Default If I can do it....you can too! Scars and all...

I read these boards all the time and I see all the stories of the people that are so nervous and self conscious about shedding their clothing and heading to the AN beach, so, I thought I would tell you a little bit about my first time....

In October 2011 my husband and I went to CN celebrating our 15th anniversary, my 40th birthday and my 5 year cancer free mark. As a breast cancer survivor my body is covered with over 20 inches of scars caused from a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction, but for some crazy reason I felt that I HAD to walk naked on the beach on my 40th birthday.

After a few drinks (Bob Marley's) we headed over to the AN beach, found a chair and off came the suit. After a while of sitting and getting comfortable hubby and I headed out to the water. What an amazing feeling to swim in the warm water naked! I was suprisingly comfortable, so much so that we ended up migrating over to a group of people that were congregating on their floaties.
    No one stared at me or asked any questions unless I brought it up.

We went back nearly everyday on our vacation and again to CN in Oct 2012. This April we are heading to CSS for a few days to try out SSB and then back home to CN.

The "naked" experience for me was the most empowering thing I could have ever done. I feel that it was the end of a painful journey and the acceptance of my new body, I feel so much more confident now !

So if you have doubts, just try it...you never know what it may do for you!

Congrats to you on your positive experience (and attitude, if I may be so bold!). Your review will be of enormous help to many who will umm and err about the imperfections in their body before trying AN. We were exactly the same but now would feel a little sad if we were unable to go AN on vacation. Perhaps I could ask that you copy and paste your comments into 'feedback after your vacation' thread here on the AN section. It will be great for others potential newbies to AN. Many thanks. Murtle
    Last edited by Murtle; January 23rd, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

This is a wonderful story thank you for sharing it. We are going in March and I too have some scars. You have given me some peace of mind!

Fantastic. I hope lots of other people with similar concerns will read this. You're right. It is the most empowering experience someone can have. Maybe we'll see you on trading places day, and you can visit our island. Thanks very much for posting.

Richie

Congratulations on your 15th anniversary, 40th birthday and especially your 5th year being cancer free! I can only imagine the difficult road you must have been on. I'm so glad you are better and got to enjoy the A/N experience.
    Best of luck to you and your husband.

rnjennifer,

I commend you for having the courage to even try the AN experience. It took me some time and thought before I commented on your post, but here goes.
    My wife works in the oncology outpatient department at our local hospital, so she sees many who have battled with cancer, some who have won, some who have lost. It is certainly a life altering experience that should never have to be suffered by anyone. We have the means to do so much today, but the battle against cancer still seems to elude us. At this time, our family is dealing with my step dad who is battling. We just lost my brother in law last September to Leukemia. We do understand what you have been through.
    For you to have the courage to go AN, to let people see your scars amazes me. It certainly tells me much about you. You have battled and won, you have an appreciation for life, you have an amazing hubby and family who supports you, no matter what. You are stronger than you think. To me, those scars are not ugly or unsightly. They are beauty marks. Proof of what you have beat, battle scars so to speak. Wear them with pride.
    Those who are too shy, or worried about what others may think, who cares. So what if someone is a bit larger, smaller, taller, thinner, older, younger. Compared to what you carry with you, all those things are nothing. Too bad many don't have your attitude and zest for life.
    Kudos to you for having the courage to walk naked and not care what people think. You are a better person than most for it.

Wow - we share the same story. My wife and I went to CTI for our 15th anniversary in 2010, and it was her 40th birthday. She had just completed her reconstruction from her mastectomy 7 years prior. While there, we met another woman who had the same surgery performed recently as well. She never thought it would be possible to go to the island again, but she was unphased by it once she had taken her top off.

Congrats! While I don't have any surgical scars, the tanning I did before we went on vacation only highlighted my stretch marks on my stomach, butt, and thighs. I was very nervous about that before we went, but then I decided to look at them in an entirely new light. I lost 40 lbs prior to this trip. It was not easy, but I wanted to do it so I would feel better trying the island. I decided to look at my stretch marks as my battle scars and wear them with a badge of honor. I worked hard to lose that weight (still have another 40 to go), and they serve as a reminder of how far I've come. Being naked in the sunshine and the ocean is one of the most exhilarating things I've ever experienced, and honestly, an AN beach is the great equalizer. Everyone is in the same boat.

I too have scars from a mastectomy and reconstruction. And have been cancer free now for 8 years!!! My husband wants to go to the au-natural and I promised I would give it a try. Now with your letter I feel that I can do it. We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and this vacation is our gift to ourselves.

