Hybrid View

Default CSS - Horseback Riding

Would love to know about the horseback riding excursion offsite at CSS.

What company do they use?
    Cost?
    Easy to make a reservation or do they book up quickly?
    How long are you gone from CSS?
    What kind of ride is it? (forest and/or beach?)

I am an experienced rider (have a horse here at home) but Hubby is not as experienced. I know it will be weird but I plan on bringing my own helmet (never ride w/o one regardless of how "bombproof" they say the horses are) and I know how stinky rental helmets can be. I have a TBI from an old horse riding accident in my youth. Is the ride mostly at a walk? Or are there opportunities to trot/canter?

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

I believe the use the company "Hooves" you can check out the Hooves website.

I'm not 100% sure if CSS uses the same company that CTI uses but they likely do. My husband and I went horseback riding from CTI in October, and it was not Hooves. It was run through Chukka Caribbean Adventures, and was the Ride N' Swim package. I believe the price was ~$100 per person (maybe $90 or $110 I can't remember exactly). It was very simple to make the reservation as there is a Chukka representative on site at CTI through most of the day (again, not positive about CSS but am assuming it's similar?).

The site is about 25 minutes away from CTI (so maybe 20 minutes from CSS?) and we stopped at another resort to pick up another rider on the way. We left at 8:30AM and were back by 11:30ish. The ride is a little over an hour. The group (we had about twenty riders) first walks through the trees and along the bay (walking only, no trotting or cantering), then back to the main site to change clothes (for riders and horses) for the swimming portion. You ride bareback in the water, and don't wear helmets for this portion. They lead you around the bay twice- the horses are swimming but you aren't in the actual ocean/waves. No experience is necessary- I'm an experienced rider but my husband is not and he was fine. The horses are very well kept and well behaved. The helmets are very good (I forget the brand but it was one used commonly in the US) and mandatory for the walking portion- I really don't think you would need to bring your own.

We had our own guide who focuses solely on the two of us and took a million pictures with our (waterproof) camera-- it was great!

Quote Originally Posted by aphilly View Post
    I'm not 100% sure if CSS uses the same company that CTI uses but they likely do. My husband and I went horseback riding from CTI in October, and it was not Hooves. It was run through Chukka Caribbean Adventures, and was the Ride N' Swim package. I believe the price was ~$100 per person (maybe $90 or $110 I can't remember exactly). It was very simple to make the reservation as there is a Chukka representative on site at CTI through most of the day (again, not positive about CSS but am assuming it's similar?).

The site is about 25 minutes away from CTI (so maybe 20 minutes from CSS?) and we stopped at another resort to pick up another rider on the way. We left at 8:30AM and were back by 11:30ish. The ride is a little over an hour. The group (we had about twenty riders) first walks through the trees and along the bay (walking only, no trotting or cantering), then back to the main site to change clothes (for riders and horses) for the swimming portion. You ride bareback in the water, and don't wear helmets for this portion. They lead you around the bay twice- the horses are swimming but you aren't in the actual ocean/waves. No experience is necessary- I'm an experienced rider but my husband is not and he was fine. The horses are very well kept and well behaved. The helmets are very good (I forget the brand but it was one used commonly in the US) and mandatory for the walking portion- I really don't think you would need to bring your own.

We had our own guide who focuses solely on the two of us and took a million pictures with our (waterproof) camera-- it was great!
    I was able to do a live chat with Chukka and they are the ones that provide the horseback riding excursion at CSS. Thanks again for all the info. Though I would like to do more than a walk, that's probably the best gait for my hubby. LOL The swimming part (since I've never done that) will be my thrill factor. And since you said the helmets were good, I'll just use theirs. One less thing to pack!

Quote Originally Posted by lsm1212 View Post
    I was able to do a live chat with Chukka and they are the ones that provide the horseback riding excursion at CSS. Thanks again for all the info. Though I would like to do more than a walk, that's probably the best gait for my hubby. LOL The swimming part (since I've never done that) will be my thrill factor. And since you said the helmets were good, I'll just use theirs. One less thing to pack!
    Been to same tour by Chukka on other side of island. Bring your own helmet. just sayin.
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

Quote Originally Posted by mark527 View Post
    Been to same tour by Chukka on other side of island. Bring your own helmet. just sayin.
    Do you mean pack a helmet from home? I barely have room for my toothbrush after my wife fills the bags!

Did that company take you through an old sugar cane plantation, a depressing shanty town with locals living there, and then to the ocean for the wave ride? I think we did that excursion 5 years ago while we stayed at the Sunspree in Montego Bay. The ocean part was great, while you waited your turn complimentary Red Stripes were served from a little hut over the water (tips appreciated). I would do this again!

I am also a rider with a horse at home. The husband trail rides occasionally but has limited experience. Anyway, while at css, we went to hooves and booked the private ride so we could canter and trot a bit. The ride consisted of a walk down a paved road, across a highway and then down a short trail to the beach. We trotted and cantered the trail and then arrived at the beach quickly. We then had to wait for all of the other groups to walk all the way down to the beach. We expected to ride the same amount of time as the others even if we did so at a trot. We ended up waiting around even longer for the others to take their break before going in the water. After we rode for a very short time in the water, we had another break and finally rode back up the roads to the stables. It was not worth the money. We were on the horses for a very short time. We spent most of our time waiting in the beach while being sold beer and crafts. It was a major disappointment. I spoke with the rep at the tour desk about it upon our return with the hope that they would save others the money and time. I guess for inexperienced riders this outfit might provide a fun excursion. We were not pleased. I have been riding in Negril and in the Bahamas and had excellent rides in both places so I was expecting the same here.

Thanks for all the info. Will contact CSS and see which company they use and go from there. Thanks for the heads up on the private ride

Okay, really confused now. Chukka says they do the horseback riding excursion but online (when I looked at the add on's for our trip) the company is listed as Hooves. I kinda like the Hooves better since hubby isn't a strong rider of any sort and keeping the saddle on while swimming would be best for him.

Thoughts?

I suspect VERY few riders on vacation are experienced to any great extent, and the the ride is conducted with that in mind. I/we ride once every 5 years and we had no trouble bare back in the ocean! It was awesome, and I don't think they've lost anyone yet!

Quote Originally Posted by lsm1212 View Post
    Okay, really confused now. Chukka says they do the horseback riding excursion but online (when I looked at the add on's for our trip) the company is listed as Hooves. I kinda like the Hooves better since hubby isn't a strong rider of any sort and keeping the saddle on while swimming would be best for him.

Thoughts?