Default Was planning on going in October...prices...flights

I am thinking I just missed the opportune moment for purchasing flights. I noticed some variability in prices in December and decided to hold out on purchasing flights and now all I see is increases in price. Anyone with more experience ever see prices fall closer to the date of travel? Last year when we went I ended spending about $500 more because we planned our trip close to the departure date.

We booked for October the last week of December with the advice from our TA that the prices will go up after the first of the year...Unfortunately this was true. Some friends then decided this week to go with and the rate had gone up for them about $400 per person!!!!!!

It depends on where you are flying from and what flights are available. We cannot get direct from Boston so we always book early to get the flights we want and to get a good price. Keep looking on Kayak and set up a price alert. They do fluctuate, but bear in mind as seats fill prices generally go up.

We did book the end of December for October (before the 1st our TA said ) for the prices were to jump....SO glad we did! Another couple chose this week to travel with us....but the price had gone up for them about $400 a piece. Unlikely they can swing it...espeically knowing what we paid. This is by far the most we have paid in 5 trips to JA previously...but we are renewing our vows and likely going to be our last trip for awhile...Kiddos turn to pick a vacation.

if the destination is popular I doubt that prices will go down closer to the travel date.

I looked at pricing for Punta Canta in October for a february trip and the air was $450 ea, waited until the first of December to book and the prices were $950 ea.

Airline capacity is much less now and everyone wants to go somewhere warm when it is cold here.

We are looking to book another trip for November 2013. I just booked our trip for March (2013) right before Christmas (2012). Looks like airfare has gone up $125 pp. So an additional $250.

We always go in October and I don't book airfare until a month or two before going. Normally I've gotten a good price compared to buying it early.

Quote Originally Posted by Margi View Post
    We always go in October and I don't book airfare until a month or two before going. Normally I've gotten a good price compared to buying it early.
    Ditto. We've had luck buying a 6 weeks before departure. Tuesdays, after 3pm.