and a romantic dinner for two on your balcony can be very enjoyable and relaxing.

Of the two we find the Starlight Gala to be the one we'd prefer not to miss. Both have excellent, and plentiful, food mixed with nice entertainment. Don't let some disgruntled Trip Advisor post turn you off from enjoying an awesome visit to CSS.

Hopefully this will ease your worry,

Bart & Bug

We just got back from CSS last night. The beach party food and the Gala food was incredible! However, you can order room service if you prefer. All good! You can't go wrong. The Gala desserts are well worth attending---beautiful and delicious! This was our second visit to CSS, and it will not be our last.

Experiences vary based on individual preferences of course. My wife and I enjoyed the Beach party more than the outdoor Gala. Food was good, varied, and plentiful at both. Wait times was never more than five minutes. Maybe some folks consider that a long time.

S/F
    Scott and June

We usually stay at CSA, but have also stayed at CSS. We loved the Starlight Gala on Friday night at CSS. There was an enormous amount of food, and while there were lines, they moved quickly. I was not as big a fan of the beach BBQ at CSS - the selection was smaller, and it seemed a bit cramped. It is true that the only other dining option on those nights would be room service, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If I were to go back to CSS, I would pick the night of the beach BBQ to explore off-resort.

We are not fans of buffets. Since it is the only thing we dislike about CSS, we continue to go there. Another option is to have an early, ok very early, dinner at the beach bar. I think they serve until around 5 pm.

If you do like buffets, these are really nice ones. Also the entertainment is usually really good on buffet nights.

Thanks for the feedback on the buffets everyone. Much appreciated.

CN and CSA are my favorites... and part of me keeps wanting to cancel CSS and just stay on the Negril side where I know I will love it... but the other part says go try the Ocho Rios side... I think more to say I've been to all 4 resorts since I can stay at CSS and do a day visit to CTI... then I will know for sure... but I sure hope I'm not dissappointed and kicking myself.

Thanks again all!!