Thread: Ocean swimming

Default Ocean swimming

so believe it or not I have a very unnatural fear of sharks. Thanks JAWS )Do I need to be concerned when swimming at the SA resort?
    At most beaches I can even go over my waist because if the fear.... What does the resort have to stop them from coming to make me their lunch?

Thanks in advance

Dana (and Nick but he isnt afraid at all lol)
    Name:  11053326_10206391099758955_2865319269328126468_n.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  88.6 KB

I would say no, you do not need to worry. The swimming area is roped off and you can see the bottom. I don't believe Jamaica is big on shark attacks like the Eastern seaboard of the US is.

CSA 2014
    Booked for CTI 2017

"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" ~Bob Marley

No worries

I really wouldn't worry about it, there doesn't seem to be many recorded attacks. The last was on a fisherman off shore in 2013. I even did the night snorkeling, which is creepy as hell but awesome too. I was more worried I would get stung by jellyfish than get bit by a shark, since they told use they'd be really painful.

http://www.islands.com/truth-about-caribbean-sharks

I have never once been concerned at CSA! Never even crossed my mind until I saw the question and the link above popped up in Google immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdana View Post
    so believe it or not I have a very unnatural fear of sharks. Thanks JAWS )Do I need to be concerned when swimming at the SA resort?
    At most beaches I can even go over my waist because if the fear.... What does the resort have to stop them from coming to make me their lunch?

Thanks in advance

Dana (and Nick but he isnt afraid at all lol)
    If it makes you feel better, most attacks happen in even less water than you're generally comfortable with.

Jokes (and truth nuggets) aside, you'll be fine. I would learn to shuffle your feet along the bottom due to rays, if you don't already.
    Last edited by KrisJamie; March 18th, 2016 at 03:20 PM.

Been to Swept Away a number of times and always dive. Have seen sharks but only Nurse sharks laying on the bottom and we have been 6' from them without them even moving. I'd say you are a lot more likely to get hit by a tumbling rock where you are standing than even seeing a shark while swimming!!! letting alone getting attacked by one!

Default Sharks really do

respect the rope.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    respect the rope.
    thanks- everyone has made me feel much better! lol