Default First Trip To Couple Negril

I will be visiting Couples Negril for my first trip to Jamaica. Any advice on things to do? What to bring? Any tips would be helpful. Staying in a Deluxe Beachfront room May 27-June 4. Any room block suggestions? All advice and tips welcome.

My advice is it's all good...don't worry, have fun.

We're getting ready for our 4th trip to CN (1-CSA, 1-CSS). Advice:

- Don't get too hung up on room choice at CN. I think you made a great category choice...all the rooms will be great. The one surprising thing we found was initially we didn't think we'd like a 1st floor room. As it turns out (becomes we were open to just taking what they gave us) is that we LOVE it!!!! Easy in and out...and you often make friends with the Couples staff members easier, as you're sitting out on your porch and they are walking past or doing their jobs. (Okay, now I admit it...we do request 1st floor rooms, but we'd be thrilled with 2nd or 3rd floor rooms...they have beautiful views!!)

-Pool bar at any time, but for us in the mid afternoons, can be lots of fun and a great way to meet new people!

-Take time to float the day away in the calm, beautiful waters!

-Fish sandwich, calamari are so yummy at the beach grill for lunch!

-Try out the AN area, you may find you really like it!!! (And if you do...you must go to CSS!)

-What to bring? There's a great thread that's been around for years on that. Overall advice, less is better. More swimsuits than anything else. Lots of sunscreen!

-Do something over in the sports area. I got scuba certified at CN and think the world of those guys, especially Richardo!

Enjoy! Indeed, it's all very, very good.

Read the FAQs. They provide a lot of information about traveling to Jamaica and about what to expect for your first Couples vacation.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

dont pack as much as you think you need, leave room in your suitcase to bring rum cream back, pack like 3 swimsuits so you have a few days between suits so it can dry. Make sure you pack nice shoes and nice clothes to eat at some of the restaurants at night when there is a dress code for him shoes, pants, and a button up shirt for 2 of them and just sleeved shirts for others. for her a sundress is ok or as nice as you want. Other than that remember to slow down, relax and enjoy everything they have to offer that interest you and maybee a few other things that may not, couples has a amazing way of making the resort and its staff seem like they are there just for you.

p.s. once you get to the resort go to the pool bar and order a couple bob marleys and start your vacation off right. id order a few miami vice's to go along with it they are great, so are hummingbirds, and dirty bananas.

just returned from our first visit, and it is just wonderful! I took far too many clothes, as although I love dressing up on an evening, it is so relaxed that I felt some of the clothes where a bit 'over the top' so next time (and there will be a next) I will be more relaxed in my casual, if you get my drift. Day time is defiantly beach wear, so some saving here. Plenty of flat shoes as well.
    Just go with relaxation and pampering in mind, as well as plenty to eat and drink. Here's a thought; take 2 sets of clothes, one for the first week one for the second, or plenty of elasticated waistbands!

have fun, I am so envious. xx

Definitely read the message board. You'll pick up alot of great tips and helpful info from all of us who've been to Couples before.
    Enjoy!

Go snorkling and enjoy the catamaran cruise. Try a miami vice drink in the afternoon. Go to piano bar at 6:30 for cocktails. If you like photos book a session before a dinner. Takes half an hour and hopefully you will get a gorgeous sunset. The session is free...just pick the photos you like and pay for them. Some packages available. Our first time was last December and plan on returning soon! Enjoy!!!!

Take out half of what you pack - and enjoy (we will try to leave you some rum from our April trip LOL). Don't get upset at the can driver - the know the roads and driving customs. Have an open mind and open heart - the people and island are beautiful as is their spirit for life

The only thing I ever suggest is to bring some bug spray or wipes if you plan on going on the beach at night. They have these sand fleas that are ankle biters. I got them the first year and learned my lesson. Other than that...you can request a certain room block but they will not guarantee it so I really wouldn't stress. Personally...I like the blocks near the spa but that is just me. Everyone has their preference.

We are hoping to go to CN in November for our 4th trip. The staff is amazing and we always meet the greatest people. Check out the Meetup board on here. Find some people going around the same time as you and you will have friends before you even get there!

We love Jamaica and we love CN...you are going to the best place on earth so no worries mon!

