Default Vow Renewal Questions

My husband and I will be returning to CSA in May for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We want to renew our vows but have an issue with the 72 hour wait policy. My brother and sister in law will also be there but will be leaving on Wednesday morning which is when we could renew our vows per the 72 hour wait policy.

Has anyone gotten around the 72 hour wait policy? And do you know why it applies to vow renewals since we are already married. LOL!
    I was also wondering if anyone has brought in their own local minister to do the vow renewals (Iím not sure if Couples even allows that) so they could do the vow renewal earlier. Or has anyone gone somewhere outside CSA to do the renewals?

Thanks so much!

Hi, my husband and I are renewing our vows on February 26th of this year. We don't arrive until Feb 24th, and wanted to renew our vos on our anniversary, so our travel agent was able to get an exception for us. I think it isn't such a big deal with the vow renewal versus an actual wedding where paperwork is required (you do have to mail a copy of your marriage certificate 45 days in advance), so you should try calling and ask if you can renew sooner. Have a great vow renewal!

kmaaby, that is a great question as we are experiencing the same exact situation!! Is there any way to either get around the policy? If not, does anyone know of a minister in Negril who will come to you? Thanks!!

I'm going to guess they have this policy in place so they can actually plan your renewal.

Wow, if that's the case there must be some pretty high maintenance vow renewing going on... I cannot imagine taking that long to plan a ceremony that will last about 15 minutes. Seriously, we just want a minister to go through the vows on the beach... we will take care of the rest!

I think that the 72 hour policy means that you must book at least a 3 day stay to allow time for arrangements to be made for the ceremony to take place. I do not believe that it means you must be on the island for 72 hours prior to the ceremony. My suggestion is to call Couples and speak to a planner to find out the details and requirements from someone who knows what they are talking about. I do know that the requirements, restrictions and fees for a vow renewal are far leaner than they are for a "wedding". I can also witness that a vow renewal is a wonderful experience for an anniversary. We did ours at CSA in '05 for our 25th anniversary and we are so glad we did. Still a wonderful memory now and I am sure for many years to come.

Have a great trip, and congratulations to all of you!

There is a requirement that people being married be in the country for a certain number of days before the ceremony, but I don't believe that law applies to renewals. I can see the resort wanting time to plan but I am guessing a quick phone call will get you the answers you want! Come back and let us know what you find out.

Thanks Everyone! Based on your recommendations I decided to call Swept Away directly and speak with the wedding coordinator. She told me to go ahead and book the vow renewal for Tuesday (we arrive on Sunday). She said the 72 hours applies more to weddings than vow renewals. So glad I called.