Thread: Running at CN

Hybrid View

Default Running at CN

Hi again.
    We are arriving in a couple of weeks. I was planning on leaving the resort to run each morning but I read that leaving CSA isn't a good idea. CN is around the corner...so to speak. Where can I run at CN? I run on my treadmill in Canada so I would like to run in the heat. Advice? Anyone want to run in the morning?

Since the first few feet of shoreline is public property, I would just run along the water line. I've never stated at CSA, but would think that you could certainly run the beach there. We would always walk the beach from CN each morning and never have had an issue.

I know Bert will chime in on this one!

You can run along the road, as the shoulders are very wide. Even though some act really skepitcal, it's not as sketchy as some people will allude to.

You can also run up the beach in Bloody Bay and back.

The gym has pretty nice treadmills, which is where I usually run. It's not exactly ice cold in there, but it does have A/C.
    Last edited by dank120; January 23rd, 2013 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    I know Bert will chime in on this one!
    Am I that predictable?
    (yeah, I guess so!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Am I that predictable?
    (yeah, I guess so!)
    Haha! After I made the mistake of suggesting it was 2.25 miles between CN and CSA (and was promptly corrected), I'll always think of you first, Bert!

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Haha! After I made the mistake of suggesting it was 2.25 miles between CN and CSA (and was promptly corrected), I'll always think of you first, Bert!
    Ha! Very funny! (though your 2.25 is likely closer to the mark...I only like to think it is 2.5 so I don't feel like I run so slowly).

We've visited CN 11 times in 9 years. Every morning of each stay I run and it's always on the road.
    In 2003 when Stefan was the Head Chef, he ran every morning as well. We met up one morning at the guard shed entrance. The guard asked my name and room number for tracking purposes of the guests.
    Stefan and I ran south on Norman Manley past the footwear resort and past it's family sister resort to an opening in the fence where the shore comes within about 90 feet from the road. We went through the fence opening and ran up the beach to Swept Away. At this point Stefan continued on down the beach toward town. Just prior to the Swept Away property he pointed out a foot path to me that lead back to the road. I ran back to the North past CN to the bend in the road (where the 2nd Riu is now) and crossed back over--always running on the right side of the road. I continued heading back towards CN till I came upon a path which leads to the Office of Nature, I ran back that path to the beach where I then started walking back up towards CN.
    This run takes about 35-40 minutes at my slow pace.
    I've repeated this routine something like 60 to 70 times. My wife knows my route and now she gets up sometime after I leave to run, gets her coffee and heads down the beach to meet me as I cool down walking back up the beach.
    I wouldn't miss my morning run. I get rid of a little Rum while running and get to see many local folks as they head to work in the morning. We wave and exchange our "morning mons", I actually think many of them awaiting a bus or a friendly ride to or from work look forward to our little morning smile and greeting.
    The road is flat with about 30 to 40 feet of adjacent shoulder to run on. There is no need to ever run out on the pavement.
    Give it a try, and I hope this helps.

I might have to see if I can try that route, barbjer. Is the path to the OON the one closest to CN or the "original" OON a bit further down?

So you're staying at CSA? I don't understand why you would want to lave the resort. CN is not "around the corner" but is several miles up the road, and running at CN isn't better than it is at CSA. At CN, you can run along the beach or run on a treadmill in the air-conditioned gym. At CSA, you can run along the beach, on a treadmill in the open-air gym, or on the outdoor running track.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

I run off site almost every day when we stay at CN. It's fine (wide shoulders, relatively light traffic). Stay on the right side of the road (since in Jamaica they drive on the left side, this will keep the oncoming traffic in front of you). Wear a bright coler shirt (I have neon-like Under Armor shirts). If you exit the main gate at CN, go right. Run for 2.5 miles past a long public stretch of 7 mile beach and you well get to CSA. Cross the street (so you can be on the right side again) and run 2.5 miles back to CN.