Excellent choice picking CN. What's nice about CN is that all the blocks of rooms 'swarm' the beach. Unlike many resorts that have the rooms running perpendicular to the beach, CN rooms run parallel. Refer to the website for a map. Bring swimsuits and coverups. The vibe is casual so no need to get in shorts and tshirts to go for breakfast, lunch.
    Bring lots of sunscreen. They have some nice shops on the resort but the cost for things like sunscreen can be pricey. Oh, and throw in a few dryer sheets in your suitcase. The way you unpack is to put your clothes in wicker/rattan basket type drawers so dryer sheets keep your clothes smelling fresh.
    No need to dash to the beach at 6am to get a seat. There are NO bad seats and there is always room. There is so much to do, people mull around. Make sure you're social with everyone. You will feel the vibe the moment you arrive. Go with it, you won't be disappointed. And, everyone is there to relax.
    At dusk, head to the beach and look for stingrays- a neat sight to see.
    This is a small resort. We have travelled to Dominican, Mexico and Jamaica. We return to CN because f the excellent service and relaxing holiday. The rooms are fairly basic but we have always found them more than sufficient for our needs.
    Please consider getting in touch with the Rotary or Issa Foundation and making a donation. Tipping is not required but I bring gifts. And, I believe in the foundation.
    Oh, they have tie dying on the beach. If you want, bring your own white tshirt or tank. And, bring cash, the vendors are AMAZING.
    Enjoy your holiday. We are heading 'home' in 2 weeks.

I think the plan is not to have a plan. Wake up in paradise and just see what the day brings. You may go around a corner and find a Jamaican food cooking class or a hat making group. There could be a pool aerobics group dancing in the water or a big volleyball game. Swim up to the pool bar and have the special of the day (usually something with rum) Meet some new people and hang out around the waterfall. Or just find a spot on the beach and put up your red flag and enjoy beach service. This is your time. You are going to love it!

You won't need half as many clothes as you pack so give yourself more time on the beach by packing less and therefore spending less time unpacking and packing when you have to leave!!

One thing I really wish we had taken was a cheap watch for the beach...whilst you are on holiday and most days the time is really irrelevant on the days we did have things planned like the snorkelling trip etc it would have been useful to have had a watch in our bag rather than have to keep finding people to ask! Although it did dawn on me on two days before the end of our trip that when you take a picture on the camera it puts the time on it so that would have worked!

Can you walk to the seven mile beach from CN?

Quote Originally Posted by lilyjean View Post
    No...CN is in the Bloody Bay part and there is one resort to the left and then a few to the right. CSA is on the 7 mile beach so if you go there for a day you can do it then. We actually like the fact that CN isn't on the 7 mile beach. You get less foot traffic and we like that.

We'll be arriving slightly before you (18 May) for our first trip to Couples and Jamaica. We're in a Beachfront Suite as well, although it sounds like many posters recommend saving money on the room and adding days - maybe next time. Almost double digits, can't wait! See you on the beach!

"Can you walk to the seven mile beach from CN?"

It depends how far you want to walk. I run on the road from CN to CSA and back each day (5 mile round trip). About half way to CSA is a public beach which will give you access to 7 mile beach.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyjean View Post
    CN is on Seven Mile Beach. Seven Mile Beach is comprised of Long Bay, which is approximately five miles in length, and Bloody Bay, which is approximately two miles in lengthy. CN is located on Bloody Bay, and CSA is located on Long Bay.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We'll be there from May 30th to June 7th for our 5th trip to CN in two years. Yes, that's how much we love CN :-) You are in for a treat!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just worrying too much. Any must do excursions? I'm thinking about doing the One Love Bus Crawl. Super excited to be visiting Jamaica. Now only thing I'm worried about is my flight getting changed. Can't wait until May...

Quote Originally Posted by starkeviaw View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just worrying too much. Any must do excursions? I'm thinking about doing the One Love Bus Crawl. Super excited to be visiting Jamaica. Now only thing I'm worried about is my flight getting changed. Can't wait until May...
    Which airline are you flying with? We're flying American and they've already changed our flights once.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Which airline are you flying with? We're flying American and they've already changed our flights once.
    We're flying American too. So far our flights have not been changed. We will be arriving May 28 at 10:30am and departing June 4 at 4pm. *Fingers crossed* for no more flight changes.