Thread: Rick's Cafe

Default Rick's Cafe

So my husband and I will be staying at CN in May and I am thinking I want to go to Rick's Cafe since I have heard so much about it. The question I have is, is there a shuttle that goes there from CN or do we have to get a taxi to take us there?? Also is it worth the trip?? I just thought that was a place we should see on the Negril side. Is there other things we should see or do?? Since this is the first time at CN we just don't know the "top things" we should do, so any help from all of you who have been here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hilary and David

GO! It's one on the to do list. Ricks is a great place to watch the locals. The divers are amazing and the water is spectacular. It is very touristy but it is a place that you will be glad you went at least once. I have been to Jamaica 20 times and try to go every time! Go and enjoy one of the Best Sunsets kin the world! Have fun!

Rick's was OK but if you want a real experience look up the One Love bar crawl on trip advisor

Well worth the trip if you've never been, but bring a few bucks to tip the divers, and if you plan drinking beer, buy it from the waitress walking around with RED Stripe in a bucket since she will give American $ change where the bar backs will give you Jamaican change!
    Name:  CSA 2012 (211).jpg
Views: 2377
Size:  289.8 KB

If you do plan on going, go to Tripadvisor and read the warnings first. There are two things you really should know:

1) It is very much geared toward making money and there are lots of ways they do it, including a somewhat shady "cave tour" for jumpers.

2) Read and know about the dangers of jumping off a cliff. People may tell you it's easy and perfectly safe. There are a lot of people who have sustained very serious injuries doing this, in fact there is a web site dedicated to making people aware of the dangers. Hitting the water from any height requires you to hit it correctly or suffer the consequences.

Not saying you shouldn't go, but you should know the risks before you decide to partake.

Trips to Rick's must be done by taxi now that Couples does not offer trips there any more. It is not that expensive and the resort will call you a cab. As for Rick's itself...bring money. Divers expect tips (have small bills) and drinks are not cheap. We only stopped for about an hour or two while out on another excursion to say we were there. If you are a young partying type you may want to stay longer. If the real adventurous type, have your bathing suit to jump off the cliffs yourself! It is kind of like a Margaritaville with divers.

At CSA we took a cab which turned out to be a small bus. There were only 6 of us on it. Go a little early (around 4:30) as it gets really busy close to sunset. That way there you can find a nice seat on the edge to watch the sunset and jumpers. When the driver drops you off arrange to have him pick you up about 15 mins after sunset. That way you avoid all the traffic and waiting.

CN has a scheduled trip to Rick's every day from 4 to 7. the cost is $15 per person.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Actually, Rick's does not need to be expensive. There is no charge to get in and we have spent a couple hours there without spending anything.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

The catamaran still goes there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    Trips to Rick's must be done by taxi now that Couples does not offer trips there any more. It is not that expensive and the resort will call you a cab. As for Rick's itself...bring money. Divers expect tips (have small bills) and drinks are not cheap. We only stopped for about an hour or two while out on another excursion to say we were there. If you are a young partying type you may want to stay longer. If the real adventurous type, have your bathing suit to jump off the cliffs yourself! It is kind of like a Margaritaville with divers.

Quote Originally Posted by kcroc16 View Post
    No, it never has (at least not sonce 2006)
    [

The cat doesn't go to Rick's, it goes to Pirate's Cave, just below Pushcart at Rockhouse. You used to be able to jump off the cliff there, but it is now fenced off for liability reasons. I jumped 4 times in '07, but by our return in 2010, it was closed off.

As for stuff to do in Negril that's included through CN:

1) Catamaran Cruise. Tip the staff, since they are not Couples employees.
    2) Margaritaville - you can take the shuttle on select nights or you can walk there from CSA on a Trading Places day. Tip the driver.
    3) Shopping Trip - shuttle into the town. I've heard mixed reviews, mostly negative. Tip the driver.
    4) Golf - but you do need to bring money for caddie, tips, rentals, etc.
    5) Sunset Bar Shuttle - takes you to Pushcart on top of the cliff above the Cat Cruise stop. Bring money for food/drink and tip the driver.
    6) Trading Places - If you sign up for Romance Rewards in advance, you can spend a day at CSA.

Not included excursions (some of which can be combined into one day trip of 2-3 excursions):

1) Mayfield Falls
    2) YS Falls
    3) Floyd's Pelican Bar
    4) Black River Safari
    5) Appleton Estate Rum Tour
    6) Dolphin Cove
    7) Zipline Canopy Tour
    8) River Kayaking
    9) River Tubing
    10) ATV Tour

Places to eat/drink:

1) Niah's - for beef patties
    2) 3 Dives Jerk Center - self-explanatory
    3) Cosmo's - pretty cool seafood restaurant less than 3mins by cab from CN and a short walk from CSA
    4) Pushcart (as mentioned above) - Ackee patty appetizer is to die for
    5) Ivan's

@dank120 - We will be going back to CN in March and would like to do Ricks. We don't want to eat up the entire day away from the resort. We are really just going to say we did the cliff jump at Ricks. What else is close that we could also stop by and do? I would love to do YS Falls - Ricks Cafe and then grab lunch at Cosmo's (per your recommendation). If we start at early could we be back at a reasonable time to enjoy the resort for the rest of the day? Also does any have a driver that they could recommend to stick with us?

Quote Originally Posted by joeymi View Post
    @dank120 - We will be going back to CN in March and would like to do Ricks. We don't want to eat up the entire day away from the resort. We are really just going to say we did the cliff jump at Ricks. What else is close that we could also stop by and do? I would love to do YS Falls - Ricks Cafe and then grab lunch at Cosmo's (per your recommendation). If we start at early could we be back at a reasonable time to enjoy the resort for the rest of the day? Also does any have a driver that they could recommend to stick with us?
    Rick's is less than 10 minutes from CN. It doesn't need to be combinbed with any other trip.
    [

Every time we too the Catamaran, it stopped outside Ricks so you could watch the divers for a little while. We never had anyone get off or swim over there. Not sure that they allow that.

The catamaran sails up to Rick's and stops to see the divers then turns around but does not dock there.

Quote Originally Posted by joeymi View Post
    Rick's is 10mins from CN in Negril's West End on the cliffs, and Cosmo's is only 2 minutes down the road from the resort. YS Falls is an hour and fifteen to thirty minutes away. You could get your own driver, have him take you to YS Falls, and stop at Rick's, then Cosmo's on the way back. If you left at 9a, you could be back by 3p or so, easily. Figure 3 hours total driving, an hour at the falls, an hour at Rick's and an hour at Cosmo's. We've done the Black River/YS Falls/Appleton Estate tour, which was about 9a-4p and the Zipline Canopy Tour, which was about 9a-3p. The canopy tour is in the hills southwest of MoBay and the other tour is along the south coast and into the hills north of Black River. No matter what you decide, I highly recommend getting off resort and into the countryside. It 's very cool to get out and see Jamaica. It gives you a better appreciation for the country and people.