It actually works out great. I go for a run and my wife goes to the gym. She knows how long it takes me, so we meet at the same chairs outside of Casava Terace each morning to plan "breakfast #2" ("breakfast #1" is always room service @ ~6:30...a little something to prepare for exercise). Daily exercise + All Inclusive = guilt-free excess

Hi Bert,

thank you for the great directions. We walked off the resort last time and it was great, we had no problems. I will try it. I will also try the beach. I am looking forward to running in some heat since it's -24 in Ontario right now.
    Thanks and I will see all my fellow runners. CSA sounds amazing and the track sounds fantastic. I'll check it our if I go over there.
    Thanks to all the responded. I really appreciate the advice.

I just run up and down the beach, as the sun is coming up. Noone has ever bothered me. I would recommend running without headphones, so you can hear what is going on around you.

llivingston, my husband is a runner and runs on the beach at CN a long with others. The beach has a slight angle where the sand is packed and very flat up a few feet where the sand is softer. I believe it is a few miles from CN all the way to the last resort and back. Going off the resort along the water is never a problem. We have made friends with some of the Jamaicans at the Department of Nature. If you are considering running on the road or shoulder I should mention that the drivers are pretty crazy in JA. So be careful. We have walked to the gas station down the road and I would say that going off property is not a problem.

My wife and I run on the outdoor track at the Sports Centre across the road at CSA every morning when we're there. The track is about half a mile per lap so six laps is about 5K. The neat thing about the sports centre is that after your run you can use the lap pool to cool down so 6 laps of the track, 6 laps of the pool then back to the main resort for a breakfast you feel like you earned.

Run the beach as others have stated, also the trainer at the CN gym does a run each morning around 7-730ish you can join in with him, he is a wealth of knowledge and will guide you any way he can.

Quote Originally Posted by columbo View Post
    Run the beach as others have stated, also the trainer at the CN gym does a run each morning around 7-730ish you can join in with him, he is a wealth of knowledge and will guide you any way he can.
    What was the personal trainers name? I will have to see if he is still there next week. Unless you know?? This is my 8th trip to CN but I have never stepped foot in the gym but plan to this time! Does he give you certain workouts? Did you run with him in the gym or on the beach? I dislike the treadmill but will do it if I have to. Thanks for any info.

Bert,
    Actually as your heading south from the bend in the road towards CN it's the 2nd sand/dirt drive. So I guess it's to the original OON.
    One of the greatest things about the run is getting to address all the local folks as they prepare to start their day. We're believers in getting out and seeing the countryside. I have to laugh when I read questions about "is it safe?" We're from 30 miles OS of Cincinnati and I feel safer in Jamaica then in do in Cincinnati ------ with all things relative.
    Enjoy

Thanks barbjer.

I am a bit rigid about certain things (though not housekeeping, to my wife's dismay). One example is that I always run the same course without deviation. In Jamaica, it is CN>CSA>CN...no deviations. I have never run in the other direction...but when there in April, I will mix it up a bit and give your run a try! Just to make certain I understand, the "big bend" is marked correctly on my picture? And will that second sand drive be just west of Riu (#1) or just south (#2)?

Name:  Negril run.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  27.1 KB

Default You are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Thanks barbjer.

I am a bit rigid about certain things (though not housekeeping, to my wife's dismay). One example is that I always run the same course without deviation. In Jamaica, it is CN>CSA>CN...no deviations. I have never run in the other direction...but when there in April, I will mix it up a bit and give your run a try! Just to make certain I understand, the "big bend" is marked correctly on my picture? And will that second sand drive be just west of Riu (#1) or just south (#2)?

Name:  Negril run.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  27.1 KB
    Yes Sir I'm also a bit of a "creature of habit". Or as in Couples case----when I like something and I works well I tend to repeat it!

Also, I use the app Maymyrun with my smart phone. Anyone know if this would work using wifi if I stuck to running on the beach?
    Otherwise, I would have no clue how far I was actually running.

Last edited by Bert; February 7th, 2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: duplicate - delete

Quote Originally Posted by columbo View Post
    ...the trainer at the CN gym does a run each morning around 7-730ish you can join in with him, he is a wealth of knowledge and will guide you any way he can.
    Wayne? I did not know that. I try to get at least 2 personal training sessions with Wayne each stay. He is really good. Not knowing me as well as a regular trainer would, he does a great job of putting together a workout that is quite challenging but very safe. Mountain climbers, squats, BOSU stuff, plank variations, some stretching...I always look forward to it. Highly recommended.