Default Cigarette Smoking Policy?

Hi- I smoke cigarettes and I am wondering where on the grounds of CN/CSA you are able to smoke. I try and be respectful of non-smokers and I would never smoke on the beach (my own personal feelings are to not dirty up such a beautiful area). I am working on quitting so by the time I get there in 2014 I hope to be a non-smoker but I am curious.

pretty much anywhere but inside the restaurants.

Usually, you can smoke anywhere outside. However I gave up smoking for an e-cig. It's been a year and half and I don't miss them at all

You can smoke just about anywhere on the resort. You will find ashtrays by some of the loungers on the beach and by the pools. The bartenders have ashtrays at all of the bars. When we were there 2010 and I know at least the Palms restaurant had smoking and non-smoking sections. There were also ashtrays in the rooms, but I only smoked on our patio.

The Palms on longer permits smoking.

You can smoke pretty much wherever you want except in the restaurants. We just made sure we were respectful of others who don't smoke.... common courtesy =)
    They put an ashtray in the room.... but we always smoked on the patios - because who wouldn't want to enjoy their cig while looking at the beautiful views!?!?!
    You will find ashtrays everywhere around the resort, and if you don't see one, you can ask the bartenders and they will usually have one on hand!

It sounds like you already smoke with respect...you will have no troubles. Enjoy!

Is it possiable to get a non smoking room at CSS ? But sounds like most people respectful and smoke outside anyways .

We were at CSS last February and were enjoying the beautiful views from our ground floor patio, only to have to go inside because of the cigarette smoke from above. We are pretty sensitive to it.

I am or rather when I went to CN in August was a smoker and you can smoke anywhere you would like to except when your are in common area like restaurant's, shops, gym, ect... You can smoke in your room as well but as stated before you will most likely prefer to smoke on your patio/balcany. You can smoke on the beach as well, I just kept all my butts together and when I left the beach I took them with me to the trash can. LoL my wife asked several times why are you picking up other peoples ciggs, my reply was I want this place to look just as good when I return.
    You have no worries when you go just slow down and enjoy all the resort has to offer. You could not pick a better place to go. and good luck on quitting I have been smoke free for 30 days today after a 25yr habit of a pack a day.

Well all this is a relief because I was expecting the same relaxed atmosphere in Nov as we enjoyed 5 yrs ago at CSA!

I believe that smoking is prohibited in any enclosed area including rooms. This is Jamaica wide not just Couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Well all this is a relief because I was expecting the same relaxed atmosphere in Nov as we enjoyed 5 yrs ago at CSA!
    Tony, all of the foregoing posts were made in January 2013, but in June 2013, Jamaica's smoking ban went into effect. The new law precludes smoking in enclosed spaces, workplaces, and recreational facilities, to name a few. You might find that Couples' policy on smoking has changed since your last visit.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Keep in mind that this thread is a year old and some things have changed. You can no longer smoke in your room, but you can on the balcony. Also there are new rules concerning smoking at bars. Best to check at each individual resort when you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Smoking laws changed in Jamaica back in July 2013- we were just there in December 2013- no smoking in rooms, restaurants, bars. Even the bars on the beach and swim up bar are no smoking....Couples have said you can smoke on your balcony...but not in your room...You can smoke on the beach as well....

Quote Originally Posted by irishkim814 View Post
    Hi- I smoke cigarettes and I am wondering where on the grounds of CN/CSA you are able to smoke. I try and be respectful of non-smokers and I would never smoke on the beach (my own personal feelings are to not dirty up such a beautiful area). I am working on quitting so by the time I get there in 2014 I hope to be a non-smoker but I am curious.
    As I understand it, the law in Jamaica changed, I think sometime last year so smoking is not allowed in certain areas that are under cover. I don't think they allow you to smoke in your room but your balcony is okay. At CSS and SSB last July you could smoke around the pool but the bartender did not allow smoking while sitting at the bar. There are other threads on the MB that deal with this issue that include specifics. To be sure ask at the front desk when you check in. Have a great trip!

There's some well meaning folks here providing outdated information. Jamaica passed a smoking ban in July 2013. We visited CSS in December and the smoking policy had changed from the previous year. You may no longer smoke in your room, the balcony is OK. You may not smoke at the covered outdoor bars, at least not under the covered portions. The beach is OK to smoke on to include under the palapas. The pool is Ok to smole at, just not at the swim-up bar.

Thanks for the update. I don't smoke, but my wife does. I sort of thought this was how the new laws would be applied.