Default Snorkeling gear...

just a quick question for the snorkeling lovers out there....is there any benefit in bringing your own gear??

I ALWAYS bring my own gear, even when I know it will be provided. I know my gear fits, I know my mask won't leak, and I know my snorkel will function.

You always take a chance when you rely on rental gear- there is nothing worse than a leaky mask!

Yes. First, you don't have to worry if the snorkel you're using has been properly disinfected from the last user. Second, you have a mask that you are used to and that fits. Third, you have fins that you are used to and that fit. And last, most of the time you can get on the snorkel boat if it's filled, just because you have your own gear.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Quote Originally Posted by RobnShawna View Post
    just a quick question for the snorkeling lovers out there....is there any benefit in bringing your own gear??
    The main advantages of bringing your own gear for snorkeling are your mask fits better and using your own snorkel is much more sanitary.
    We don't bring our fins we use their fins

I wouldn't use anyone elses snorkel. Sorry

We always do. It's just that much easier to have everything you know works with you. Lots to see out there and your on your own timeclock with your own stuff.

Enjoy. Rob & Shannon
    Rob & Shannon

We go out every day. We now bring our own mask and snorkels. We use their fins which fit fine. It saves us space in our luggage. If I was only going to snorkel once or twice I would use theirs. They have decent quality and do clean them in a bucket of soapy water after every use. I just don't like wasting time adjusting everything.

We always bring our own snorkel gear, even the fins. Bob has big feet! And we have been able to get on the snorkel boat even when it was full because we had our own gear.

Thank you everyone! The gear will be packed!!
    Rob & Shawna
    ...94 more days!

We bring our own.

Aside from the proper fit of the mask or the sanitation of using your own snorkel the biggest advantage may be if you normally wear glasses. masks are available with prescription lenses and can make a world of difference when looking at the wonders of the ocean while snorkeling. My wife found this out when I finally got her a prescription mask for a trip to CSA and she absolutely loved it. We take our own masks and snorkels but not swim fins as they are easier to get at the resort and don't take up valuable space and weight in our bags.

Is it true that you can only use the Couples snorkel gear on the snorkel excursion? I read that you cannot borrow it from the sport shack or boat to use around the beach unless going on the excursion?

Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    Is it true that you can only use the Couples snorkel gear on the snorkel excursion? I read that you cannot borrow it from the sport shack or boat to use around the beach unless going on the excursion?
    At least at CTI, nope, you can use your own gear. We brought along our snorkeling gear when we went, and took it on the excursion. No one said anything about it to us, no one said "hey, use our gear!"

Jason

TRM: From what I remember, you can't use the Couples snorkel gear on the beach on your own. only for the snorkeling excursions. My hubby has a full set of gear (mask, snorkel and fins). I have a mask and snorkel (no fins). So we just bring our own as he likes to snorkel around the resort. I don't need to do that but I like having my own mask/snorkel for the excursions and just use their fins.

Quote Originally Posted by warren.cple View Post
    At least at CTI, nope, you can use your own gear. We brought along our snorkeling gear when we went, and took it on the excursion. No one said anything about it to us, no one said "hey, use our gear!"

Jason
    Sorry Jason... I meant can you borrow their equipment to use at the resort beach... not just their excursion.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lsm1212 View Post
    TRM: From what I remember, you can't use the Couples snorkel gear on the beach on your own. only for the snorkeling excursions. My hubby has a full set of gear (mask, snorkel and fins). I have a mask and snorkel (no fins). So we just bring our own as he likes to snorkel around the resort. I don't need to do that but I like having my own mask/snorkel for the excursions and just use their fins.

Thanks lsm1212 - thats what I figured so I have the gear packed.... cant wait!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    Sorry Jason... I meant can you borrow their equipment to use at the resort beach... not just their excursion.. :-)
    Nope.

I will second the recommendation on the prescription mask. I have really bad eyes and my glasses make any mask leak, but with my prescription mask it is far better than using my glasses and a mask. It costs about $65 but well worth it.

We brought our own equipment but the snorkel boat only went out the first day we were there and we did not go. After that it was all yellow or red flag days (first week of January at CTI) and no snorkel boa. We could have gone snorkeling off the beach or the island, but didn't.