I am a 33 year old woman who experienced AN for the first time about three years ago at CTI. Loved it! Although I wasn't apprenhensive about going, I have lived with a scar from open heart surgery all my life. Of course, I was a little more "aware" of it that day but my experiences on the island (and since at SSB at CSS) have been nothing but supportive and encouraging. The odd person will say things like "your scare makes you even more beautiful"...totally unexpected given that it was just a random comment by someone as I walked by. To be honest, my AN experiences have made me accept my scar and appreciate that it's part of my story and it's a story I'm proud to tell! To anyone reading this who has insecurities...your AN experience may just help to overcome them and allow you to feel beautiful and confident in a way you didn't know possible! Enjoy!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Kissed View Post
    I am a 33 year old woman who experienced AN for the first time about three years ago at CTI. Loved it! Although I wasn't apprenhensive about going, I have lived with a scar from open heart surgery all my life. Of course, I was a little more "aware" of it that day but my experiences on the island (and since at SSB at CSS) have been nothing but supportive and encouraging. The odd person will say things like "your scare makes you even more beautiful"...totally unexpected given that it was just a random comment by someone as I walked by. To be honest, my AN experiences have made me accept my scar and appreciate that it's part of my story and it's a story I'm proud to tell! To anyone reading this who has insecurities...your AN experience may just help to overcome them and allow you to feel beautiful and confident in a way you didn't know possible! Enjoy!
    Well said Kris...you are beautiful inside and out and I'm delighted to be able to call you my friend. Can't wait to see you in April!
    (Karen&Paul)

Karen - your post brought a tear to my eye. Words can't describe how excited we will be to see you and Paul at SSB on April 8th.
    Kris

Last year was our first trip to CN and the AN beach. I was scared to death!! Thirteen years ago, I had transplant surgery at the ripe old age of 39. I have a huge scar down the center of my stomach from my chest down past my higs. I just knew everyone would stare, laugh, or get down right disgusted seeing me. I will note, the remainder of my body looks pretty darn great for someone 53. We had such a wonderful time and never had anyone to my knowledge make me feel ugly, undesireable, etc.

We are headed back to CN from March 17th-24th and we will be back on the AN beach every day.

isn,t it funny..forty seems to be the magic age..in my case not cancer, but life had kicked me in the face enough to be brave..also just hitting forty..you just don't care anymore.i have enough compassion folr myself and others to let it all hang out..almost everyone at ssb on our trip was over forty..i could have never done it in my 20's..too self concious despite a banging body.Now in my forties having lost 90 lbs and living in a pretty loose skin suit..who cares?most freeing thing i ever did..back in july!

Hello! mJennifer, I am so happy for you and envy your strength! I can tell you are a caring person because you took the time to share your story.

I must admit, that I love A/N and enjoy everyday at SSB; however, hubby and I have decided to branch out and give CN a try. I am so comfortable on SSB....I will be 52 this year and admit that I am not the skinniest person and the "girls" have definitely been impacted by gravity, but I don't mind and my hubby doesn't mind. But boy am I nervous about the openness of CN and that first walk into the water ......After reading the stories of others on this page, I've decided to give myself a mental kick in the butt and tell myself to get over it and enjoy!:-) As Randymon says: "Lov N Life!":-)

Some great posts on this thread that should provide encouragement to those who may be nervous about their "imperfections." My wife and I have surgical scars aplenty, but are looking forward to our third trip to SSB on March 13-19. We thought about vacationing elsewhere, but find A/N, and SSB, too relaxing and friendly to pass up. Our attitudes -- SSB is the reward and part of the recovery from life's challenges, including serious surgeries. Hope all can enjoy as much as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentines10 View Post
    Some great posts on this thread that should provide encouragement to those who may be nervous about their "imperfections." My wife and I have surgical scars aplenty, but are looking forward to our third trip to SSB on March 13-19. We thought about vacationing elsewhere, but find A/N, and SSB, too relaxing and friendly to pass up. Our attitudes -- SSB is the reward and part of the recovery from life's challenges, including serious surgeries. Hope all can enjoy as much as we do.
    What a great post and way of looking at it. We will be there March 14-22, so hopefully we will meet. Paul and Frances

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I too have scars from a mastectomy and reconstruction. And have been cancer free now for 8 years!!! My husband wants to go to the au-natural and I promised I would give it a try. Now with your letter I feel that I can do it. We are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and this vacation is our gift to ourselves.
    Babs, I know you can do it! I have been a nudist for over 10 years. I am a member of a place here in Colorado. There are women of all shapes, sizes, there are three that have had mastectomy's with no reconstruction. They just enjoy the nudist life! You will be amazed at how much stress we hold in our clothes. My doctor actually was surprised when my blood pressure went down when we finally found a place in CO. We are visiting CTI for the first time this year and will be spending most of our time on the Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by grayturtless View Post
    What a great post and way of looking at it. We will be there March 14-22, so hopefully we will meet. Paul and Frances
    Paul & Frances, we will be there at almost the same times. We will be at CN from 3/17-3/24. Where will you be?

Congrads - as a 20 year cancer patient I have learned how precious life is. Family, friends and all people in general. We have enjoyed lots of nude vacations simply because of the people that we have met are NEVER judgemental. Nicely said.