Default Is it OK to take a floatie from the Isle out into the ocean?

Reading the questions about going in the ocean from the Isle at CTI, and dreaming about our trip in May, I had a question...

Is it OK if you want to take the floatie off your lounger and go out in the ocean from the Isle with it, and do some AN floating?

I saw the topic about snorkeling off the Isle (bring your own snorkel gear,) and might try that in May (hmm, is it still considered AN if you're wearing a mask and snorkel but nothing else?)

Counting down the days...
    Jason

Haven't tried it at CTI but have used the floatie at CN to lounge in the ocean AN. Don't see any reason why you couldn't do this at CTI. The only difference is that there's not a designated area to float (ropes/bouys) and the "beach" area is small.

Enjoy!

In our many trips to Tower Isle over the years, I can't say I've ever seen anyone take a floatie out in the ocean around Tower Isle. There are a couple reasons for this. One, the ocean around the isle is usually pretty wavy, which wouldn't make for a very relaxing float. Two, if you stopped paddling for very long in those waves, you could suddenly find yourself very close to shore, maybe even ending up on the main beach. Guess it goes without saying that you'd be a bit embarrased ending up on the main beach with only a floatie to cover up with!

Yes, we have seen several guests using the floaties from the island in the ocean off the Island at CTI.
    Vicky

That was something that they have always frowned upon. You may want to take your own. Just buy a cheap blow up type that you can leave behind.

Yes, not issues. You will want to do it on the resort side.
    Irie Mon

Yes, you can take the floaties, but stay on the side facing the beach. The other side has strong currents and you could wind up in Cuba. Also, bring along a long piece of rope so that you can tie it to the floatie so that you won't drift off. When a bunch of people are going, tie the floaties all together for the same reason.

Unless something has changed a person was not allowed to use the floaties off of the island. I've been to Tower Isle five times, and have seen people being stopped when attempting to take the floats off the loungers and down into the sea. I was told that they have lost many of the floats that were issued to the island because of carelessness of users, hence the rule...Again, that has been my experience, but enforcement may depend on who is running the bar or the island on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltofirefighter View Post
    Unless something has changed a person was not allowed to use the floaties off of the island. I've been to Tower Isle five times, and have seen people being stopped when attempting to take the floats off the loungers and down into the sea. I was told that they have lost many of the floats that were issued to the island because of carelessness of users, hence the rule...Again, that has been my experience, but enforcement may depend on who is running the bar or the island on any given day.
    I can understand that restriction.

No biggie, it was a thought. Maybe the wife and I will do the trading places one day over to CSS and give it a try.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Baltofirefighter View Post
    Really???? If that is true than I have no interest in going to CTI. I love hanging out in the water on my floatie. It is not restricted at the other 3 resorts, what is the difference?

With 34 trips to CTI, we have never heard about or been told not to take out the floaties. When Syl goes out alone, I tie a long rope from the floatie to the coral on the shore. Sometimes, we may tie the rope to a very heavy rock, and use that as an anchor.

Our next trip is in 99 days, we'll have to check on this issue. Let you know in April.

Thanks Crabracer. I plan on doing a trading places in March, and if I can't float in the ocean, it just won't be the same. Let us know what you find out.

To be clear, you "CAN" float in the ocean off the regular beach with no problem. The dispute seems to be floating off the Island only and not the main beach.

Yes I got that the dispute is floating off the Island, and not the main beach. Am really curious as to what the difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    To be clear, you "CAN" float in the ocean off the regular beach with no problem. The dispute seems to be floating off the Island only and not the main beach.
    Exactly, THE ISLAND, NOT THE MAIN BEACH...and I can ONLY COMMENT ON MY EXPERIENCE, and that experience was we were not allowed to take the floats from the ISLAND. But, it seems that others have had a different experience.

WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE ALLOWED TO TAKE FLOATS FROM THE ISLAND, AND OTHERS ARE NOT...it would be nice to have a ruling on this issue, BECAUSE IT IS SOMETHING THAT WE WOULD HAVE ENJOYED VERY MUCH, AND WE WERE PREVENTED FROM DOING SAME.

When we were there, my wife and I floated from the island to the main land to grab some ice cream with friends we made while we were there. We tucked our swimsuits in the little opening that makes up the "pillow", then threw them on at about the halfway point. One of us stayed with the floaties while the others grabbed ice cream, then we floated back. No one said anything, didn't seem to be an issue. Just don't leave the floaties unattended or they will more than likely be taken.

Lots of people did it both times we've been there, in the fall. No problem.

14 days there last June, took floaties out into the sea for a cool off on four different days, never had a problem. Only access, unless you are adventurous, is via the jetty and small steps, both on the mainland (sheltered) side of the Island.

Took my own snorkeling gear and circled the Island, again no problem. Enjoyed the swim and was not bothered by the semi rough seaward side of the Island.

One thing I have not seen anyone mention is the only sandy bottom area is next to the jetty, very small and no more than waist deep. I did catch my knees on the rocks a few times but as you are only gently lounging about; it was not a problem but would suggest you wear footwear as a precaution.

TI is a wonderful place and you will soon find yourself enjoying the company of like minded people wondering what all the fuss is about.

Now you have three choices for the Island;
    Nakid.
    Naked, snorkel and flippers.
    Au Natural and sandals.
    Hope this helps?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Thanks for the reassurance, and yes it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaowei & Mal View Post
    Now you have three choices for the Island;
    Nakid.
    Naked, snorkel and flippers.
    Au Natural and sandals.?
    I thought the difference between Nakid, Naked and Au Natural was one of attitude, not what was on your feet. And I thought Couples doesn't allow Nakid.

srtaylor Surely you jest.