Thread: Caddie Tipping

Default Caddie Tipping

Does anyone know how much is an acceptable tip for a caddie at the Upton Golf Club.

I'd be interested in knowing this too. When we visited we were advised between $20-30 per caddy per person. However you also pay the $17 caddy fee at the office when you arrive. When we spoke to the caddy we had he advised that they don't get paid a salary and live from the tips...therefore it isn't really clear what the $17 is for? When we got back we did wonder if we were tipping the caddy at the right rate or not.

The standard rate is $1.00 per hole or $10 for 9 holes, or $20 for 18 holes per person. If you really enjoyed spending time with the caddie you can tip more, or if you use the caddies several times in a row, I would consider living a larger tip the last time.

Jenni

Quote Originally Posted by purplesun View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing this too. When we visited we were advised between $20-30 per caddy per person. However you also pay the $17 caddy fee at the office when you arrive. When we spoke to the caddy we had he advised that they don't get paid a salary and live from the tips...therefore it isn't really clear what the $17 is for? When we got back we did wonder if we were tipping the caddy at the right rate or not.
    Hello
    When we played last year we tipped the caddies us$20 per player. They seemed happy with this and were keen to caddy for us each time we played so guess it was about the right rate. Most days we also bought them a beer after although we didnt see many other players doing this.
    When are you out there? We are at cti fir 2 weeks arriving on 3 february.

Generally $1 per hole is a good rule of thumb.

I usually tip $20 for a round and I also buy the Caddie something to drink whenever I get something from the cart. Unless something has changed, the caddy does not get much of the Caddy Fee that you pay.

Have fun!

The $20.00 to $30.00 per caddie is correct. The $17.00 caddie fee goes to the course. Go Figure!

I played 9 holes of golf there in March and I had a great experience. I forget my Caddies name, but he was fun and informative. He quickly identified my style of play on the first 2 holes, and with his help I was able to fire +3 on a new golf course. (8 handicapper) In the process, he showed me how to pick and eat fresh mangos and coconuts. Not to mention he is a great stick, and I really enjoyed talking about golf and life in general with him. I was sad to see the round end.

Anyway, you are right on the 17 dollar fee if you are walking. Add more if you take a cart. And then the tip. I took a cart due to the heat, and since the caddie was only forecaddying(not carrying a bag) I felt that 10-15$ was about right for the 1.5 hours of work. However, as the 9 went on I found myself really enjoying my round of golf. Since I was only playing once on this vacation, I ended up tipping $20.00. Well worth it in my book. Experience of a lifetime.

When I go back, I intend to play more often and with my wife. For 9 holes I plan to tip 10$-15$ bucks per bag. If we only play once, and it is a good experience, then I will go up from there.

Upton was a fun track. Watch the greens... Half bermuda, half bent. Crazy. Hit short.... and trust your caddie.

Long and Straight,

Stadio10

I have played at both negril hills and the course in ocho rios and always left $20 on top. The seemed happy with this. It was really hot one day and I bought the caddie a water. He seemed to be in a much better mood afterwards. At both courses, I got out for under $40 total (fees plus caddie). Also, remember to bring a 5 spot for your bus driver.

Default Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by purplesun View Post
    My caddy told me the $17 mostly went to the club, they got very little of it. He told me it went for their uniform fee and some other charges to the caddy. I played 9 and tipped mine $20, hubby played 18 and tipped his $30. They are also on a rotation so once they are done with a guest they go to bottom of rotation, if business is slow its tough on them.

My husband has played the Upton course many times. When ever he returns he will get the same caddy. Most recently it has been Blossom. He will be playing when we are there Jan 18 to Jan 26. Counting.....

Carol and Dave...

Thanks for the posts - well it sounds like we tipped about right $25 for 18 holes and I would agree the caddies we had were brilliant at helping improve your game and to talk to about their lives and Jamaica and as you say well worth the money. However the bit that niggles a little still is the $17 fee if you are walking - if the round and transfers are part of the all inclusive and the caddies are not getting this fee I feel like the golf course are taking a very nice cut and really the golf isn't all included as the fee is mandatory and then you have to tip - I have no issue tipping the caddy for a great job but why the high fee if it they don't get a salary from it and the club already have their money from couples for the round? Has anyone ever questioned this and got a response?

Have heard of cow tipping, not caddie tipping...